RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Looking for a quality Toy hauler but discouraged.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers  >  Toy Haulers

> Looking for a quality Toy hauler but discouraged.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Seagull843

Charleston

View Profile

Posted: 11/24/20 07:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

klutchdust wrote:

One issue I have noticed is the failure to maintain their units. There isn't any trip that I haven't returned with a list of items to check and repair. On my 2015 Work and Play the bracket holding the water tank broke, the thermostat needs help , The fridge cover came loose. As I mentioned, working with a sturdy frame and body comes first for me, the appliances are all throw-away, made a cheap as possible items. Fun costs money. Im having fun, even having fun making repairs and showing pride in ownership. Heck, I hand waxed and compounded the whole rig.

Which Work and Play do you have? We have the 2015 21UL and looking to upgrade but the newer ones don't seem to be built like a cargo trailer anymore. We have been extremely happy with the 21UL and have had no issues other than the small things like replacing the brake lights and the electric tongue jack.

Even though the build quality of the older Work and Plays weren't stellar, they were better than a lot of other models and DEFINITELY seem to be better than the current generation.

1320Fastback

Vista, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 11/24/20 09:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dennis58 wrote:

I have crunched the numbers on just about every Toy Hauler out there and unless you’re stepping up to an ATC or Sundowner the rest suck for GVWR. Might not be a problem if all you’re hauling is bicycles and kayaks.

I have decided for me anyway the best approach is an older Carson Fun Runner in the 25’ range. That gives you a front bedroom and decent garage area. These can be bought for $7K-$15K in the 20 to 26 foot range around year models 2005 to 2012. Lot of guys use then in the desert to haul sand rails.

I would buy something like this and remodel the inside and use it until I was done with it than dispose of it for whatever the market would bare. I’m not dumping $50K into something to just camp in.

The Carson’s Fun Runners seem to be mostly located on the west coast so some travel to fine one will be required.

Dennis

This is exactly what we did. Initially we bought a brand new 2015 Sand Sport 18' and enjoyed it for 4 years but it just felt cheap and I was always working on it. Blocks under the shower floor, cheap rv electrical outlets pulling out of walls, no strut rods on the Up opening cabinets, horribly designed shower where the walls do not over lap the pan requiring caulking replacement or maintenance every time you used it. The list goes on and on.

We ended up selling it and buying a 2005 Forest River Sierra 30'Toy Hauler. While it too requires maintenance it is much better built and feels like it will actually last. I dont mind working on this one or the one we had before it just now it doesn't feel like we wasted a bunch of money. It also matches my truck better because its 28 years old too [emoticon]

1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

klutchdust

Orange, California

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/20 09:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Seagull843 wrote:

klutchdust wrote:

One issue I have noticed is the failure to maintain their units. There isn't any trip that I haven't returned with a list of items to check and repair. On my 2015 Work and Play the bracket holding the water tank broke, the thermostat needs help , The fridge cover came loose. As I mentioned, working with a sturdy frame and body comes first for me, the appliances are all throw-away, made a cheap as possible items. Fun costs money. Im having fun, even having fun making repairs and showing pride in ownership. Heck, I hand waxed and compounded the whole rig.

Which Work and Play do you have? We have the 2015 21UL and looking to upgrade but the newer ones don't seem to be built like a cargo trailer anymore. We have been extremely happy with the 21UL and have had no issues other than the small things like replacing the brake lights and the electric tongue jack.

Even though the build quality of the older Work and Plays weren't stellar, they were better than a lot of other models and DEFINITELY seem to be better than the current generation.

I have the 25 ULA. I will stick with this one, newer units don't impress me at all.

* This post was edited 11/27/20 12:27pm by klutchdust *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers  >  Toy Haulers

> Looking for a quality Toy hauler but discouraged.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.