|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Is CG info available from MFG's

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/27/20 08:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cencerrita wrote:

This is a great program to work out the loading of your RV and axle weights. We used this to work out where to place our motorbike and all the heavy things we carried when away for 3 months at a time.

http://lda2.svtech.co.uk
http://lda2.svtech.co.uk/design?type=type1 for an RV
These are interesting formulas but again you have to know the axle weights to plug into the formula. This is good after you buy the MH and get it weighed but does not help in determining what MH has the best weight distribution for better handling without having to add suspension upgrades to make it ride better.

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 09/27/20 08:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The weight/carrying capacity sticker in my RV lists the four individual wheel weights as manufactured. I don't know if they all do, but it's worth checking.

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/28/20 08:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DrewE wrote:

The weight/carrying capacity sticker in my RV lists the four individual wheel weights as manufactured. I don't know if they all do, but it's worth checking.
I have seen the total weight UVW, but not individual actual axle weights just just the axle weight ratings. I have not seen this listed on the web sites which is what I am really trying to find. When I call the sales team they don't know either, they just want to tell me about the outdoor entertainment center or indoor fireplace which I could care less about.

Atlee

Mechanicsville, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/29/20 06:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My Jayco Redhawk 22J has the required yellow sticker that gives the CCC of the RV. It also has a sticker with the recommended air pressure for the front and rear tires, plus gross axle weights. It also has several white stickers that give various load information.

I can't speak for other Class C's.

If I were interested in any advertised Class C's, I'd ask the dealer/owner for a picture of any information stickers on the door post on the drivers. There will always be a yellow one. It's required by law.

Gjac wrote:

DrewE wrote:

I have seen the total weight UVW, but not individual actual axle weights just just the axle weight ratings. I have not seen this listed on the web sites which is what I am really trying to find. When I call the sales team they don't know either, they just want to tell me about the outdoor entertainment center or indoor fireplace which I could care less about.

Erroll, Mary, Duffy the Dachshund (RIP)
2018 Jayco Redhawk 22J
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 23RB
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg

And Blue Ox WDH/Sway Control

ron.dittmer

North-East Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 09/29/20 06:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our Phoenix Cruiser is only 9'-10" to the top of the roof a/c unit. The center of gravity must be lower yet from having only a 1.5" step up from the cab floor to the house floor. For an E350 chassis, the center of gravity is about as low as you can get without it being a class "B".

BUT.......

I feel "weight distribution" along with the relationship between the wheel base and the over-all length.....that is where a lot of the "bad action" originates from.

2007 Phoenix Cruiser model 2350, with 2006 Jeep Liberty in-tow

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/01/20 06:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ron.dittmer wrote:

Our Phoenix Cruiser is only 9'-10" to the top of the roof a/c unit. The center of gravity must be lower yet from having only a 1.5" step up from the cab floor to the house floor. For an E350 chassis, the center of gravity is about as low as you can get without it being a class "B".

BUT.......

I feel "weight distribution" along with the relationship between the wheel base and the over-all length.....that is where a lot of the "bad action" originates from.
Yes I think you are right. I think if each tire carries the same load you have good weight distribution. The problem is trying to get this info before your buy your MH. It seems like they put less info today on their web site than they did 10-15 years ago. For example if the unit has a GVWR of 12,500 lbs and the UVW is 9000lbs with actual weight of the front axle of 3000 lbs and rear of 6000 lbs that should be a good riding MH. I think it becomes more critical in these shorter MH's(24ft). Most seem to have a WB of 159 ins so the only other discriminator is the weight distribution. One would hate to add 500 lbs of depleted uranium to the front end to prevent the front from being too light.

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/07/20 12:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Atlee wrote:

My Jayco Redhawk 22J has the required yellow sticker that gives the CCC of the RV. It also has a sticker with the recommended air pressure for the front and rear tires, plus gross axle weights. It also has several white stickers that give various load information.

I can't speak for other Class C's.

If I were interested in any advertised Class C's, I'd ask the dealer/owner for a picture of any information stickers on the door post on the drivers. There will always be a yellow one. It's required by law.

Gjac wrote:

DrewE wrote:

. I just looked at three new 24 ft Class C’s. Thor Quantum , Thor Daybreak, and a Forester on the Mersades chassis. All three were nice but no stickers on door jam showing actual weights only Gawr. Camping world had no scale either. I guess the best way is to ask on here if anyone has weighed their front and rear axles on a MH one was considering. Stopped at three dealerships non had scales.

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/20 05:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gjac wrote:

I just looked at three new 24 ft Class C’s. Thor Quantum , Thor Daybreak, and a Forester on the Mersades chassis. All three were nice but no stickers on door jam showing actual weights only Gawr. Camping world had no scale either. I guess the best way is to ask on here if anyone has weighed their front and rear axles on a MH one was considering. Stopped at three dealerships non had scales.

There are two stickers. The door jamb one will only list the gross weights (and tire size/pressures that correspond to maximum gross weight). There's also another sticker, often on the back of a cabinet, giving the RV dry weight, cargo capacities, tank sizes, etc. That second sticker is the one that would (possibly) have axle or wheel weights as measured or computed at the factory.

Bordercollie

Garden Grove, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/20 09:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I build RC model planes and getting the model to balance properly at the designed CG point (slightly nose-down) is essential to flyability. Class C's with a lot of rear overhang, when loaded up in the rear, may have excess weight on the rear tires and not enough on the front tires for stable steering. I would think that a short Class C, with modest rear overhang might have better weight distribution and stability in steering.

Montana170

Montana

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/20 06:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I tow a trailer with my 2006 Coach House 23' Thinking about replacing it with a newer one. I called Coach House; he gave me the front and rear axle weights with full tank of gas and full water of the model I was interested in.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Is CG info available from MFG's
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.