RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Near tragic event!!

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Near tragic event!!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 09/26/20 08:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How did you not notice there wasn't a tire when you set the chocks on???????..

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/26/20 08:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BobsYourUncle wrote:

It's amazing what goes on back there on the trailer without any thumps, bumps, or vibration.

I lost a wheel on a loaded car trailer once. I was slowing down for a highway traffic light and the wheel passed me! My first thought was OMG, somebody lost a wheel until I looked at my trailer and realized it was me. The wheel went through a red light, right between 2 cars, did a lane change and passed a car before changing lanes again and running off into the ditch without hitting anything! Amazing and I was very lucky.
I felt absolutely nothing and the trailer felt normal.

I've had 3 very severely shredded trailer tires, again without feeling a thing. One of them totaled my TT with steel belt damage and I didn't notice until I saw smoke in my mirror. And it was a single axle 69 Prowler. Should have felt something with a single axle, but nope! I was towing with a dually. Didn't feel a thing.

So yeah, I can easily see how you never noticed the missing wheel.

TPMS is king! We should all have it.

Best advice right there , TPMS system. We see some blowing it off as not necessary . Have one incident like that ,and it will make a believer out of you.

Have always checked torque , air pressure etc, but until I had a tire go flat ,and run it until it was ruined , and saw it smoking in my mirror did it make a believer out of me . Had I had a TPMS, most likely I would have been able to pull over safely somewhere ,and taken care of it. Unfortunately I had to pull over where I really didn't want to on a busy highway, and managed to get down off the road, but was not a very good spot. I have TPMS now !!!!

noteven

Turtle Island

View Profile

Posted: 09/26/20 04:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Likes to tow wrote:

JKJavelin wrote:

You will get many opinions here, but I think the studs sheared from over tightening or, more probable, defective studs. You might want to replace all of the studs, and for sure, replace the other tire from that side. The remaining tire took the whole load from that side and may be compromised. I'm glad you avoided other damage.
JK

Now this raises a question.....defective studs?? I will check the others.

Wheel studs that have been over torqued are considered compromised. They weren’t “defective” until they got stretched by over tightening.

All wheel studs have a tightening sequence and pattern as well as a specified torque value.

It is humanly possible to torque wheel nuts very close to the correct spec in an emergency without a pesky torque wrench if you practice a bit.

A wheel off incident is super dangerous to people and property until the energy in the wheel assembly is dissipated.

Likes to tow

Huntington WV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/26/20 04:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

Put a real torque wrench on the other wheels and see just how tight you made them. My guess is over tightening is the issue. When you had the new tires installed, was there another party involved?

No other party involved. I took the wheels off, went to the tire shop and had them installed and balanced. Then returned home and installed them. About two months later I started my annual maintenance of pulling each wheel, doing seals, bearing lube and brake cleaning and adjustment. If a wheel was left not correctly tightened or over tightened it was totally my fault. However I have done this for decades and never over tightened one.

Likes to tow

Huntington WV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/26/20 04:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

noteven wrote:

Likes to tow wrote:

JKJavelin wrote:

You will get many opinions here, but I think the studs sheared from over tightening or, more probable, defective studs. You might want to replace all of the studs, and for sure, replace the other tire from that side. The remaining tire took the whole load from that side and may be compromised. I'm glad you avoided other damage.
JK

Now this raises a question.....defective studs?? I will check the others.

Wheel studs that have been over torqued are considered compromised. They weren’t “defective” until they got stretched by over tightening.

All wheel studs have a tightening sequence and pattern as well as a specified torque value.

It is humanly possible to torque wheel nuts very close to the correct spec in an emergency without a pesky torque wrench if you practice a bit.

A wheel off incident is super dangerous to people and property until the energy in the wheel assembly is dissipated.

I don't believe I was running at speed when the wheel came off. I may have been in a tight turn in an intersection or turning onto a different road. The plastic dressing around the wheel well was totally undamaged. Had the tire came off at highway speed I think it would have damaged it in some way.

riltri

Lansing

View Profile

Posted: 09/26/20 05:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yep...been there...done that

[image]

Blue Ridge Mtns - NC

SpeakEasy

Western New York

View Profile

Posted: 09/26/20 06:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I spent years without using a torque wrench to put wheels on and off. Then I became a TT owner. Got myself a torque wrench and started doing things by the book.

I was surprised by how little effort it took to tighten the wheel lugs to spec.

'nuf said?

-Speak

It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB

Njmurvin

Simi Valley

View Profile

Posted: 09/26/20 06:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Scary stuff!!! I torque my wheels and air up the tires before every trip ever since my brother lost a wheel from his fifth wheel on the freeway and it went through another car's windshield. Fortunately, no one was hurt.

2020 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax 4x4 Crew Cab Standard box

2011 Arctic Fox 27.5L

riltri

Lansing

View Profile

Posted: 09/26/20 06:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't mean to hijack the thread but this is on subject. I have found the charts showing the proper torque for trailer wheels to be all over the place. Which chart do you guys use to determine the proper torque?

Likes to tow

Huntington WV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/26/20 06:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Dexter chart I COPIED from the Internet said to torque first to 60lbs then do it all again to get them at 90 to 120lbs. That's a 30 lb variance and looks like to me this makes it not overly critical. Just get them tight. I'm doing 90 from here on. However I believe the most important part of torquing wheel lug nuts to to do it again after a few miles and then check it regularly like you would tire pressure. Like one poster mentioned, the heating and cooling of brake drums may make this more critical.

When I'm doing an engine overhaul I always go exactly as the manual says and that is a specific torque setting.......not a big variation. Rod bearings and cylinder head bolts have a specific recommendation. Apparently wheels do not.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Near tragic event!!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.