|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> sway bar instructions

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/28/20 11:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Terryallan wrote:

Lynnmor wrote:

Then there are all those popular, expensive brands that can't be adjusted for slippery conditions.

You are simply not to use them in slippery conditions. your TT should not sway with out one. They are only for emergency situations.

Then all those folks with the popular, expensive brands need to get off the road at the first sign of inclement weather? Or do they need to remove all the weight distribution and then continue on?

TurnThePage

North ID

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/20 12:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

Terryallan wrote:

Lynnmor wrote:

Then there are all those popular, expensive brands that can't be adjusted for slippery conditions.

You are simply not to use them in slippery conditions. your TT should not sway with out one. They are only for emergency situations.

Then all those folks with the popular, expensive brands need to get off the road at the first sign of inclement weather? Or do they need to remove all the weight distribution and then continue on?

Me thinks that the mentioned issue/condition is strictly for the add-on friction sway bars and has nothing to do with all those popular and expensive hitches with anti-sway built in.

2015 Ram 1500
2004 Pioneer 18T6

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/28/20 03:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TurnThePage wrote:

Me thinks that the mentioned issue/condition is strictly for the add-on friction sway bars and has nothing to do with all those popular and expensive hitches with anti-sway built in.

The condition is that sway mechanisms keep the truck and trailer in line. When the tire traction is not great enough to overcome the resistance of the sway mechanism, skidding when turning will result. It does not matter what brand, style or price point is involved.

TomG2

Central Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/20 05:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Too much of anything can be a problem. I got carried away with a weight distributing hitch. When I broke the rear wheels loose while accelerating and almost lost control in the rain, I knew that I had gone too far.

TurnThePage

North ID

View Profile

Posted: 09/29/20 09:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

TurnThePage wrote:

The condition is that sway mechanisms keep the truck and trailer in line. When the tire traction is not great enough to overcome the resistance of the sway mechanism, skidding when turning will result. It does not matter what brand, style or price point is involved.
Strictly speaking, I can't argue. I just don't think it's a thing with those "expensive" hitches, while there are various warnings when using the add-on anti-sway bar.

ssthrd

Vancouver Island

View Profile

Posted: 09/29/20 10:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TurnThePage wrote:

Lynnmor wrote:

TurnThePage wrote:

Strictly speaking, I can't argue. I just don't think it's a thing with those "expensive" hitches, while there are various warnings when using the add-on anti-sway bar.

This is confusing-at least in my mind.....

I have an Equal-I-zer with 4 point sway control which uses friction at 4 points to address any sway issues. I do not understand how the effect of the systems are different. In other words, how can one system using friction be safe in slippery conditions, and another not? Since they both work to keep the trailer and the truck in line using the same principle, how can they be different?

An email from Equal-I-zer tells me that it is not an issue, but they gave no explanation about how their system works in any conditions, while others are not safe and should be removed.

Physics was always one of my best subjects, but I can't get my head around this one. Any engineers out there that can shed some light on this for me?

2013 Wilderness 2750RL
2018 GMC Denali 3500HD with Duramax
2013 Tundra Limited 5.7l Tow Package
DeeBee, JayBee, and Jed the Black Lab

canoe on top

Denver, CO, US

View Profile

Posted: 09/29/20 03:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If this was the first time in 20 years, I would guess that you towed in the rain before. Was there something different in your set up this time? Did you always remove the bars in the rain before?

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/29/20 04:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ssthrd wrote:

This is confusing-at least in my mind.....

I have an Equal-I-zer with 4 point sway control which uses friction at 4 points to address any sway issues. I do not understand how the effect of the systems are different. In other words, how can one system using friction be safe in slippery conditions, and another not? Since they both work to keep the trailer and the truck in line using the same principle, how can they be different?

An email from Equal-I-zer tells me that it is not an issue, but they gave no explanation about how their system works in any conditions, while others are not safe and should be removed.

Physics was always one of my best subjects, but I can't get my head around this one. Any engineers out there that can shed some light on this for me?

You do have your mind right, you just need to have your BS detector adjusted.

ssthrd

Vancouver Island

View Profile

Posted: 09/29/20 05:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Meaning?

ssthrd

Vancouver Island

View Profile

Posted: 09/29/20 05:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds suspicious to me too, but with this thing you can't have one without the other. Sounds like I wasted a bunch of money if I plan to travel in all types of weather.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> sway bar instructions
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.