RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Water left in Suburban water heater - UPDATE!

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Water left in Suburban water heater - UPDATE!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
wopachop

Who run bartertown

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/20 08:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bsinmich wrote:

I never was concerned about the few drops of water left in thee bottom of the tank.
I sucked my tank dry. Then filled a 1L bottle with vinegar. Put a small hole in the cap and squirted it into my tank. Didnt even come up to the drain hole. Its not a few drops. Did the conversion 1 liter is 20,000 drops.

Just letting people know it might not evaporate out as quickly as we might think.

2edgesword

New York

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/08/20 08:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

During the camping season we are camping every other week and the water heater is never drained.. The only time I drain the water heater is in preparation for winterizing. We've never had any issues with rust, at least not any visible in the water at the start of the next camping season.

StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/20 06:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

i have only ever drained my Hw tank at the end of season, in over 20 years I have never had a problem like that or seen one. to rust your anode would have to be used up or the wrong type, or a brand with out an anode would have to have some sort of dammage to the protective coating or such. how old was this water heater? and what kind of water did you put in it? I could see brown from un treated water with a high algae content but the rust is what makes it harder to imagin

Steve

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK

Bobbo

Wherever I park

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/09/20 07:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wopachop wrote:

Did the conversion 1 liter is 20,000 drops.

As a retired Pharmacist who did volume conversions for decades, I applaud you for getting that conversion right. However, I think that bsinmich was using hyperbole when he said "the few drops." It is certainly not enough water left in the tank to be a problem if it did freeze.

Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

pasusan

Northernmost PA

View Profile

Posted: 10/16/20 04:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK - I said we got a new magnesium anode rod and were taking a trip...

Surprisingly - the water was not smelly or brown for the 5 nights we were out. When we got home I emptied the WH - the water came out clear and the rod has a bunch of black pitted spots on it - but not eaten up by any means. I sucked out the 2 or 3 cups of water from the bottom of the tank and re-installed the anode rod with vaseline on the threads.

We had planned on replacing the entire WH next spring, but think we'll see how things go!

(Still wishing it was an Atwood, but you get what you get and we just have to learn to live with it...)

Thanks to all who responded. [emoticon]

"I'm out here to enjoy nature -- don't talk to me about the environment!" ~Denny Crane

Susan & Ben
2004 Roadtrek 170 for quick getaways
84 Bronco & 90 Award Classic 23 joined with a Hensley Cub for longer trips
Trip Pics

olfarmer

Iowa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/19/20 09:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What was the water like where you last used it before the rust issue? It could be you were hooked up to a water source that was high in iron content. If it was it could turn to rust while setting in the water heater. I fill our water heater in the spring and don't drain it until I winterize it. I have never had it get rusty.

Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

doxiemom11

Paris Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/21/20 02:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are full-time and have an Atwood, but we still drain it at least annually to get the crud out. Lime and other mineral deposits. We use filters, but there's always still some in there. No rust ever though.

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/20 03:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I only drain our for the winter. it never sits long enough to get stagnant and rust. I also flush and sanitize the system in the middle of the summer.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Sjm9911

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/21/20 05:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I only drain my for winterizing also. I leave it full for a month at a time sitting. Never any rust. I belive the inside of the tanks are coated with a glass type substance , so nothing to rust there unless the coating is damaged. I think the anode rod protects the outsode of the tank from rusting out through the scre in metal fitings. So, ot woks by not rusting the tank from the outside in. Check the fitings going into the heater. Flush it good as you said and continue to use it, you could have pick up sediment from almost anywhere.

2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Water left in Suburban water heater - UPDATE!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.