RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: The trashing of our public lands.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> The trashing of our public lands.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/03/20 02:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Saw it at one of the few facilities on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Bathrooms were over flowing too. Lot of people enjoying our natural treasures but..Also saw garbage bags in the dumpsters and in cans.Apparently some locals don't want to pay to have their garbage hauled away. One stretch of the Blue Ridge Parkway looks like New York City, so to speak, just short distance from the Parkway. State Forest found a large dump where they were letting Residents in the area and some not so close in dump roofing shingles, garbage and everything else. I haven't noticed it in the Smokiesbut it has been a while since we visited it.

cptqueeg

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 10/03/20 03:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While it's disgusting no matter whose trash it is, it's a tiny problem compared to environmental disaster that is occurring or about to occur in the US. The cause is the same though - it's all about me, and how much money can I extract for the "shareholders."

Pebble Mine - Bristol Bay

Drilling in ANWAR

Opening 9 million acres of wilderness to roads and logging in the Tongass NF

Etstorm

Frankston,TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/03/20 03:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

#1Flyboy wrote:

Yes the trashing of America is gonna continue UNTIL the government steps in and starts making trash disposal, recycling, energy conservation subjects that need to be taught to the public; won’t stop 100% of problems but will start to minimize the issues. Also companies need to look into packaging and how their products are winding up in places other than the garbage dump/recycling center.... We live on the road & camphost so we are very aware of this issue.

No amount of government mandates will make a slob not be a slob!

rk911

DuPage County

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/03/20 03:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Etstorm wrote:

#1Flyboy wrote:

Yes the trashing of America is gonna continue UNTIL the government steps in and starts making trash disposal, recycling, energy conservation subjects that need to be taught to the public; won’t stop 100% of problems but will start to minimize the issues. Also companies need to look into packaging and how their products are winding up in places other than the garbage dump/recycling center.... We live on the road & camphost so we are very aware of this issue.

No amount of government mandates will make a slob not be a slob!

+1

Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 10/03/20 05:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sort of looks like the trash dump near my house. looks like they need more frequent trash pickups
bumpy

StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/03/20 05:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

you know I was expecting garbage throught out woods, when I saw everything piled around a full dumpster my first thought was they dont empty the dumpster enought, then looking at the type of garbage I dont think it is camper, but rather people looking for free disposal of there household garbage.

Steve

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK

Thunder Mountain

Lost in the Four Corners

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/03/20 06:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have been "users" of public lands for the last 50 years. Our national parks and public lands are being trashed... tp, diapers, tampons, human waste, etc. While the story is relevant, it is decades behind the curve. It seems that the new users of public lands are just pigs with no back country ethics. They wouldn't know what real wilderness was if it bit them in the butt.

2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

cptqueeg

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 10/03/20 06:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thunder Mountain wrote:

We have been "users" of public lands for the last 50 years. Our national parks and public lands are being trashed... tp, diapers, tampons, human waste, etc. While the story is relevant, it is decades behind the curve. It seems that the new users of public lands are just pigs with no back country ethics. They wouldn't know what real wilderness was if it bit them in the butt.

They have been there for a long time there is just more of them now.

Thermoguy

Graham, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/03/20 06:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cptqueeg wrote:

While it's disgusting no matter whose trash it is, it's a tiny problem compared to environmental disaster that is occurring or about to occur in the US. The cause is the same though - it's all about me, and how much money can I extract for the "shareholders."

Pebble Mine - Bristol Bay

Drilling in ANWAR

Opening 9 million acres of wilderness to roads and logging in the Tongass NF

If you have ever been to any industrial site in AK, like the oil fields in Prudhoe Bay, or mines outside of Fairbanks, you would not feel this way. They are very conscientious of the environment and the animals that call those places home. They take incredible care to not harm wildlife and keep everything clean. If a polar bear goes anywhere near a drill site, the shut it down regardless of the cost until the bear has it's babies and leaves the area. Alaska is the last place in the world you have to worry about environmental damage.

Thermoguy

Graham, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/03/20 06:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Back to the subject - we always bring our trash home with us unless we are staying at at paid site that has garbage service. We also separate trash from recycle and always bring that home. I have yet to find a place that has recycle bins. We did a 10 day trip to Glacier this summer and had 3 bags of recycle when we got home. Nowhere we went had recycle bins so we just traveled around with it.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> The trashing of our public lands.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.