|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Window Tint

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
TECMike

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 09/27/20 08:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Has anyone experienced any problems with window tinting as it relates to seeing tow mirrors safely and rear view mirror visibility? What about night driving with side, rear, and front windows tinted?

Our brutal Texas summers towing in July and August are about to convince me and my wife that our AC needs help on our beloved old truck on long trips. I have a 2002 Ford SuperCrew diesel which has a lot of cab area to have to cool.

Any input from those who have completely tinted their truck and tow will be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Lwiddis

near Jawbone Canyon, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/27/20 08:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A properly working 2002 Ford truck AC shouldn’t need help IMO. Less cab area and glass than an Expedition.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/27/20 11:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

20% on the old Dodge.
Can use the mirrors at night if there’s any artificial light outside.
If totally dark or backing a trailer, need to roll down windows.
I have 2020 vision and can see well at night.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/27/20 11:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wouldn’t live in a sunny climate without tint. 35% min.
20% is just right imo. Gives decent privacy but not so dark to hinder night driving.

bucky

Raleigh metro

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/28/20 03:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Windshield tint too far down on the glass is illegal in most states without a medical exemption. You will get pulled over repeatedly for verification.

2005 Cummins 3500 2WD LB quad cab dually pulling a 2014 Blue Ridge 3025RL

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/20 05:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had the windows tinted on my 02 Excursion. Never had a problem seeing even at night. The Excursion has front and rear heat and air to help cool all of its interior space. The rear windows on the X are factory tinted. Are your rear windows factory tinted on your SD?
Also, when was the last time you had the AC Evan and recharged. It may just need that. I had to do mine when it was 7 years old. Sometimes they just get low, even with no signs of a leak. It's just how they are.
I say to have it evac and recharged and see how it does. Then if you want you can have the windows tinted. I know I loved not having the sun beatin in through he side windows when driving.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

pitch

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/28/20 06:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have neve seen an aftermarket tint hold up. Within several years of heat cold moisture it will begin to bubble.
As mention above dark windows are cop magnets,even a tint legal in your state may have you sitting on the side of the road in another.

garyemunson

Reno, Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/28/20 06:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our local tint shop uses a ceramic clear tint that stops the heat dead without darkening the windows.

obgraham

TriCites WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/20 11:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tint shops here seem to do a good job --mine seem to survive Arizona summers.
Just stick to what's legal, and leave the windshield alone.

Hank85713

Tucson, Az

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/20 01:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

most windshields can have a tint strip of 4-6 inches across top. It does help some particularly van windshields which are fairly large. the cab windows can be tinted just not limo dark. The problem I have with limo dark 9is I cant see at night thru them (son has it). We have tinted all vehicles and it does last but as noted above if the job is not done well they may start to bubble and the tint will fade if its cheap stuff. Look around and get recommendations from some who have had them done and go there, just watch out for low prices as that is the biggest problem.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Window Tint
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.