|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Is CG info available from MFG's

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
pauldub

North of Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/20 10:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Somewhere on the interwebs there is a formula for overall length versus wheelbase that is supposed to suggest how well the vehicle will track. Someone has decided that there is a particular ratio that is desirable. I don't know how valid it is or how one would easily decide what is good. It might be worth searching for it and see if it seems reasonable. If you had CG location, I don't know how you make a valid decision as to whether or not it was good or bad.

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/09/20 12:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pauldub wrote:

Somewhere on the interwebs there is a formula for overall length versus wheelbase that is supposed to suggest how well the vehicle will track. Someone has decided that there is a particular ratio that is desirable. I don't know how valid it is or how one would easily decide what is good. It might be worth searching for it and see if it seems reasonable. If you had CG location, I don't know how you make a valid decision as to whether or not it was good or bad.
What you are referring to is the WB/L ratio. You divide the WB in ins to overall length in ins to get the ratio. For example a 24 ft MH would have a WB usually of 159 ins and an overall length of 288 in. That would yield a ratio of .55 or 55% which is suppose to be very good(More than 50%). However many on here report the front end is too light as previous posters have noted which causes handling issues. I was after actual axle weights which I have not found on mfg web sites or on the MH I was interested in. Knowing the CG only helps to estimate the weight distribution.

AJR

Close to Madison Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/20 06:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why is this CG important?

2014 Leprechaun 290QB
Chevy 2400 6.0
2015 GMC Terrain AWD

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/12/20 01:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AJR wrote:

Why is this CG important?
Read the previous post to paul. CG is only important when you don't know actual axle weights. Which you can see from my previous posts I have not been able to find on web sites or on stickers inside the MHs or asking the dealers. If you at least know where the CG is in front of the rear axle you can at least get a idea of the weight distribution. Most on here with 24 ft C's say their front end is too light and causes handling issues and have added suspension upgrades to improve handing.

AJR

Close to Madison Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/20 06:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So you are asking about weight ratio front to rear. I missed that, I guess.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Is CG info available from MFG's
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.