|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Fuelly mileage of the big three diesels

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 10/03/20 11:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If it looks like a Dodge, sounds like a Dodge, rides like a Dodge, and......
Dodge claims it as one of their vehicles on their official website,
It’s a Dodge [emoticon]

[emoticon][emoticon]

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450

Devo the dog

Moved out of crazy California

View Profile

Posted: 10/03/20 11:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And if Ram claims it's a Ram, it's also a Ram.

[image]

www.ramtrucks.com

But I understand why it's also a Dodge to the knuckle-draggers. Once a knuckle-dragger, always a knuckle-dragger. These are the people that held back Dodge/Ram/Chrysler/Fiat/Peugeot from advancing the trucks. All they want is a manual transmission and a loud engine. Nothing else matters. LOL.

The dodge fan boys hate the dodge/ram dealerships. Now that I have owned a Mexican Fiat Oui-Oui (La fiat wee-wee), I understand why.
The only thing more incompetent than Ram is Bye-don and his supporters.

wing_zealot

East of the Mississippi

View Profile

Posted: 10/03/20 11:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ShinerBock wrote:

wing_zealot wrote:

Incomplete at best. You don't have insurance, repairs, depreciation, cost of money, ... just to name a few. You don't even accurately reflect the $10,000.00+ increase in initial cost of the diesel vs. gas to start with.

Repairs are null in 100k miles since all diesels on the market today have a 100k mile warranty from the factory. Insurance is within $5. Depreciation is factored in on resale. Cost of money is only a factor IF you paid cash and where going to invest that money. Most borrow the money. What else you got?

Also, as I have said in the past when I have posted this spreadsheet. These numbers are based on fuel cost, resale values, and so on in my region. Not everyone will be the same or can attain a 1.95% interest rate like I did. Hence the reason why I tell people to do the math for themselves and they will see that upfront cost $8k starts to decrease dramatically after everything is calculated. In fact, you pay way more than the upfront cost going from the 5.7L to the 6.4L gas in the long run due to higher maintenance costs yet no one talks about "recouping" their money there. Why is it only brought up on the diesel? It is an engine upgrade just like the diesel is it not?
You don't have to take my word for it, you can see the experts word for it based on real facts instead of incomplete and inaccurate conjecture.
Clicky

Devo the dog

View Profile

Posted: 10/03/20 11:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Foreplay to a Ram owner: "Honey, git in the trailer."

Foreplay to a Dodge owner: "Honey, git in the truck."

LOL.

32vld

LI, NY

View Profile

Posted: 10/03/20 11:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A Fiat by any other name is still a Fiat.

I had a 2005 Fiat TJ Unlimited.

Devo the dog

View Profile

Posted: 10/03/20 12:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

32vld wrote:

A Fiat by any other name is still a Fiat.

I had a 2005 Fiat TJ Unlimited.

That's a fiat.

I had '67 CJ5. It was manufactured by Willys, had a Buick engine, a Ford transmission, a Warn Overdrive and Dana axles.

Some called it a Jeep. I simply called it a machine.

* This post was edited 10/03/20 12:33pm by Devo the dog *

ShinerBock

LVTX

View Profile

Posted: 10/04/20 07:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wing_zealot wrote:

ShinerBock wrote:

wing_zealot wrote:

Incomplete at best. You don't have insurance, repairs, depreciation, cost of money, ... just to name a few. You don't even accurately reflect the $10,000.00+ increase in initial cost of the diesel vs. gas to start with.

Repairs are null in 100k miles since all diesels on the market today have a 100k mile warranty from the factory. Insurance is within $5. Depreciation is factored in on resale. Cost of money is only a factor IF you paid cash and where going to invest that money. Most borrow the money. What else you got?

Also, as I have said in the past when I have posted this spreadsheet. These numbers are based on fuel cost, resale values, and so on in my region. Not everyone will be the same or can attain a 1.95% interest rate like I did. Hence the reason why I tell people to do the math for themselves and they will see that upfront cost $8k starts to decrease dramatically after everything is calculated. In fact, you pay way more than the upfront cost going from the 5.7L to the 6.4L gas in the long run due to higher maintenance costs yet no one talks about "recouping" their money there. Why is it only brought up on the diesel? It is an engine upgrade just like the diesel is it not?
You don't have to take my word for it, you can see the experts word for it based on real facts instead of incomplete and inaccurate conjecture.
Clicky

Vicentric aren't experts. We actually stopped using their subscription because their data models for budgeting never came near to what our actual 500+ truck fleet cost on an annual basis. On of these reasons is due to the fact that they only use 5 months of fuel pricing data(which it tells you in that link) and those five months just so happen to be mostly winter months when the cost difference between diesel and gas is much higher. My averages were done using the averages of a full year which is why you see a $.30 disparity between them. In fact, even this is too high since averaging the cost difference of 87 octane from my Jeep fill-ups and the cost of diesel from my car and truck on my app, I get an average difference of just $.26 for the full year.

For example, looking at Gasbuddy, the cost difference between 87 octane and diesel in my hometown is just $.11 cents. Vicentric uses somewhere around a $.50-.60 cents disparity for the full year which is false.

[image]

[image]

Their maintenance models were also way out of whack, because they used a standard mileage like 10k for diesels and 7,500 miles for gas engines instead of the manufacturers suggestions. For example, my truck is every 15k miles while the gas version is 8k miles. There are more inconsistencies, but these are the main reason why their costs models were way higher than actual and why we stopped using them for our fleet budgeting forecasts.

So what are you numbers of your truck versus the diesel version after 100k miles?

* This post was last edited 10/04/20 08:08am by ShinerBock *   View edit history

Devo the dog

View Profile

Posted: 10/04/20 08:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ShinerBock wrote:

Vicentric aren't experts.

I was waiting for someone to post this. The data is generalized, as you stated. Furthermore, it's either one or two years behind (can't tell), which is also a red flag for me.

wing_zealot

East of the Mississippi

View Profile

Posted: 10/04/20 08:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, of course, the people that do this every day for a living for 15 years aren't the experts; the RV.Net guys are the experts. My Bad.
This from the guy that says the insurance for a diesel is "under $5" more. (maybe he meant per day?).
And some day let's talk about the lost oppurtunity cost on the $10.000.00 up front cost of the diesel.
Oh, never mind, once again I forgot I was questioning the experts.

* This post was edited 10/04/20 09:07am by wing_zealot *

blt2ski

Kirkland, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 10/04/20 10:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SHiner,

I wish I lived near you. add $1.00-1.25 higher here in Puget sound region of Wa st.

Marty

92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
00 Chev C2500, V5700, 4L80E, 4.10, base truck, no options!
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Check RV.Net Blogs at: blog.rv.net

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Fuelly mileage of the big three diesels
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.