RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Near tragic event!!

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Near tragic event!!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Lightning55

Pleasanton, CA

View Profile

Posted: 09/27/20 11:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You'll probably never know the cause for sure, but I think most likely fatigued wheel studs from over tightening was the bottom line cause. I'd be worried about all the other wheels having stretched studs.

Walaby

Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/27/20 11:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

12th Man Fan wrote:

For those of you who think a TPMS will tell you if a wheel comes of, I think you are mistaken. I am not positive but I don't think they will alarm if this happens.

Mine will tell me when a sensor has lost signal. Im pretty sure if a tire went flying it would be out of range and lose the signal.

Mike

Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/27/20 12:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JKJavelin wrote:

You will get many opinions here, but I think the studs sheared from over tightening or, more probable, defective studs. You might want to replace all of the studs, and for sure, replace the other tire from that side. The remaining tire took the whole load from that side and may be compromised. I'm glad you avoided other damage.
JK
+1 on this.

Yes I have always used a torque wrench set to 105 and the oem studs would seem to stretch as the nut was tightened. It was like the steel was soft and as they were tightened it took more turn than expected before I would get a click.

Fast forward 10 years and I put disk brakes on my trailer. The lugs tighten much different and seem stronger where they snug right up and the wrench clicks firmly. Previously it would be an extra 1/4 turn where it should have been tight but had a soft finish.

I feel lucky to have never lost a wheel with the original AL-KO hardware.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 09/27/20 12:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lippert?

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 09/27/20 01:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Walaby wrote:

12th Man Fan wrote:

For those of you who think a TPMS will tell you if a wheel comes of, I think you are mistaken. I am not positive but I don't think they will alarm if this happens.

Mine will tell me when a sensor has lost signal. Im pretty sure if a tire went flying it would be out of range and lose the signal.

Mike
It strictly depends on the make and model of TPMS. The TST system has about an hour lag time between losing contact with the sensor and notifying you of an issue. Other makes have differing times.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 09/27/20 01:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just a FWIW, but some lug wrenches are not designed to be used to loosen nuts and bolts, even though they are ratchets. Especially the cheapo wrenches. Be sure to check that your particular torque wrench can be used in a counterclockwise direction. Not all of them can.

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/27/20 05:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

Just a FWIW, but some lug wrenches are not designed to be used to loosen nuts and bolts, even though they are ratchets. Especially the cheapo wrenches. Be sure to check that your particular torque wrench can be used in a counterclockwise direction. Not all of them can.

Plus they actually have to be recalibrated at some point to insure accuracy . We were required to recalibrate , don’t remember now if it was every six months or year . Not sure how important it has to be for wheel torquing , or how far out of calibration they can get . I’ve never personally had my torque wrenches checked for calibration.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Near tragic event!!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.