|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> 5th wheel adapter for goose neck

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
jshupe

FT

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/20 11:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We use a Goosebox. Main reason, is we use the bed to haul water around in bladders when disconnected and need as much space as possible.

We do use safety chains, and they marginally increase hookup time.

There is a small learning curve to getting the ball right under the connection point - most of the time now, I can get it on the first try. Wasn't always so quick and easy. If my toolbox didn't block the view from the backup camera, it probably wouldn't have ever been an issue.

They allow more articulation than a fifth wheel hitch - which is both good and bad. You can easily make contact between the overhang and the bed rails if you aren't careful off-road, but can also use the increased articulation to get further out there. Just something to consider. Not likely to make much difference if you primarily go park to park or stay on pavement. I think that because they allow for more articulation, you are less likely to torque your frame, but as a final note on this, I'm not exactly comfortable with getting the trailer so off camber that this becomes important.

Fort Knox Locks makes a great lock that fits over the coupler. I'm not aware of any comparably secure pin locks, but I haven't looked in a while and they may be out there.

Another thing to note is that it's a bit more difficult to screw up the hitching process. If it's on the ball, it's on. No improperly closed jaws or high hitching. If you're careful and double check everything, probably not an issue one way or the other. I dropped a trailer once because someone started talking to me during the hitching process and I forgot to check that the jaws were actually locked. A little more difficult to have that happen on a ball - but I wouldn't use this alone as a reason to go this route.

I've had probably half a dozen fifth wheel hitches. They all tow a little differently. The difference between a cheap Curt and a TS BD3 is far bigger than the difference between a TS BD3 and a Goosebox - so to answer your towing different question, not really any more significant than the differences between other fifth wheel hitches and pinboxes.

2015 Keystone Alpine 3730FB, 2019 Ram 3500 HO/AISIN CCLB DRW, 2020 JLUR
Primarily off-grid living w/ 2925W solar and 22.8kWh LiFePO4, 30K 240V multi-split,
a custom bladder/pump/monitor setup so we can use water as we wish, and more

minnow

Upstate South Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/06/20 05:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Michelle.S wrote:

Lippert has approved the Reese Goose Box for use with their Frames.

And the reason for that is because LCI and Reese are in financial bed together.

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/20 08:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

minnow wrote:

Michelle.S wrote:

Lippert has approved the Reese Goose Box for use with their Frames.

And the reason for that is because LCI and Reese are in financial bed together.

Discounting the fact it is an air ride adapter with a shock absorber rather than a rigid steel frame??? Maybe it was designed specifically to address manufacturer's concerns.

JTrac

Oklahoma

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/07/20 08:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought a Reese Goose Box in February to use with our previous fifth wheel. When we bought the Pinnacle a few months ago I asked the dealer to transfer it over. He was reluctant and said he would check with his Jayco rep to make sure it was okay. Of course, the rep said get after it. Best thing since sliced bread as far as I'm concerned. Great riding and easy hook up with my camera system. I bought a Pullrite ball and use the chain hook ups that came with a previous Ford for the puck system. The positive hook up is probably the best feature. I don't have that nagging doubt about did I do everything correctly like I did with my previous conventional hitches.

Reese and Lippert may have a combined financial interest but I doubt Lippert would approve it if it was causing them to lose money.

JimT
2020 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, 2020 Ford F350, Platinum, 6.7 diesel, 4X4, CCLB, SRW, 12,400 GVWR, 4562 payload capacity

