|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> New and confused

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/05/20 11:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

eherber wrote:

Well, we bought a 2019 Dodge Ram Tradesman, HD 2500 4x4 off road package. It's a beast. It'll more than tow my TT thankfully. I said I would never buy a Dodge, and I did. I'm not ashamed. My wife is awful fond of it too, and I want her to be comfortable in it. If we do the across country trips, I need her to feel comfortable.

Thanks again for all the advice. I did a lot of researching and inquiry based on suggestions you all gave me. It's much appreciated.

Nice work. You've effectively future proofed your truck needs for a while!

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

We'll See

IL

View Profile

Posted: 10/05/20 05:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PastorCharlie wrote:

My recommendation would be to go with a pre 2002 F350 7.3 Diesel or a post 2016 F350 6.7 Diesel both with crew cabs, 4X4, long bed with bed caps. They will give you abundant inside space with comfortable ride and lots of storage in bed as tremendous towing and cargo numbers. A dually would be tops.

OP bought a trailer that will likely be 6,500 to 7,000 loaded and here comes the diesel dually comment.

To the OP, I recommend you get a late model Ford Expedition with the 3.5 eco boost and make sure it has the max trailer package. That engine will tow your load better than other gas 3/4 ton vehicle especially in the mountains. You do not need a 3/4 ton just make sure your expedition is properly equipped. And your family will be much more comfortable in three rows versus any crew cab pickup, especially as they grow older.

Jeep and Explorer

bikendan

Camano Island, Wash.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/06/20 02:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We'll See wrote:

PastorCharlie wrote:

My recommendation would be to go with a pre 2002 F350 7.3 Diesel or a post 2016 F350 6.7 Diesel both with crew cabs, 4X4, long bed with bed caps. They will give you abundant inside space with comfortable ride and lots of storage in bed as tremendous towing and cargo numbers. A dually would be tops.

OP bought a trailer that will likely be 6,500 to 7,000 loaded and here comes the diesel dually comment.

To the OP, I recommend you get a late model Ford Expedition with the 3.5 eco boost and make sure it has the max trailer package. That engine will tow your load better than other gas 3/4 ton vehicle especially in the mountains. You do not need a 3/4 ton just make sure your expedition is properly equipped. And your family will be much more comfortable in three rows versus any crew cab pickup, especially as they grow older.

the OP posted 10 hours before your post, that they bought a Ram 2500. it's in the post right before yours.

Dan- Firefighter, Retired">, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur">, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP">), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

BurbMan

Noblesville, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/07/20 10:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry I'm late to this party, congrats on the new truck!

FYI for all those who said the Suburban wouldn't do the job, just not true. The new High Country Burb with 6.2L and 10-speed automatic has almost the same ratings as my 2001 2500 with 8.1L. Heck the 6.2 puts out 420 HP and 460 TQ compared to the old 8.1 at 340/455. The 10 speed trans lets it run with a 3.23 rear axle. Max trailering is rated at 7900, so with the family loaded in would likely be overloaded in this application. The Ram is a better choice here, but the old "half ton" concept is dead.

GM discontinued the 2500 series burb for 2 reasons: 1. Crew cab pickups have gotten larger with a roomy second row, so unless you really need that 3rd row they fit the bill for towing/hauling heavy, and 2. The drivetrain capabilities of the regular burb have closed the gap with the 2500 to the point where you don't need a big block to tow anymore.

2015 Ram 3500 SRW 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab Long Box, Cummins diesel
2002 Lance 811 Slide-In Camper
SOLD: 2008 Terry 34' TT
SOLD: 2001 K2500LT 8.1L Suburban

Lance 811 Renovation Story!
Project Complete!
Maiden Voyage!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> New and confused
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.