RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Solution to Trash Left Behind!

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Solution to Trash Left Behind!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
thedavidzoo

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 09/26/20 09:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

adamis wrote:

What surprises me is that we as a society have adopted the use of plastic for everything and yet only just recently are we coming up with ways to handle the waste stream. It is with much irony that our "recycling" efforts for the last 30 years have involved collecting what we can then putting it on a ship and dumping it somewhere else. Did we actually recycle anything or are we just making some people feel good about it while ignoring the problem further? Might we have done better just to bury or incinerate it ourselves where we can control the method it is done in? Today there are modern recycling plants that can effectively sort single stream waste plastic efficiently and effectively to make the end product valuable to manufacturers but that is a relatively new development.

In my own perfect world, plastic wouldn't be used for single use applications. IE, anything at a fast food resteraunt should be compositible. Any single use consumer plastic product should be designed to break down within a few weeks of exposure to UV rays or salt water. We can put a man on the moon, (or could at least at one point...) how come we can't design plastic for our potato chips that disintegrates when exposed to sun or salt water?

Yes, my thoughts EXACTLY!
I am disgusted by the various industries perpetuating this "need" for non-biodegradable plastics, our leaders, our generally willfully ignorant populace. We should all be doing so much better, it's 2020 afterall. We need to stop making excuses. Some things just seem like no-brainers to me. I guess others rather trash the planet in the name of $$ or lazyness.

I can walk a 2-3 mile loop around my immediate semi-rural neighboorhood everyday and pick up a bag full of new trash. 99% plastic or styrofoam. It is very sad to me. Don't get me started on the idiots who dump their trash at dispersed sites...

* This post was edited 09/26/20 10:05am by thedavidzoo *

2014 Ram 3500 CrewCab Diesel DRW 4x4 4.10 Aisin, Torklift Fastguns, Upper Stableloads, Timbrens
2017 Northstar 12' STC
640W solar, 400Ah lithium LiFeMnPO4 batteries

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 09/26/20 10:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is a culture.
Reminds me visit to Spain. That was a generation ago, but doubt it changed.
In Barcelona lot of people go for lunch to bars, who have small front opening, but long bar going to the back and only few tables.
So people eat the lunch and all the napkins go on the floor. At the end of lunch hr you basically have napkins on the floor up to your ankles.
Our friend coming from different culture was leaving his napkin on the plate, what made the waiter angry, becouse he had to drop the napkin on the floor.
Bare in mind that all got cleaned within hr after lunch is over.

GordonThree

Northern Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 09/26/20 10:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Instead of mailing trash back to them, just ban the offender and their entire family until they complete X hours of community service?

You'd need a huge beaurocracy to register and enforce something like that ... make everyone register for dispersed camping, and send someone to check the site after their departure.

2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/26/20 10:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

covered wagon wrote:

I found the most beautiful campsite that I go to every year twice a year. recently I've noted toilet paper scattered about. What a tacky thing to see in such a pretty spot along a stream with spawning trout and Kokanee Salmon. I think they should stop all people that do not have an RV with a bathroom and a way to haul it out. Makes me heart broken.

Well that’s a little discriminatory towards those who don’t have RVs but then again, some of y’all on here make up a very eclectic or eccentric crowd.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Geo*Boy

Unknown

View Profile

Posted: 09/26/20 12:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

specta wrote:

People dump trash because they are inconsiderate pigs, not because there's not a convenient place for them to dump it.

Its their trash and they're responsible for it. Period.

RV parks put the dumpster as far from the campers as possible so they don't have to smell it.

There are zero excuses to leave trash behind. Zero.

Absolutely.

Freep

Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 09/26/20 12:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

It is sign of the times, or changing culture.

But then there is the cleanup challenge.

There are a lot of young folks doing very good things.

2014 Lance 992
2014 Ram 3500 DRW Turbo diesel

FULLTIMEWANABE

De Winton, Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 09/26/20 12:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Absolutely not making any excuses for those that litter, but half the problems today are that we rarely if ever see garbage cans any more even in Walmart/Big Box Store parking lots. Folks generally as a whole always look for the easiest solution to their problem, so will drop or dump if no recepticals available to dispose of properly within close proximity.

Part and parcel of the problem, well at least in our neighbourhoods is that local city's have started charging through the roof to businesses and homeowners to dispose, and restricting how much garbage they can dispose of per week/bi-weekly. As well recycling fines, if not put in the correct bins, applied through no fault of the business owner when drop bys drop their garbage in cans.

It's all fine and dandy these governing bodies of various levels coming up with ideas to reduce and taxations/fines etc but indirectly they rarely if ever consider the knock on effect of doing so. This has been our experience with many things in life over the past few decades of changes implemented.

It's like all the closures over the years of Rest areas in certain states, many one after the other shut down due to cost of maintaining = surely saving lives from tired driving is priceless?

Tyler0215

Iowa

View Profile

Posted: 09/26/20 01:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some people are just pigs. Ask a rental property owner.

run100

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/26/20 03:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Love the idea of mailing trash back to the folks that generated it! I'd get a kick out of dropping the trash on their doorstep myself!

Those that litter really irritate me, even from a young age. As a teenager (many decades ago), me and my friends would go party in the desert. If a friend decided to chuck trash out the window while I was driving, I'd slam on the brakes and make him or her go pick it up. If they put up any resistance, they would find themselves having a long walk home. Not one bottle or can was ever left behind!

A group I belong to adopted a stretch of freeway and performs clean-up events a couple times a year. The amount of trash picked-up is always shocking.

Problem is, nobody feels like they should be held accountable for their actions these days. Quite sad!

2012 F350,6.7L Diesel,4x4,CC,SB,SRW
2013 Lance 855S

ranholago

MN

View Profile

Posted: 09/26/20 03:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have had rentals for years, it is eyeopening just how horrible they can be, I guess it comes from not taking responsibility for your actions.
I guess the root causes are many, some specific come to mind.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Solution to Trash Left Behind!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.