|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Hot water heater not hot enough

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/20 12:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rburke wrote:

Trailer is a 2013 Skyline Nomad Joey Select M298

That nice....
What Brand/Model is Water Heater
Atwood gas/electric 6 gal/10 gal
Suburban gas/electric 6 gal/10 gal

Similar but different controls components so Brand/Model is helpful

Simple solution would be finding bypass valve open or shower not valved out using knobs resulting in Warm Water vs HOT

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
On the Road Debt Free April '07
Off the road still Debt Free Jan. '14

rburke

Antioch, Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 10/05/20 07:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok thanks all the issue was definitely the bypass! I found the valve and turned it off and now have nice hot water while running in propane. The water is not getting hot running on electric, its warm but not hot so there is some failure in the electrical component of the water heater. Have not had time to diagnose yet but any pointers are much appreciated.

wopachop

Who run bartertown

View Profile

Posted: 10/05/20 08:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rburke wrote:

Any advice or what to check would be appreciated.
Advice given to me by professional plumbers over the years is to never ever ever touch the relief valve. Its not there to act as a tank vent. Its an emergency valve that never needs to be opened.

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 10/05/20 08:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rburke wrote:

Ok thanks all the issue was definitely the bypass! I found the valve and turned it off and now have nice hot water while running in propane. The water is not getting hot running on electric, its warm but not hot so there is some failure in the electrical component of the water heater. Have not had time to diagnose yet but any pointers are much appreciated.

That's great, and thanks for reporting back. If it works fine on LP but not so well on electric, could be simply that the anode rod is bad and needs replacing.

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Ridge Silverback 29rw

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 10/05/20 10:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

way2roll wrote:

rburke wrote:

That's great, and thanks for reporting back. If it works fine on LP but not so well on electric, could be simply that the anode rod is bad and needs replacing.

Ummm...the anode rod has nothing to do with the electric heating part specifically. It exists (on water heaters with steel tanks) to prevent corrosion to the tank by being more reactive and corroding first. The electric element would heat just as well with and without the anode rod. Atwood heaters, with their aluminum tank, have no anode rods and work fine on electric power if equipped that way.

Electric heating can take a little while on RV heaters, since the heating element isn't as powerful as the gas burner. If, after a sufficiently long time, the electric element gets water warm but not hot (and keeps it warm indefinitely), then clearly the element itself is operating, so the fault pretty much must be in the thermostat or control system.

rburke

Antioch, Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 10/05/20 02:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I will try again and give it some more time. My hot water tank is plastic and I do not see any control system to control temp. I have heard from some folks in the park that the electrical heating element can fry out if its run while the tank is empty. I am learning, but still a newbie

Dusty R

Charlotte Michigan 48813

View Profile

Posted: 10/05/20 04:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most likely the heating element has burned out.

Dusty

wopachop

Who run bartertown

View Profile

Posted: 10/05/20 05:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rburke wrote:

I do not see any control system to control temp.
What he is saying is that its possible the internal temp control is shutting off the electric element premature. You cannot adjust this yourself.

Your friends are correct you need water inside the tank before you turn the heat on. Set it to electric again, wait an hour and see if the water is finally hot.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Hot water heater not hot enough
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.