|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Winterizing Travel Trailer

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
rfloyd99

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/29/20 12:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We live in Florida, so have never needed to do this until now. We're leaving our TT in Colorado at 8,300 ft elevation, so very cold at times, for several months. Leaving it at a lower elevation wouldn't solve the problem, still very cold, and my family's place is free.

I've researched it, and could do either the antifreeze method, or the compressed air blowout. One site said the blowout method is only recommended for moderately cold areas, but I'm not sure why that would be true.

Please let me know your thoughts on this, plus any tips you may have for either method.

I will be buying a cover for it, and will cover the tires. It will be stored for 10 months, October through June. Any tips for this lengthy storage also appreciated.

Thanks!

ZINGERLITE

Union Lake, MI

View Profile

Posted: 09/29/20 12:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Id say blow it out then run antifreeze through it. It takes 20min and only cost a few dollars. Cheap insurance. then you don't have to worry about it when your 1000mi away and hear about a cold snap in colorado.

ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/29/20 12:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cheap insurance is right when you do both - blow it out and run antifreeze through. We used to just blow it out. One winter, we forgot to open the toilet valve while running the compressed air in and it cracked that valve. Now we blow it out and run the antifreeze through holding that valve open to run till we see the pink stuff. The only thing I don't like is the smell of the antifreeze in the spring. No matter how much we flush, there always seems to be some left behind.

2011 Bighorn 3055RL
2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley BD3
1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica and Mabel, both Rat Terriers!

Lwiddis

Camping near Pearsonville, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/29/20 01:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

x3 on both.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/29/20 01:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would never want to trust the blow out method. I am not sure you can get all the water out of every location. RV antifreeze works well if you follow the manufacturer's protocol. The cost is minimal.

kellem

Shenandoah valley,VA

View Profile

Posted: 09/29/20 03:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

20 years and less than 2 gallons of antifreeze to winterize.....air vs antifreeze? Neither freeze but I'll take antifreeze.

Make sure you drain water heater and bypass it during the process.

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 09/29/20 03:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've always used the compressed air method, and it works fine if you take your time, and is easier to dewinterize come spring. That said, both methods are perfectly effective if done properly.

The idea that compressed air is only valid for moderately freezing temperatures is absolute foolishness. Water freezes when it's below freezing, and it doesn't freeze "more" because it's far below freezing. Either the plumbing is (basically) free of water or its not; if it is, you're good for any temperature, and if it's not, you should avoid conditions where it would freeze and burst fittings, etc.

Latner

Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 09/29/20 03:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DrewE wrote:

I've always used the compressed air method, and it works fine if you take your time, and is easier to dewinterize come spring. That said, both methods are perfectly effective if done properly.

The idea that compressed air is only valid for moderately freezing temperatures is absolute foolishness. Water freezes when it's below freezing, and it doesn't freeze "more" because it's far below freezing. Either the plumbing is (basically) free of water or its not; if it is, you're good for any temperature, and if it's not, you should avoid conditions where it would freeze and burst fittings, etc.

X2

JaxDad

Greater Toronto Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/29/20 04:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ReneeG wrote:

We used to just blow it out. One winter, we forgot to open the toilet valve while running the compressed air in and it cracked that valve.

I’m not quite sure how forgetting a step has anything to do with the methodology. I’m pretty sure if you’d forgotten the toilet using pink it still would have frozen and cracked.

In my case pink stuff is completely unworkable, I winterize / use / winterize numerous times per winter. With air all I have to is switch on the water pump and open a tap. No muss, no fuss, no smell. I can (and do often) literally do it going down the highway.

kellem

Shenandoah valley,VA

View Profile

Posted: 09/29/20 05:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JaxDad wrote:

ReneeG wrote:

We used to just blow it out. One winter, we forgot to open the toilet valve while running the compressed air in and it cracked that valve.

I’m not quite sure how forgetting a step has anything to do with the methodology. I’m pretty sure if you’d forgotten the toilet using pink it still would have frozen and cracked.

In my case pink stuff is completely unworkable, I winterize / use / winterize numerous times per winter. With air all I have to is switch on the water pump and open a tap. No muss, no fuss, no smell. I can (and do often) literally do it going down the highway.

Your saying your water pump alone flushes all lines of H20 ?
City water hookup ?
Low point drains ?
Outside shower ?
Water heater ?
Traps ?

There's more to this story.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Winterizing Travel Trailer
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.