|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Fuel mileage 5th wheel vs travel trailer

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
TomG2

Central Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 09/27/20 11:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

3 mpg seems a bit much to lose. From 12 down to 9 mpg is 25%. I think speed, wind, terrain might also be an issue. See how next trip goes.

Who gets 12 mpg towing almost 10,000 with a gasoline fueled tow vehicle? "gets less gas mileage by about 3 mpg". Probably lucky to get 8 mpg which resulted in 5 for the travel trailer. Since we don't know the route or even the average speed, simply saying 40% less gas mileage is meaningless.

FIRECHIEFBUBBA

MICHIGAN

View Profile

Posted: 09/27/20 05:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To answer some of the questions in this topic. The truck has a cover on the bed to keep wind drag down. The first trip out was a 300 mile round trip to a campground we go to couple times a yr. With in the same state of Michigan. Speeds of 62 to 65. Mid grade gas. All same factors that we did with the 5th wheel. My thought would have been with less weight-1500 pounds and lower trailer, better gas mileage. I have to wonder if the difference being hitch over the wheels sets up different than just dragging it behind you. Leaving for 2500 mile trip next week we'll see what this shows..

TomG2

Central Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 09/27/20 06:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can change my mileage 5+ mpg (from 15-20) on the same ten mile stretch of road, if I want to. MPG statements on the Internet are subject to some degree of doubt.

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/28/20 05:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Towing this all aluminum snowmobile trailer 7x23 ft v-nose, mileage is same as my FW, about 8-9 mpg. Sled trailer is only 2,200 dry wt, with a GVWR of 6K. Loaded with 3 mountain sleds and gear about 5K. In comparison my FW is about double the weight. Only time the sled trailer gets better mpg, is with a strong tail wind.

[image]

Jerry

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/20 06:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FIRECHIEFBUBBA wrote:

To answer some of the questions in this topic. The truck has a cover on the bed to keep wind drag down. The first trip out was a 300 mile round trip to a campground we go to couple times a yr. With in the same state of Michigan. Speeds of 62 to 65. Mid grade gas. All same factors that we did with the 5th wheel. My thought would have been with less weight-1500 pounds and lower trailer, better gas mileage. I have to wonder if the difference being hitch over the wheels sets up different than just dragging it behind you. Leaving for 2500 mile trip next week we'll see what this shows..

I watched a show once (mythbusters?) where they illustrated that truck bed covers actually make MPG worse. Something about an open bed creating a "ball" of air that forces air up and over as opposed to a covered bed which created more down force. As far as MPG trailer vs a FW, I would guess MPG has more to do with the Tow vehicle, terrain, wind, and driving habits than splitting hairs about which type of condo you are pulling - lb for lb of course.

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Ridge Silverback 29rw

TomG2

Central Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/20 06:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I towed a flat bed trailer loaded with 7,000 pounds of castings and got worse mileage than towing my travel trailer. Of course I was driving 75 mph instead of 58 mph with the TT. One was for work and one was for play.

StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/20 07:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

the fith wheel should get better milage due to less of a low pressur zone behind the truck. with a trailer you have two full blowen low pressure areas (one behind the truck and the other behind the trailer both causing drag as you drive. with a fith wheel the front one is reduced therefor less drag. if your truck is a short box you would get even better milage with the 5th but its up to you if the dealing with a sliding hitch is worth it.

I had a 29 foot 8000 lb trailer and I got about 12 mpg, then I got a 39 foot 14000lbs 5th and I went up to 16.5 mpg.

Steve

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK

TomG2

Central Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/20 09:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just think of the mileage one could get with a fifty foot, 20,000 pound fiver. At least 20 mpg. Anyone top that?

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/28/20 09:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow Steve...that is terrific mpg towing a 14K FW! I'm not sure my gas 6.2 will get 16.5 mpg running empty? Maybe on a still day at 55 mph.

Jerry

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/28/20 11:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MFL wrote:

Wow Steve...that is terrific mpg towing a 14K FW! I'm not sure my gas 6.2 will get 16.5 mpg running empty? Maybe on a still day at 55 mph.

Jerry

Maybe an issue with metric to imperial conversion.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Fuel mileage 5th wheel vs travel trailer
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.