|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Fuelly mileage of the big three diesels

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/20 06:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My new 2020 6.7l f350 long bed gets about 19 hwy not towing and 16.5 around town. Towing (I've only towed our FW about 1,000 miles) but Hwy it's about 14-16 depending on terrain. The new 10 speed transmission is amazing.

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/20 07:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sjm9911 wrote:

Saving a mile per gallon is fun to talk about but if your needing to calculate it for savings, its probably a good idea not to get a camper. I really dont care about mileage, just that i can tow it safely.

I paid about $4k more for my Ford than what I could have bought an equivalent Ran for. If the Ram would save me an additional $3k on fuel over the life of the truck it starts to get to the point where putting a bag over my head and driving a Ram becomes a viable option,

2021 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

ksss

Eastern Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/20 07:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4ord wrote:

Sjm9911 wrote:

Saving a mile per gallon is fun to talk about but if your needing to calculate it for savings, its probably a good idea not to get a camper. I really dont care about mileage, just that i can tow it safely.

I paid about $4k more for my Ford than what I could have bought an equivalent Ran for. If the Ram would save me an additional $3k on fuel over the life of the truck it starts to get to the point where putting a bag over my head and driving a Ram becomes a viable option,

Just the laugh I needed this morning!

2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/01/20 08:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4ord wrote:

Sjm9911 wrote:

Thats funny, but yes I would rather be seen in a Ford [emoticon] My previous truck was the 99 Superduty 7.3. Owned it for nearly 16 years .

It was pure economics with me, they wanted 5K more for the 2014 Ford Lariat ,then the 2014 Ram Laramie.

It been a good truck , but was not bought thinking I was going to get a couple miles per gallon more on mileage. [emoticon] If I was going to trade today it would be back to the Ford. As one said hooked up to a trailer or fifth wheel they are all 10-11 on mileage.

ShinerBock

LVTX

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/20 08:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fuel mileage wasn't even a consideration when I bought my 2014 Ram 2500 CTD either. Neither was cost. It mainly came down to me being familiar with the Cummins, it's reliability, and being able to work on it myself. My company also is a Cummins distributor so I could get Cummins parts and software cheap.

Then again, we also own nine Ford dealerships so I could do the same for Ford, but after looking under the hood of my brother's 2012 F350 PSD he had at the time, I got turned away. I knew I wasn't going to keep my truck stock and was going to replace the turbo, manifolds, injectors, and so on later on down the road. Replacing all this stuff in the PSD myself would have been a nightmare compared to how easy it was in my Cummins. I do wish the Ram had a stout/tunable transmission like the Ford does though. These are just my preferences and everyone is different. I just posted the fuel mileage to give people a clue on what to expect in the real world.

Not trying to start a brand war and I am not sure about the new 2020 model, but I would tow with the newer PSD's before trading that Ram in. My brother traded in his 2012 for a 2014 Ram 2500 and he stated multiple times that it tows better(stability wise) that his F350. My father in law said the same thing when he had to borrow my truck because his 2019 F350 was in the shop due to a recall. Both said the 2500 handles the bounce/sway considerably better than their F350s. May not be a big deal for some.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/20 09:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4ord wrote:

Sjm9911 wrote:

With the kinda chicks that dig Ford owners, you should have a good stock of bags already, so no cost there! Lol
Cheers man!

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/20 09:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Shiner, it’s hard for some to accept facts.
Probably like you, I’m partly here for the entertainment and partly to try to keep the....ahem..... “misguided” from “misguiding” others that ask real questions That they don’t know the answers to.

Deezul haterz be deezul haterz. Never change.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/20 09:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"Makes me wonder what it will be when they slap the 8 speed in the Ram diesels."

HMMMM. you have some info???

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Groover

Pulaski, TN

View Profile

Posted: 10/02/20 07:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have seen a lot of comments here that people don't care about mileage. I can understand not caring about fuel expense but I not only enjoy miles per gallon, I also enjoy miles per tank which is a function of miles per gallon. I also enjoy payload, which is related to tank size. And I enjoy not having to spend a significant portion of my trip looking for and then pumping fuel, even in good weather.

The point here is that there are benefits to good mpg's beyond the impact to your next credit card statement.

Devo the dog

Moved out of crazy California

View Profile

Posted: 10/02/20 07:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

southernsky wrote:

That being said, when you hook up a trailer to them, they all get about 10-11 mpg

Very true.

I still have a 2005 Ford V10 dually, DRW 2WD with 4.30 gears. This truck is bullet proof so I kept it.
I also have a 2019 Ram HO dually, DRW 4WD with 3.73 gears (but is it a Fiat or a Peugeot?). I ordered from the factory in Mexico.

When towing the same 5th wheel, I have lots of data that proves that the Ford will get as little as 8.4 mpg on a trip (round trip) and as much as 10 mpg (round trip). Overall, I figure on 9.4 mpg.

The new Ram has averaged as little as 9.0 mpg (round trip) and as high as 10.7 mpg (round trip).

The only difference is that the Peugeot has better downhill engine braking and is 15 years newer. I won't drive it to the local dump because it is a wussy french truck. The Ford does the dirty work. I did upgrade the brakes on the Ford and they are awesome. But, the engine braking on the Peugeot is nice.

The Peugeot cost a lot more. If the overall cost of the truck really mattered, I wouldn't have bought a new truck. The Ford works. But in the end, "the want" was greater than "the need." I also waited for the 2019 Ram because it was so much quieter than the 2018, and the 2019 passenger power seat finally matched what Ford offered as an option 20+ years ago. LOL.

If Ford offered a truck that had a decent 12" screen in the cab and didn't have the butt ugly DRW fenders, I would have bought the Ford. But, they don't and probably won't for years.

The dodge fan boys hate the dodge/ram dealerships. Now that I have owned a Mexican Fiat Oui-Oui (La fiat wee-wee), I understand why.
The only thing more incompetent than Ram is Bye-don and his supporters.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Fuelly mileage of the big three diesels
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.