|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Poachng Season

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/29/20 12:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Last year and most of this one we were in Az.Now home sitting here at the computer,up late with pain, I saw a car at the end of our drive. A lot of deer in our yard and field. I've seen them stop there for a long time, and some even in the road, and just sit there watching the deer and other animals. I closed the shades, a bit, when I saw the car. Even though it is several hundred feet away they might see hairless legs.
Then ban a .357 or .38 stoutly loaded, a single shot. They are spotlighting deer again.Two years ago the Mayor our Policeman, TWRA Officers and I took turns or some times both watching the Port area.
They shot many deer, left many bodies just took the heads with antlers . Someone of us caught them year before last. High powered UTVs and entered the property near the dam when they figured out we were watching for them. They evidently figured I was the cause of them being caught as they ran into the rock planter at the end of the drive. We got home and found it hit again, yesterday. Lot of trouble and it hasn't looked good since the first time we built it.
Took the flashlight and shined it down that way to see if the car was still there but with headlights off, and was the culprit.
Gone, but a skunk was walking up the road and then into our drive. My flashlight was of no concern. Watched him for a hundred feet or so, when I saw a car's lights approaching around the curve. Cut the light and closed the door. Looked again and it was gone. Don't smell it so it is not on the rear porch/patio. The cats might keep it away but doubtful. Called the Dispatcher, got him to have someone, in the area give the port a once over.Nobody is over here this evening, and our Policeman is home, I think. I get the chance, if it doesn't rain too hard, I will look it over down there tomorrow. I hope I'm not up every night this fall and winter listening for or watching for Poachers again.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 09/29/20 04:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You might invite DNR officers to come over for coffee and cake about that time of night (Or just offer them a place to park their car under cover)

The only poaching that should be done is properly done in the kitchen. (It's a cooking term).

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/29/20 06:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wa8yxm wrote:

You might invite DNR officers to come over for coffee and cake about that time of night (Or just offer them a place to park their car under cover)

The only poaching that should be done is properly done in the kitchen. (It's a cooking term).

It may be Fish & Game's territory but someone should be called. These people are vile criminals and need to be stopped.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be Douglas Adams

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 09/29/20 06:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dang, send them to Missouri, we need some here to keep the deer population in check. Just kidding, but something needs to be done, with no real natural predators they breed like rats. Makes a person very nervous driving through treed areas at dusk.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/29/20 08:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

Dang, send them to Missouri, we need some here to keep the deer population in check. Just kidding, but something needs to be done, with no real natural predators they breed like rats. Makes a person very nervous driving through treed areas at dusk.

Actually they do have natural predators-bears, coyotes, wolves, big cats and even bobcats will try to take them down. However, the areas where deer are problematic often don't have natural predators around or the predators have easier food sources such as small game or rodents. We were in our new house for only a few months when my son hit a deer on a dark, rainy night. They are beautiful but often dangerous. They taste good, too!

Jebby14

Windsor Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 09/29/20 10:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I hate poachers. they are common on the rivers around me (fish)

short rope and a tall oak tree if a reusable solution IMO

Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

MEXICOWANDERER

las peƱas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 09/30/20 11:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Isn't it a crime to discharge a firearm within a specified distance from an occupied dwelling?

JaxDad

Greater Toronto Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/30/20 01:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MEXICOWANDERER wrote:

Isn't it a crime to discharge a firearm within a specified distance from an occupied dwelling?

In most cases it is, but if they are poaching I'm skeptical shooting too near a residence would bother them much.

naturist

Lynchburg, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/02/20 09:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MEXICOWANDERER wrote:

Most places, yes it is. Doesn't stop them, however. Had some idiot shoot at something right outside my bedroom window once. He fled when I came out of the house. Idiot.

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/02/20 05:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wa8yxm wrote:

TWRA Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency is our DNR.
They were all over it and probably the ones that caught them.
I never asked.
Former TWRA Officer and friend retired due to age,50, didn't want to retire and couldn't get Haslam to give him a job..not enough money in his bank account.
The extent they go to to just catch one poacher etc is astounding. he ws single, now married , because he spent his life it seemed in a blind or hiding in bushes or counting/auditing the nut crops...and in our Boy Scout Troop.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Poachng Season
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.