|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Winterizing Travel Trailer

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
IDman

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 09/29/20 06:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When we lived in Colorado, I used the blow-out ONLY if we had an early and unexpected cold spell coming in for a day or night. It works fine short-term but not for the winter.
Use anti-freeze!

JaxDad

Greater Toronto Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/30/20 05:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kellem wrote:

JaxDad wrote:

ReneeG wrote:

We used to just blow it out. One winter, we forgot to open the toilet valve while running the compressed air in and it cracked that valve.

I’m not quite sure how forgetting a step has anything to do with the methodology. I’m pretty sure if you’d forgotten the toilet using pink it still would have frozen and cracked.

In my case pink stuff is completely unworkable, I winterize / use / winterize numerous times per winter. With air all I have to is switch on the water pump and open a tap. No muss, no fuss, no smell. I can (and do often) literally do it going down the highway.

Your saying your water pump alone flushes all lines of H20 ?
City water hookup ?
Low point drains ?
Outside shower ?
Water heater ?
Traps ?

There's more to this story.

No, you misunderstood me, my UNwinterizing process is to switch on the pump and open a tap. No pink stuff to flush, or taste.

pitch

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/30/20 06:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am in upstate NY. our freezing here is the same temperature as Colorado's freezing. First year we used the pink stuff. Never again. we had foamy water for most of that season.
I thoroughly and completely blow it out. Takes time to do it right,ain''t gonna get done during commercials, blow it turn one valve at a time let it settle and do it again

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/30/20 06:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pitch wrote:

I am in upstate NY. our freezing here is the same temperature as Colorado's freezing. First year we used the pink stuff. Never again. we had foamy water for most of that season.
I thoroughly and completely blow it out. Takes time to do it right,ain''t gonna get done during commercials, blow it turn one valve at a time let it settle and do it again

I buy the cheapest available RV antifreeze, usually from Walmart. I have never had even a hint of "foamy water". As soon as I put fresh water in the system, it flushes out the antifreeze with no hint of foam, residue, color or odor of any type.

Did you follow typical winterizing protocols? I hope you did not add antifreeze directly to the water tank. Most tanks will not drain completely sometimes leaving more than a gallon behind. That water lays on the bottom of the tank and does no harm when it freezes but it can make rinsing the tank difficult.

If you use the blow out method, you need to make sure you get every supply line and you blow out sufficiently to be sure water does not resettle in low areas. You also need to be sure you blow out all of the waste lines. That is difficult for most RVs. The drain lines are large and contain traps to contain tank odors. It is almost impossible to blow them out. Many people who do the blow out method still add antifreeze to the traps and waste lines. The water pump is also an issue. There is no way to blow out the pump and I would not want to run it dry. It is necessary to aspirate some antifreeze into the pump. I have a separate pump for the toilet. There is no access and do way to blow out the pump or any of the toilet water supply lines.

It is easy to aspirate antifreeze throughout the complete supply and drain lines and all wet parts of the RV. It is not easy to blow them all out of all remaining water. As a compromise you can use antifreeze and then blow it out afterwards.

SpeakEasy

Western New York

View Profile

Posted: 09/30/20 07:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pitch wrote:

Sounds like you added antifreeze directly to your fresh water tank. Been there; done that. Never again.

The proper way to use antifreeze is to pump it into all the lines WITHOUT adding it to the fresh water tank. Then when you begin to run fresh water through in the spring, it will flush ALL the antifreeze out of all the lines and fixtures immediately. No after taste; certainly no foam.

-Speak

It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 09/30/20 07:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You would feel better using antifreeze. And be safer.
Truth is. IF you are going to run antifreeze thru it. Blowing it out first is a waste of time. The antifreeze will displace any water in the system. that is what it does.

Now next thing. IF you use the winterizing kit inside the RV. Please remember to let the antifreeze run out the city water connector. There is a button inside the hose connector that you can press with a screw driver. However, Remember to stand to one side, as there will be pressure on it. Ask me how I know.

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 09/30/20 07:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I used antifreeze once, about 25 years ago, in a 1977 Pace Arrow Class A. That was the one and only time I have ever used it, except in drain traps and the toilet flush valve.
I have used the blow out method ever since, with no problems. After all, if it works for underground sprinkler systems that have no "low point drains", it should work for RV water systems that DO have "low point drains".
It works for me, YMMV.

CM1, USN (RET)
2002 Fleetwood Southwind 32V, Ford V10
Daily Driver: '06 PT Cruiser Turbo
Toad: '05 Wrangler Unlimited
Toy: 1999 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, Auto, 4X4
Other toys: 2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/30/20 07:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JaxDad wrote:

ReneeG wrote:

We used to just blow it out. One winter, we forgot to open the toilet valve while running the compressed air in and it cracked that valve.

I’m not quite sure how forgetting a step has anything to do with the methodology. I’m pretty sure if you’d forgotten the toilet using pink it still would have frozen and cracked.

In my case pink stuff is completely unworkable, I winterize / use / winterize numerous times per winter. With air all I have to is switch on the water pump and open a tap. No muss, no fuss, no smell. I can (and do often) literally do it going down the highway.

For us, running each faucet or valve till we see the pink stuff come out is a step (sinks, toilet, showers).

2011 Bighorn 3055RL
2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley BD3
1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica and Mabel, both Rat Terriers!

magicbus

Nantucket Island, MA

View Profile

Posted: 09/30/20 08:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's always entertaining when this comes up. There is always one blow-out side, one pink stuff only side, and one both side. I do miss the days on my Country Coach when I could just open the low point drains and faucets and call it a day. That coach was well plumbed!

Dave

Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

kellem

Shenandoah valley,VA

View Profile

Posted: 09/30/20 02:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Terryallan wrote:

You would feel better using antifreeze. And be safer.
Truth is. IF you are going to run antifreeze thru it. Blowing it out first is a waste of time. The antifreeze will displace any water in the system. that is what it does.

Now next thing. IF you use the winterizing kit inside the RV. Please remember to let the antifreeze run out the city water connector. There is a button inside the hose connector that you can press with a screw driver. However, Remember to stand to one side, as there will be pressure on it. Ask me how I know.

Be careful with relief valve on the city water hookup as you could potentially lose the seal under pressure.
Best way I've found was to relieve some pressure at the outside shower or sink with the water pump off before pressing on city valve.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Winterizing Travel Trailer
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.