|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  Chat Threads

> Would You Take A Vaccine COVID-19

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
FULLTIMEWANABE

De Winton, Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 09/30/20 12:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With 290 medical staff in just one of our hospitals all in isolation here, the subject of vaccine is coming up more and more. I read here about some saying "we'll get the vaccine first or second". Some are saying a two shot deal and so on and so forth. Seems there's a lot of folks considering having this the minute it's available.

I'm just purely curious why and how many folks would be willing to take this vaccine if it came out soon, when it hasn't undergone the rigorous testing for side effects and issues that most drugs do before coming to market? Some of these drugs can take 8 to 15 years and more going through trials and testing before approval, so what are the risks with a vaccine that's being produced so rapidly. I appreciate the pandemic situation but ..........?????

Would you be first in line when available to have this vaccine. I for one wouldn't due to fear of too many unknowns, but to each their own.

Thanks for enlightening me in "street level" terminology as to why you would or wouldn't take the vaccine when there's so many unknowns when it first comes out (or if it ever does?).

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 09/30/20 01:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not a chance!! I only started taking the flu shots two years ago, and that was only because Peggy insisted. No way would I risk taking a new and relatively untested vaccine. Especially when I consider the risks far outweigh the reward.

I contracted the virus in December and recovered after a couple weeks. Of course I didn't know what it was at that point, and neither did anyone else AFATG, just another case of the flu albeit more severe than usual.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/30/20 02:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Absolutely I'd take it. I don't see it as cutting corners-I see it as it's quite possible that it shouldn't need to take 8-15 years to get a vaccine to market. The adverse reactions to the vaccine have been minimal. It may be blind trust but if it's a chance to get back to a more real normal I am willing to do it.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be Douglas Adams

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

dturm

Lake County, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/30/20 02:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Risk vs Reward. If we get accurate information from health professionals and those who developed the vaccine the risk can be reduced. The fact that 30K people in the phase 3 trials is a little reassuring but there can be rare reactions that show up with millions of doses that don't in the phase 3 trials.

Given my age and family risks, I would if...

I remember lining up for the first polio shots before the oral vaccine was available. My best childhood friend had polio, minor case but still.

This COVID disease can have longer term issues that we don't really know how long they last. Do the heart issues last a lifetime? If that is the case it sure increases the risk part of the equation.

Doug & Sandy
Kaylee (12 year old Terrier of some sort), Sasha 3 yr old Golden
Kaiya at the Rainbow Bridge
2008 Southwind
2009 Honda CRV

Check out blog.rv.net

rk911

DuPage County

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/30/20 02:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

we'd likely wait a bit to see if it's safe AND effective. i see no reason to rush.

Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/30/20 02:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I might not be first in line - but I will happily get the vaccine. Covid is not simply a "respiratory virus" - it causes a lot more bodily mayhem than the flu, can linger for weeks/months; and we have no clue if it will have rebounding effects down the road, like the chickenpox/shingles virus.

I also got a flu vaccination yesterday. Normally I don't, but anything I can do to avoid ending up in the hospital seems like a good idea right now.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 09/30/20 04:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Depends on the vaccine. If it is a 'Fast tracked' vaccine that has not going through Phase 3 trials.... I'd prefer to wait.. If it's a properly vetted vaccine that has gone through all 3 phases.. YES I will.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/30/20 04:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Risk vs Reward. If we get accurate information from health professionals and those who developed the vaccine the risk can be reduced. The fact that 30K people in the phase 3 trials is a little reassuring but there can be rare reactions that show up with millions of doses that don't in the phase 3 trials.

Which is what I REALLY meant to say LOL!

narcodog

Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/30/20 05:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

you bet

FULLTIMEWANABE

De Winton, Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 09/30/20 06:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Crowe wrote:

Absolutely I'd take it. I don't see it as cutting corners-I see it as it's quite possible that it shouldn't need to take 8-15 years to get a vaccine to market. The adverse reactions to the virus have been minimal. It may be blind trust but if it's a chance to get back to a more real normal I am willing to do it.

Absolutely I for one respect everyone's take on all this and am finding it very interesting and looking to a lot more responses to gauge just what percentage would, versus wouldn't in due course and under what reasonings..

With regards to the above in bold, what are your thoughts, on the fact that AstraZeneca Covid-19 vaccine study put on hold due to suspected serous side effect in participant in the U.K this month I believe this was at Phase 3. Upon resuming green light given a lot of Spanish participants backed out of the trial.

Thanks to all for sharing considerate thoughts and being respectful of everyone's personal opinion on this subject as it progresses. To me there's no wrong or right answer in all this and probably won't be for a very long time to come. Thanks to all that participate here.

* This post was edited 09/30/20 06:13pm by FULLTIMEWANABE *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  Chat Threads

> Would You Take A Vaccine COVID-19
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.