Endricken

Alabama

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/20 03:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, my Goosebox did NOT protect my Fiver. When I installed the Goosebox the friend who helped me was a big guy and over torqued/broke a bolt. Our fault but when I contacted Reese/Lippert they said they would send a new one. They NEVER did, but of course I did readily find a replacement bolt at the Auto Parts Store.
Just less than a year since installing the Goosebox (did they ever fix the airbag valve that puffs out the air so you have to refill it after almost every tow - which was not easy to do...? or deleted the requirement to grease the coupler every time you hitch up?)
Anyhow, I hit a really bad pothole in west TX I-10 and it actually bent the movable part of the Goosebox slightly so it would rub against the fixed part. Within days and 1000 miles of towing my Fiver was bouncing on my Truck's bed rails...
Broken front H Frame Pinbox member. I contacted REESE/LIPPERT under warranty as it was less than a year JUST to send me a new one and they refused!
I ended up going back to/purchasing a STAR Performance Goosebox adapter (with built-in glider motion). Now that my front frame is rebuilt with stronger steel I have had no problems other than some chucking on America's Worst Interstates.
However I did have to get upgraded Easy Rider Shock System brackets thanks to these horrible sections of road as the original Easy Rider Brackets were a little lighter in construction and one of them was bent despite the presence of full size shocks!
When we will see infrastructure improvements???

Retired USAF
Silver 05 Dodge RAM LB CTD Dually 4Speed Auto SWD 3.73, Westin Sportsman Grill & Taillight Guards,Husky Mudguards, Retractable Ball Hitch, Onboard Air & Horns, MaxBrake - towing 2005 Keystone Montana Big Sky 3670 with Star Performance adapter

Flashman

Tucson, Aizona, USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/20 02:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Anderson hitch gives you most of the advantages of the goosebox.

1. Can easily use the truck bed.
2. easy hookup if unlevel or at an angle.
3 good trailer articulation.

And

No air bags
No need to grease
No frame damage
Easy to see to hookup

Easy solution to the problems the goosebox is trying to solve.

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/10/20 09:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kmac7800 wrote:

He may be referring to a "goosebox" which does not cause issues with your chassis warranty. The one I am thinking of is made by Reese, however there is another out there that I have seen but do not remember the manufacturer.

Oh, and I would use it (if I could) so I do not have to remove a 250lb fifth wheel hitch in/out of my truck bed if I wanted to use my pickup as a... well... pickup.

//KMac

Anyone the thinks the goosebox does not apply the same leverage on the 5th wheels frame as a gooseneck adapter cut classes that day when they were teaching about levers. If the adapter/pin box and goosebox extend down and forward the same distance the leverage on the frame is the same.

2015 RAM 3500 CC SB SRW Our Rig New 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Commuter trailer 2019 Laredo 225MK. Retired and enjoying it!

Flashman

Tucson, Aizona, USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/20 07:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Me Again wrote:

kmac7800 wrote:

He may be referring to a "goosebox" which does not cause issues with your chassis warranty. The one I am thinking of is made by Reese, however there is another out there that I have seen but do not remember the manufacturer.

Oh, and I would use it (if I could) so I do not have to remove a 250lb fifth wheel hitch in/out of my truck bed if I wanted to use my pickup as a... well... pickup.

//KMac

Anyone the thinks the goosebox does not apply the same leverage on the 5th wheels frame as a gooseneck adapter cut classes that day when they were teaching about levers. If the adapter/pin box and goosebox extend down and forward the same distance the leverage on the frame is the same.

So true.

TXiceman

Full Time RVer

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/20 07:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Me Again wrote:

kmac7800 wrote:

//KMac

All the GooseBox provides is a glorified goose neck adapter. I agree that someone cut class and I doubt if they managed to get an engineering degree.

I would not touch a GooseBox pinbox with a 50 foot pole. So Lippert accept it, but with Lipperts history on frames, I doubt if they have ever had an engineer work on frame design.

Ken

Amateur Radio Operator.
2013 HitchHiker 38RLRSB Champagne, toted with a 2012, F350, 6.7L PSD, Crewcab, dually. 3.73 axle, Full Time RVer.
Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

cut up

Oklahoma

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/14/20 09:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I recently bought my first 5th wheel (Cougar Half Ton 25res), and the dealer put in an Anderson Ultimate hitch. It’s easy to hook up and disconnect. I did inquire about safety chains and was told they were only required in Texas. I like to be on the cautious side and plan to get them.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> 5th wheel adapter for goose neck
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.