|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Snowbirds

Open Roads Forum  >  Snowbirds

> Looking For S. Texas Parks

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
DallasSteve

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 09/27/20 09:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm planning to winter down in South Texas, meaning the Harlingen, Brownsville, RGV area. I don't want to spend a fortune or I would probably be in South Florida, but I will spend a little extra for a nice park with some amenities. The amenities that might interest me would be things like pickleball, tennis, shuffleboard, other fun activities. Close to some nice parks with bike trails would be a plus. A park with nice streets and pads would be nice, but that's not a must have. Do some members here know of some parks there that might fit the bill? I see the parks on the AllStays website (there are a lot in the area) and I can research them one by one, but personal recommendations are always a good source.

Scottiemom

Florida/On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/20 04:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a place in MIssion. I would recommend you pick a park and stay awhile and look at other parks in the area. Then move on a bit and do the same. There are hundreds of parks to choose from.

We are a resident owned park where we own our lots. If you rent here, you have to rent from an owner. We don't have as many activities as a lot of parks, we have what the residents want.

Rent is generally cheap in the valley as opposed to Florida. You should be able to find something that fits your needs.

Dale

Dale Pace
Wife to Terry (Teacher's Pet)
2006 Tiffin Phaeton 40'(Phaeton Place)
2014 Ford Flex
2004 R-Vision Trail-lite 213 (MinnieMee)
Fulltiming since 2005

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/
Where are we?

TomG2

Central Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/20 06:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What Scottiemom said. There are over 400 RV parks with rental rates from $150/month to four times that much. With a couple of exceptions, there will be plenty of available spaces. Come on down, spend a month checking around the Valley to see what you "really" like. There are spots where one can walk to the Gulf of Mexico and others that are almost 100 miles from the beach for example. All will be warm, windy, and cheap this Winter.

alfredmay

West Milford, NJ / Donna, TX

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/20 09:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Victoria Palms in Donna and Llano Grande in Mercedes are two of the top parks and have everything you want. VP has a very active bike club.. You should call and ask if they have a first time special. You may need to book for a month to get a good price but do not book for more than a month so you will be able to move if you want to.

Alfred May
2005 Excursion V10 4.30 4x4
2002 Cedar Creek 30RBS TT by Forest River
Reese Dual Cam
Tekonsha Prodigy

DallasSteve

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/20 10:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

alfredmay wrote:

Victoria Palms in Donna and Llano Grande in Mercedes are two of the top parks and have everything you want. VP has a very active bike club.. You should call and ask if they have a first time special. You may need to book for a month to get a good price but do not book for more than a month so you will be able to move if you want to.

Thanks for those replies. Llano Grande looks like what I want, and the rates are reasonable in Nov & Dec, but they go up a lot in Jan & Feb. Is there an extra fee for the golf? Do many RV parks have a golf course? Are the other amenities free? Will resorts like that have space if I don't make reservations? Other posters say there are plenty of spaces available. Do a lot of other parks have amenities like that RV track and pickleball courts? AllStays only shows about 100 RV parks in South Texas. Can I find the others searching on Google Maps?

DallasSteve

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/20 11:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I thought of another important question: I'm in my 60s. When a park says 55+ can I bring my 40-something wife with me?

Scottiemom

Florida/On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/20 02:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DallasSteve wrote:

I thought of another important question: I'm in my 60s. When a park says 55+ can I bring my 40-something wife with me?

Most of the parks that are 55+ allow for one of the party to be 55+. The spouse can be younger.

There are many more than 100 parks. You will always be able to find a spot even if you don't reserve. But a park like Llano Grande might not have a vacancy. But there are many parks. We are on the west end of I-2, where it reverts to an expressway in Mission. There are some nice parks, Leisure VAlley, Hidden Valley, Pleasant Valley. Pleasant is a rental park,almost always vacancies and prolly more this winter because the Canadians may not be able to come down till later. Leisure and HIdden are owner owned, but there are rental sites you can see when you drive through.

Check out the Winter Texan Times website. They publish a newspaper for the winter Texans. Also Winter Texan Info.com. They have a lot of information.

Dale

pawatt

Brainerd MN / Palmview TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/28/20 03:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As said previously reservations are not required for most of the nearly 400 parks in the Valley. Come down find a place for a week or 2 and visit many parks to find a park and site you like. All sites are not created equal either. You could get an undesirable site in a nice park if you make reservations without seeing the site.
Prices range from $150 a month to 900. a month + electric for longer term stays. I also suggest you check out the many parks on Bentsen Palm Drive South of Palmview.
This will not be a normal snowbird year as many of the activities and entertainment will be canceled or modified due to Covid 19.

alfredmay

West Milford, NJ / Donna, TX

View Profile

Posted: 09/29/20 08:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP.... To answer your questions.
Very few RV resorts have golf courses.
Most amenities are free or very low cost, but golf may be the exception.
Only the larger, higher end parks have all the amenities.
Smaller parks just have some amenities and others just a rec hall.

DallasSteve

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 09/29/20 08:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

alfredmay wrote:

OP.... To answer your questions.
Very few RV resorts have golf courses.
Most amenities are free or very low cost, but golf may be the exception.
Only the larger, higher end parks have all the amenities.
Smaller parks just have some amenities and others just a rec hall.

Alfred

Thanks. That's about what I guessed. I've been in maybe 10 private RV parks so far, but I haven't been to South Texas yet, so I wasn't sure if it was different. The nicest park I've been to was the Big Texan RV Ranch in Amarillo and it was first class, but not a lot of amenities except their indoor pool. I spent a month in one in Georgetown that only had the rec hall. I spent the summer in one in Arkansas that had nothing but nice weather and a good price. :-) I don't have to have a golf course; I don't play often and I can go to a public course.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Snowbirds

> Looking For S. Texas Parks
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Snowbirds

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.