|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Is CG info available from MFG's

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/26/20 04:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I notice most of the TC's I have looked at on the internet post CG(center of gravity) information. I have not been able to locate this info for Class C's on the Mfg web sites. Nor have I seen any info on UVW weight, or weight on front axles or rear axles. Is there a way to find this info before you buy? Or at least a method to estimate the weight distribution? From what I read it is more important on shorter Class C's.

Flute Man

Payson, Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 09/26/20 07:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am a retired engineer and I know of no way to know that ahead of time if the manufacturer doesn’t provide it. After I bought my motorhome I loaded it up as good as I could and then had it weighed each axle separately.From that you can determine the CG at least from front to rear. I know of no easy way to measure the height of the CG or even how important that might be.To play it safe I never take the corners so fast that it becomes unsafe.

Jerry Parr
05 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350
04 Honda CR-V
Ham Radio K7OU
Retired EE
Jrparr32@gmail.com
602-321-8141
Full-timer

bobndot

USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/26/20 07:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not as important in a 'C' bc the tc sits taller in the saddle .

Jack Spratt

Maine

View Profile

Posted: 09/27/20 03:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bobndot wrote:

Actually it’s more of an aid to make sure the COG is ahead of the axle.

Leprechaun 260 DSF
2017 Big Horn FL3750

'10 Yellow Lab to keep us on our toes.

bobndot

USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/27/20 06:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jack Spratt wrote:

bobndot wrote:

Actually it’s more of an aid to make sure the COG is ahead of the axle.

Yes, my tc’s had COG markers from the mfg. I also remember how crosswinds affected handling on my basement model tc. It was more difficult to operate than my non basement tc , on the same truck.
I remember crossing some bridges where i thought of wearing a life jacket. [emoticon]

cencerrita

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/27/20 09:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is a great program to work out the loading of your RV and axle weights. We used this to work out where to place our motorbike and all the heavy things we carried when away for 3 months at a time.

http://lda2.svtech.co.uk
http://lda2.svtech.co.uk/design?type=type1 for an RV

www.cencerrita.comNow living in Pembrokeshire, Wales, UK. Seeour web site for US travels www.cencerrita.com

Z-Peller

Oceanside BC

View Profile

Posted: 09/27/20 01:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So called “ center of gravity” marked on a slide in camper carried in a truck bed has nothing to do with height or cornering stability. It is showing fore & aft center of balance for that camper so when it is loaded that point is known in relation to truck rear axle.
OP has a good point. There must be some way manufacturer can determine fore & aft center of balance on a motorhome and mark it on side of unit.

Bill..
2017 Bigfoot 10.4 camper...2016 GMC 3500 4x4 Xcab Duramax Dually...

bobndot

USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/27/20 04:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

“ center of gravity” marked on a slide in camper carried in a truck bed has nothing to do with height

That's correct [emoticon]

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 09/27/20 05:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Z-Peller wrote:

OP has a good point. There must be some way manufacturer can determine fore & aft center of balance on a motorhome and mark it on side of unit.

It's simple arithmetic given the (actual) axle weights. Obviously the center of gravity (and the weights) will vary with loading. I'm not sure what useful purpose marking the center of gravity on the side of a motorhome would serve; there's rarely if ever a need to balance it on a central pivot point.

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/27/20 08:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DrewE wrote:

Z-Peller wrote:

It's simple arithmetic given the (actual) axle weights. Obviously the center of gravity (and the weights) will vary with loading. I'm not sure what useful purpose marking the center of gravity on the side of a motorhome would serve; there's rarely if ever a need to balance it on a central pivot point.
Maybe my post wasn't clear enough, but actual weights for front and back axles are not found on MFG's web sites. If you are trying to narrow down on the MH's you like, that means if you have 5 choices all 5 would have to be weighted prior to purchase, which would be impractical. That is why I asked the question is there another way to get these weights or at least estimate them. My thought is sometimes OCC is given and if you know the GVWR you can subtract the OCC to get the UWV, then knowing the CG you at least estimate the weight distribution. Many on here report if the front axle is too light that the ride will be a little squirrely.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Is CG info available from MFG's
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.