RV.Net Open Roads Forum: My TT was wrecked by a hail storm.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> My TT was wrecked by a hail storm.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
obgraham

TriCites WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/20 11:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds to me like your cheapest option will be to haul it to a junkyard. Shame.

HarleyEnough

PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/01/20 02:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tow it back to your house and file a claim on your home owners insurance. They fixed my truck several years ago when a 20'x10' yard tent in our backyard blew up against and over my truck in a wind storm.

2011 Dodge Ram Laramie 3500 Crew Cab Long Bed SRW
2019 Raptor 421CK Full Body Paint

pasusan

Northernmost PA

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/20 02:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

Hi Bob,

Part it out. I'm sorry but--even with your labor being free with it sitting soaked for months it is now DOA.

If you miss it--just put some butter over a heating vent in the new RV.
I was thinking the same thing (about the butter)! [emoticon]

"I'm out here to enjoy nature -- don't talk to me about the environment!" ~Denny Crane

Susan & Ben
2004 Roadtrek 170 for quick getaways
84 Bronco & 90 Award Classic 23 joined with a Hensley Cub for longer trips
Trip Pics

A1ARealtorRick

Gulf Shores, AL

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/20 04:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HarleyEnough wrote:

Tow it back to your house and file a claim on your home owners insurance. They fixed my truck several years ago when a 20'x10' yard tent in our backyard blew up against and over my truck in a wind storm.

The word fraud comes to mind, but maybe that's just me.

. . . never confuse education with intelligence

dedmiston

The West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/01/20 04:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A1ARealtorRick wrote:

HarleyEnough wrote:

Yeah, that isn't just a dusting of fraud either. Fudging on the location and date of loss are big no-nos. Something tells me they're even more persnickety about insurance fraud up in CA than we are down here.

I think I'd stick to the zen viewpoint that the OP has already expressed: The rig was good while it lasted and saved him bags of money.

I've never been in jail before, but I think I'd hate it.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

HarleyEnough

PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/01/20 04:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A1ARealtorRick wrote:

HarleyEnough wrote:

Nah, I'd be up front with them but call your insurance rep. If you're anything like me then you've paid thousands a year on property, houses, buildings, cars, trucks, trailers, motorcycles. Boats, ect... and never use it. That truck is my only claim in the last 20 years. So when I called they were super happy to help...impressive in fact. Now in my case the picnic canopy and truck were in fact in my yard from my son's birthday party the day before but I know they've told me my home owners will cover other things whether it was on my property or not. Just depends on how good your insurance company is.

HarleyEnough

PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/01/20 04:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Actually just did a quick Google search and although some homeowners insurance won't cover RVs at all, and some require you to list it, some also cover them even if you store it off the property at a storage lot. This aligns with what I was told by my insurance rep. Even said some will give you a discount for storing it at a professional storage lot because reduced risks. I'd say it's definetely worth a call. They will total it and low ball you but a few grand is better than nothing.

BobsYourUncle

Calgary Alberta Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/20 07:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

Hi Bob,

Part it out. I'm sorry but--even with your labor being free with it sitting soaked for months it is now DOA.

If you miss it--just put some butter over a heating vent in the new RV.

LOL!
Yup, I will never live that one down!! I'm amazed how many people here remember that, as it was a number of years ago now. I still laugh thinking about it. [emoticon]

2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ
Dmax/Allison

2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS - 32'

BobsYourUncle

Calgary Alberta Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/20 07:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HarleyEnough wrote:

Sorry, but that doesn't sit well with me. Unless I could 100% legitimately claim it, I will eat the loss and know I did the right thing.
I could call the home insurance people, but I would tell them it was not at the home, it was not insured, it was in a paid storage facility miles from home etc. But I still wouldn't feel right about it, so I'm not going to try.

CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/20 07:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm sorry your camper got damaged. I to got hit with Hail this summer but, not that bad. I just have a dimpled TT now.

I agree with the Part It Out suggestion. I helped a friend do that once to a TT. After he parted it out and sold everything salvageable from the inside he then used the frame of the trailer to build a utility trailer. He made money all around.

I will never forget the butter story. I tell it to people around the campfire sometimes. It's always good for a laugh.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> My TT was wrecked by a hail storm.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.