|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> New and confused

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Geo*Boy

Unknown

View Profile

Posted: 10/03/20 07:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

Geo*Boy wrote:

The van we are recommending is a proven van that has been used for years in commercial applications, including towing duties and were never front wheel drive.

Even some of the 3/4ton vans are front wheel drive.

Just pointing out that 3/4 ton by itself doesn't mean it's a good option.

Can you let us know what the manufacturer/model 3/4 ton van you are referring to, so the OP stays away from them?

tomman58

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 10/03/20 07:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would vote for the van you still get some room behind the seats, it is comfortable for all and generally the back seat can be folded down for haul bigger stuff at home. I have always had yukons and crew cab pu trucks plus diesels ones. I never hauled kids except when we had a pop up. Trucks do not have that much room in the cab. get the van

2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

Groover

Pulaski, TN

View Profile

Posted: 10/03/20 09:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Geo*Boy wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

Geo*Boy wrote:

The van we are recommending is a proven van that has been used for years in commercial applications, including towing duties and were never front wheel drive.

Even some of the 3/4ton vans are front wheel drive.

Just pointing out that 3/4 ton by itself doesn't mean it's a good option.

Can you let us know what the manufacturer/model 3/4 ton van you are referring to, so the OP stays away from them?

Probably the new Ford Transit. When it was designed to replace the Econoline series the emphasis was shifted to interior comfort, convenience, fuel economy and weight carrying at the expense of the bulky and heavy frame needed for trailer pulling. For 2020 the passenger version of the van carried a maximum tow rating of 4,500lbs where the old E350 was rated for 9,900lbs.

ktosv

Grand Rapids, MI

View Profile

Posted: 10/03/20 11:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Groover wrote:

Probably the new Ford Transit. When it was designed to replace the Econoline series the emphasis was shifted to interior comfort, convenience, fuel economy and weight carrying at the expense of the bulky and heavy frame needed for trailer pulling. For 2020 the passenger version of the van carried a maximum tow rating of 4,500lbs where the old E350 was rated for 9,900lbs.

It actually appears that the Transit is only offered in RWD (and new for the 2020MY) and AWD. I didn’t take any more time to check but it would be interesting if you can get the advertised 7500# towing and AWD. If so, sounds like that could be a contender for the OP.

Maybe the 3/4 ton vans are the Transit Connect, the City Express and similar vans that have 1500# (3/4 ton) of payload?

Kevin and my...
Wife and six kids
2017 Suburban (5.3L/6A/3.08)
6x12 Enclosed Utility

Sold...2011 Express 3500 (6.0L/6A/3.42)
Sold...2010 Passport Ultra Lite 2910

32vld

LI, NY

View Profile

Posted: 10/03/20 12:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

all wheel drive is not good as 4WD.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/03/20 02:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, OP, don’t be gullible about the Dodge paranoia that your mechanics brothers friend said.
Yes a van will work. It will also be underpowered compared to any “big” half ton. Can’t get any better for space though.
But a crew cab/mega cab and throw the dog in back will work too.

Another customer that would buy a HD suv....if anyone made them.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/04/20 04:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Groover wrote:

Probably more about the use changing. With 4 door pickups becoming common and families smaller, those that used to pick a full size van for a tow vehicle have become relatively rare (30yr ago full size vans were one of the more popular choices for RVs).

That leaves the main use of vans as cargo vehicles that don't do much towing. With front wheel drive, you can lower the floor. They also push for efficiency, so the heavy duty frame that is critical for towing heavy, could be eliminated.

Drivetrain for a 6500lb van with a 3000lb load...only has to move 9500 lb.

A 6500lb van with 1000lb load pulling an 9000lb trailer has to move 16,500 lb and that takes a much more robust drive train.

I know the Dodge is FWD and even with RWD, Ford and Mercedes (I think Mercedes has a variety of drivetrains) have pretty meager tow ratings for the OP's 7500lb trailer.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

gmwelder86

danville, ca

View Profile

Posted: 10/04/20 10:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wouldn’t hesitate to buy an older 3/4 ton suburban. I have an 08 150k bought used in 2015 with 80k on it. Towed 8k with it and never felt like I didn’t have enough truck. All it’s asked of me has been basic maintenance, outside of the ac compressor going out last month. Mechanically the 6.0 and 6l80 are bullet proof. With quad Captains chairs and a third row couldn’t imagine a better tow vehicle for your family outside of a diesel excursion.

eherber

Home

View Profile

Posted: 10/05/20 07:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, we bought a 2019 Dodge Ram Tradesman, HD 2500 4x4 off road package. It's a beast. It'll more than tow my TT thankfully. I said I would never buy a Dodge, and I did. I'm not ashamed. My wife is awful fond of it too, and I want her to be comfortable in it. If we do the across country trips, I need her to feel comfortable.

Thanks again for all the advice. I did a lot of researching and inquiry based on suggestions you all gave me. It's much appreciated.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/05/20 10:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

32vld wrote:

all wheel drive is not good as 4WD.

Seemingly astute response, other than maybe you could elaborate how 4wd is actually "better" in this context of a pavement pounder, kid carrier camper puller vehicle.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> New and confused
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.