|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

> 1995 Fleetwood Flair 22ft

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
pmobin

San Jose

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/20 04:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi, newbie to RV'ing as of two weeks ago. I picked up the flair a couple weeks ago and busy fixing this and that.

On the subject of brakes

1- At 55-60 on highway the brakes pretty much are ineffective. They do engage but skiddish and gutless. I don't know if this is the way these big box rigs are or I need to fix the brakes.

2- In case of fixing, how do I find what parts to buy for rotor, pads, etc?

3- Is there a manual for the truck part of this thing? I can only find it for the home part of the motorhome : )

Many thanks happy campers
Farzad

PS I am in San Jose CA and planning to start our first continental trip early October.

Lwiddis

Camping near Pearsonville, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/28/20 04:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

“the brakes pretty much are ineffective...”

Please don’t drive the MH until the brakes work. My life may depend on it.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

MountainAir05

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/20 04:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Look at the year of the vehicle the vin for sure and figure out when the box was put on it. It will be either a Chevy or Ford. So that the year and say Ford which will be a F53 chassis to the place you deal with and if possible take the item and you can usually get it right.

Brakes yes they should be check. Ours last gas was a 99 38 foot , just over 24000 loaded. You touch the brakes you felt it. Brake pads and rotors are not that hard to find. They glazed over just like a car. You also need to get into doing a full brake fluid bleed. Suck out the master brake fluid and fill in with new and then each bleed each wheel till you get clean and new fluid at that point. Ours was done every two years with a high end fluid. Made a lot of different. Also check your rubber hose on the brakes. If they have not been replace it way past time. The can and do separate inside and can cause issues. Auto transmission fluid need to replace every few years also if driving in the Mountains or hills. Again ours was either 2/3 years due to where we live. Not sure how much you weigh in at but that something you need to know. Yell when you need something. Someone is always here. Welcome to the Forum.

ksg5000

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/20 05:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Whether you have a particular brake issue is unknown ... but I can safely say that most new RV owners are surprised that it's often hard to stop an RV. Also RV brake's take more maintenance than autos .. partly because many rigs tend to sit long periods of time and the brakes don't get used much (things rust/degrade and brake fluid accumulates water).

If your thinking of taking long distance trips in a 95 RV you should seriously consider taking the rig into a Tire/Brake shop and have both the tires and brakes inspected (often free). You should also consider having a mechanic inspect the chassis stuff - all the rubber (hoses/belts) in the engine compartment may have to be replaced and things like water pumps/radiators maybe suspect and other items like spark plug wires/distributors etc maybe due for replacement.

Kevin

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/29/20 05:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Start by telling us what chassis you have. If it is a Chevy for example have the parts guys look up 1994 p-30 and your brake pads rotors and or drums will be available. Drain old brake fluid out and put in new fluid, grease calipers at the same time. If you do this on your cars you can do it on your MH. If you never did it on your cars take it to a shop you trust.

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 09/29/20 10:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can't compare your 1995, 10,000 pound box on wheels to your 2019 Mercedes SL350. You'll get use to the braking.

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 09/29/20 01:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looking at for sale adv
The ones i saw listed all said P30 chassis Chevy v8

Radiate The Happy

Connected using Verizon and AT&T
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

pmobin

San Jose

View Profile

Posted: 09/29/20 01:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is a Chevy chassis with a 454 engine. Here is the id.

[image]

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/29/20 04:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pmobin wrote:

It is a Chevy chassis with a 454 engine. Here is the id.

[image]
I can't see your image, just look at your rear brakes, I am guessing they are drum brakes because your chassis is light at 22 ft. Are they Drum brakes? Have you done brake jobs on your cars before?

pmobin

San Jose

View Profile

Posted: 09/29/20 04:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They are drums in the back

Hi, getting close to finding the brake parts for this thing. It is down to whether it is an I beam or independent front suspension. I think it is independent. Can you guys tell? Here are the pix
https://photos.app.goo.gl/bZsS7TTMY2KSFwi3A

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

> 1995 Fleetwood Flair 22ft
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.