RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Accident with tow vehicle right before big camping trip?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Accident with tow vehicle right before big camping trip?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/26/20 10:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

No insurance is going to swoop in with white gloves and keep your life on track. Claim and repair will proceed as usual. Any immediate need will be on you to make arraignments.

Not even Jake from State Farm, Flo from Progressive? I’m sure Payton Manning would. He seems so nice....lol

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/26/20 12:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Same thing could be said for a major breakdown or accident on the road. If it happens to me I could fly home and get another vehicle or purchase one on the road. I don't worry about what if's life is to short to think of every possible thing that could go wrong.

Had a car the engine blew up in 40 years ago about 1500 miles from home. Car dealer sold me another car hooked onto the trailer and was on my way in 24 hours.

badercubed

Canandaigua, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/08/20 11:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

guidry wrote:

My buddy hit a deer a week before a big family vacation. I loaned him my truck so he could still take his 5th wheel. It’s good to have friends.
Exactly.

My buddy also smacked a deer in his GMC 1/2 ton only a few days before a big trip. They took my then F-250 to tow their TT for a week long family trip. Only annoying part of the whole thing was driving his wife's Prius for the week.

Insurance company probably isn't going to help you out and we are all in this together. I wouldn't think twice of lending my vehicle again to a friend.

2019 Apex Nano 208BHS
2018 GMC Canyon Crew Cab SLE

Been camping for 37 of my 38 years!

afidel

Cleveland

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/20 11:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

afidel wrote:

ktmrfs wrote:

my insurance company in case of accident provides a "like kind" vehicle if that's what I want. So, if it was my 3/4 diesel crew cab, that's what they would provide.

Are you sure? I explicitly asked my agent to look for a carrier and plan that would cover a vehicle capable of towing and he was not able to find one, his recommendation was to self-insure for the eventuality that I might have a breakdown or accident while on the road far from home.

You can tell who his carrier is and what the policy says by telepathy?

This is the stupid thread of the week thread. Right from the get go.

I asked a question to prompt him to make sure his coverage is what he thinks it is. I specifically asked my independent agent, who is a family friend, to look for such coverage and he came up blank. I'm not saying that it's impossible that such a policy exists somewhere, but I know that many people think they have coverage which they do not have. If he's read the fine print and is confident that his policy does have such coverage then I for one would love to know who it is with because I would investigate if that carrier and plan are available in my state as it's something I specifically shopped for.

2017 KZ Sportsmen Classic 181BH
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 long bed
E2 WDH

LVJJJ

NW WASHINGTON

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/14/20 12:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Last summer my son was towing his 19' TT with his 2005 1/2 ton Dodge Hemi and the rear end seized up for the second time (never buy one of these Dodges). He made it over Cascade Pass in Washington and found an RV park to stay in. I had to go get him. We found a rental company that rents heavy duty equipment who had a newer 1 ton Chevy with 6.0 engine and stake bed who rented it to us knowing fully that I was going to go get my son and his trailer. Darn that 6.0 engine is powerful, we were loaded to the gills with the trailer and all his stuff. So, trailer towing rentals are out there.

1994 GMC Suburban K1500
2005 Trail Cruiser TC26QBC
1965 CHEVY VAN, 292 "Big Block 6" (will still tow)
2008 HHR
L(Larry)V(Vicki)J(Jennifer)J(Jesse)J(Jason)

Arn

Ottawa Valley, Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/14/20 03:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I hit a deer 2 miles from my destination & 120 miles from home while I was towing with an F150 about 10 years ago. Truck had serious front end damage but was drivable so I went ahead & set up (it was a 13 night stay) then I drove another 2 miles to a Ford dealership to make sure the truck would be okay to keep driving. Luckily it was so it didn't affect our vacation but like your question asks, I don't know what I would have done if it wasn't drivable. Probably pay big bucks to have a specialty service tow the trailer for us which may be the only option if the vacation must go on.

Arn

1958 Me
1963 Her
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 33RLDS
2020 Silverado LTZ Crew, 5.3 Max Trailering Pkg.

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/14/20 09:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

plasticmaster wrote:

Would the auto insurance provide a loaner vehicle capable of pulling your travel trailer so you could still go on your trip? Has anyone here ever experienced this?

I've yet to find a rental company with a truck that they allow you to tow with. They always have a locking hitch pin in the receiver, or no hitch at all.
All the rental companies I've encountered only have 1/2 tons as their "big" truck.

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2009 Arctic Fox 811 (bought new 11/9/09)
2018 Timber Ridge 24RLS (bought pre-owned 3/12/20)
2008 Haulmark 8.5x20 toy box trailer

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/14/20 11:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

deltabravo wrote:

plasticmaster wrote:

Would the auto insurance provide a loaner vehicle capable of pulling your travel trailer so you could still go on your trip? Has anyone here ever experienced this?

I've yet to find a rental company with a truck that they allow you to tow with. They always have a locking hitch pin in the receiver, or no hitch at all.
All the rental companies I've encountered only have 1/2 tons as their "big" truck.

United, Herc, Sunbelt, to name a few.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/14/20 11:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LVJJJ wrote:

with his 2005 1/2 ton Dodge Hemi and the rear end seized up for the second time (never buy one of these Dodges).

That’s bull_____, I had a 2001 half ton that had 3 bad 3rd members. 1 year offering of 4.10s apparently with a bad batch of ring n pinions. Looked like a warped ring gear.
However, there’s a reason Dodge has used the same 9.25” rear end since 1970? And still does afaik. It’s because it’s a good bulletproof axle.
Your truck was an anomaly. IMO. Based on the trucks I’ve had or been responsible for.

Don’t let that issue skew your opinion. Heck I’ve had 2 of America’s favorite trucks mid 2000s F150s that were lemons. One was an absolute hot mess.

bucky

Raleigh metro

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/15/20 02:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So there I was driving my truck in 14 inches of snow to pick up a TT from a hunting camp?

2005 Cummins 3500 2WD LB quad cab dually pulling a 2014 Blue Ridge 3025RL

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Accident with tow vehicle right before big camping trip?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.