|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Dogs

> At my wit's end with Jesse

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/06/20 10:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I posted a little while ago about Jesse's behavior at night. Here's an update and I need help!

He just had a curve test and he is on the correct amount of insulin. Thyroid is also at the correct levels. His cataracts seem to be getting worse. He is still eating large amounts of food and not gaining weight. He is also still consuming abnormally large amounts of water especially first thing in the a.m. and seems to crave water all night. The biggest issue is he is up every hour most nights, wants water, a Cheez-it and a hug. We have made some alterations to his routine, have been leaving a light on downstairs in the hopes that he would settle in but it hasn't helped. We aren't sure if sundowner's syndrome/cognitive disfunction might be setting in, if it's a reaction because he doesn't see well or a learned behavior that we keep reinforcing. I feel most likely it's a combination of the above. We have tried Gabapentin to help him settle in when he goes to bed to no avail. Improving his eye sight by cataract surgery may help but he's 11 1/2 and I'm leery on anesthesia if it's not necessary plus the cost is very high. Other endocrine-related diseases such as Cushing's have been ruled out. Help! Thoughts appreciated-I need some sleep!

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be Douglas Adams

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/20 11:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Large amounts of food and water point to kidneys.

dturm

Lake County, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/06/20 12:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With the worsening cataracts and the increased water consumption I wonder if the insulin dose or kind of insulin is correct despite the recent curve results. I have not used, but there have been some who have used a Dexcom constant glucose monitor to get a better idea of glucose levels over time in diabetic.

Chasing down these types of problems that don't appear to have the "typical" causes are certainly frustrating, time consuming and costly.

Some questions I have: What are Urinalysis results, particularly SpGr, protein and glucose. What are elecrolyte values?

Depending on results, has anyone suggested a water deprivation test?

They checked for Cushing's, what about Addison's?

This is a pretty good article on diagnostic for PU/PD
VIN article

Doug & Sandy
Kaylee (12 year old Terrier of some sort), Sasha 3 yr old Golden
Kaiya at the Rainbow Bridge
2008 Southwind
2009 Honda CRV

Check out blog.rv.net

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/06/20 02:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jdc1 wrote:

Large amounts of food and water point to kidneys.

Kidneys check out fine.

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/06/20 02:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dturm wrote:

With the worsening cataracts and the increased water consumption I wonder if the insulin dose or kind of insulin is correct despite the recent curve results. I have not used, but there have been some who have used a Dexcom constant glucose monitor to get a better idea of glucose levels over time in diabetic.

Chasing down these types of problems that don't appear to have the "typical" causes are certainly frustrating, time consuming and costly.

Some questions I have: What are Urinalysis results, particularly SpGr, protein and glucose. What are elecrolyte values?

Depending on results, has anyone suggested a water deprivation test?

They checked for Cushing's, what about Addison's?

This is a pretty good article on diagnostic for PU/PD
VIN article

Addison's, Cushings, everything. All test results normal. You name it, they've tested for it although I am not sure on the water deprivation test. I will ask on that. He is on 11 units of Vetsulin after both meals. He has also gotten very clingy since his eye sight started to fail so that is why I am wondering if it's a "learned" behavior-he barks, we come. We tried NOT coming one morning when he had been up multiple times and it was disastrous. He pooped in his crate, which isn't that big a deal, but he managed to push his head through the space between the bottom of the crate door and the crate frame. He got stuck and started screaming. Thankfully he was not hurt.

We have had a few nights when he only got up twice. I probably should have been more specific about daytime water consumption-he gulps it down first thing in the a.m. but for the rest of the day until he goes to bed it's pretty normal and he does not pee a lot. The cycle starts at bedtime which is why we are wondering how much might be behavior. I will look into the water deprivation issue.

* This post was edited 10/06/20 03:05pm by Crowe *

Bert the Welder

Van. Island

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/20 03:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Really sorry to hear he's not getting better. Our Pit Bull George, had a tumor on his brain. We thought he had dementia and had gone mostly blind. But his eyes were fine as the vet checked. It's was the tumor that showed on xray that was the problem. He could see. Just couldn't process the visual info coming in. In the end, at 13+, it was just his time to go. Didn't want him to suffer and the vet agreed, while they could give him med's to make him comfortable, it was just a band-aid and we weren't going to prolong it just to delay him going for our sake.
If you haven't already, perhaps a second opinion.
Like children and old folks when they're cognitively on the decline, they can still realize how to get attention by making a fuss. So one can't rule that out. But unfortunately, it just may be the time for the hard choice we all hate to admit it may be time to make.
Really wish the best for you.
Bert

"> 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/06/20 04:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks, Bert. It's not time yet but I understand what you are saying. He's still a happy, silly boy during the day. It's just nights are awful.

Acampingwewillgo

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/06/20 11:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I hate hearing these stories but I know it's all part of loving the little kids. All I can offer are hopes and prayers that he gets better and let's you grab a few winks at night.

96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/07/20 07:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Acampingwewillgo wrote:

I hate hearing these stories but I know it's all part of loving the little kids. All I can offer are hopes and prayers that he gets better and let's you grab a few winks at night.

Thanks. That's much appreciated.

Last night we put him to bed at 10:30. He was up at 11:30 & 12:30 and I thought-here we go again! However, he slept from 12:30 - 5:30 with no interruptions. We get up at 6:15 so I put him back to bed and then had to wake him up! This is what is so puzzling-there is no rhyme nor reason which leads me to believe it's more psychological than physiological.

Bert the Welder

Van. Island

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/20 09:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Crowe wrote:

Acampingwewillgo wrote:

Thanks. That's much appreciated.

Last night we put him to bed at 10:30. He was up at 11:30 & 12:30 and I thought-here we go again! However, he slept from 12:30 - 5:30 with no interruptions. We get up at 6:15 so I put him back to bed and then had to wake him up! This is what is so puzzling-there is no rhyme nor reason which leads me to believe it's more psychological than physiological.

Glad you got a bit more sleep! I think, sometimes, dogs can get into habits quite easily. Casing their tail, standing at the door at 6pm as they've learn, somehow, that's when you get home.
Perhaps a walk before bed. I real walk, not a stop and sniff every 30 seconds tour. Let them have an initial sniff and pee. Once that's done, with in 5 mins, off you go at a brisk pace, no sniffing the roses. go for at least a half hour min. Get'em nice and tuckered out. Dogs can be pretty sensitive to mental and physical stimulation, or lack there of. Not saying this is your case. But it doesn't cost anything to try and might be just the ticket to tire him out before bedtime.
Best wishes.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Dogs

> At my wit's end with Jesse
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.