|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> RVers and Pheasant hunting

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/04/20 10:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't think we will go anywhere else this year but have thought about taking the motor home to South Dakota and doing some Pheasant hunting.
I think it would be a great idea for a Rally, if some RV group there or somewhere else would put together a Rally or just a gathering.
I've never been and would like to go but with like minded RVers.
One thing is that a lot of us are not able to walk too much and a driven hunt would be the idea.

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/05/20 04:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pheasant hunting in SD has become more commercialized over the years. While road hunting is still allowed (driven hunting), it is not very productive. Staying at a hunting lodge, with prime hunting land, and some pen raised birds, is one option. This will get a guided hunt, lots of birds, and for a person not able to walk much, a driver will place you at the end of field, to shoot as others walk, flushing birds toward you. While there is public land, as well as a lot of leased land to hunt on your own, it is a lot of walking, and again, not very productive. A well trained dog would be a big plus. A person willing to walk, can get some good hunting, using 2-4 people, or even by yourself, hunting section lines, with good cover, and fence rows next to corn fields. You can legally drive section dirt roads, and while 1-2 people walk, the other person can drive ahead a half mile, park, get out block the fence row, wait for others to chase birds to you. You just repeat, can switch walker/driver. This can be a great experience, and actually get some birds in your bag. Just about any dog is helpful if it will stay close to you.

Jerry

Horsedoc

Dixie --- N. Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 10/05/20 06:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When were were in the Hills, the guy in charge of visitor relations was an avid hunter. Each spring he would have a get-together for all the workers and volunteers in the park. South Dakota pheasant was one of the dishes we would have, along with bison stew and other foods raised in SD. Of course he furnished much of the food with the park picking up the rest. I didn't care for the pheasant - too much dark meat but the bison was very tasty.

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/05/20 06:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Horsedoc wrote:

I didn't care for the pheasant - too much dark meat but the bison was very tasty.

Pheasant breast can be delicious, and prepared in many ways! My personal favorite is breast meat removed from bone, cut in strips, breaded, and deep fat fried in Crisco.

Jerry

dedmiston

The West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/05/20 09:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

down home wrote:

I think it would be a great idea for a Rally, if some RV group there or somewhere else would put together a Rally or just a gathering.

A rally? In 2020? Really?

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

8ntw8tn

Southeast Iowa & Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Posted: 10/05/20 10:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I grew up hunting in SW Iowa where there were usually just 2 of us, and never more than 4 in the group. We moved to South Dakota where the terrain and size of the fields requires larger groups and different methods. Never quite got accustomed to it. Commercial hunting was becoming prominent when we moved back to Iowa 30 years ago, and I understand it's even more so now. Very difficult to find private land that hasn't been leased.

'08 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax;
'10 Carriage Cameo F35FWS
Det 1 56th SOWg

Boscorelli

CT

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/20 04:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think this topic is in the wrong forum. I hope I can find it again!

I take an RV to go pheasant hunting almost every year. SD is my favorite destination. The biggest problem is finding an RV park that is open. Many of them close in October, and those that do stay open may have to close when the weather gets too cold. Last year we had to leave November 1st because the temperature was forecasted to be in the teens for the next week, and they shut off the water.

Most of the time I hunt "small" areas by myself. Sometimes I meet up with friends to hunt larger fields. I hunt the Indian reservations, as well as State land. This year I'm going to camp in Mobridge. I'll be there from Opening Day until I get frozen out. I'd welcome a few fellow hunters and RVers to get out with.

Snowman9000

IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/26/20 05:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is a pretty basic campground and pheasant hunting at the SP in Portales, New Mexico. I have no idea how the hunting is.

2014 Sunseeker 2300 Class C (Chevy 4500)

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/26/20 06:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One of the reasons why I used to hunt was to be away from people. I would find a large group of hunters descending on one spot to be problematic. One of the reasons why I quit hunting was it got too crowded in MA to safely do so.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be Douglas Adams

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

Mayor30

Pa

View Profile

Posted: 10/26/20 07:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a friend who goes out from Pa every year. Takes his trailer and his dog.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> RVers and Pheasant hunting
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.