|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Dogs

> At my wit's end with Jesse

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/07/20 10:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Perhaps a walk before bed.

They get walked twice a day usually (afternoon and a little after dinner). Actually I should say STROLLED twice a day LOL! Jake, our other springer, has always been and old man and has never moved very fast. Jesse does not see well at night due to cataracts so he is very cautious when he walks. We now shine a flashlight on the ground in front of him and that has helped him pick up the pace a bit but "brisk" is no longer in his vocabulary LOL!. He used to wear US out trying to keep up with him but that's no longer the case.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be Douglas Adams

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

doxiemom11

Victoria TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/07/20 03:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you considered moving his crate near you at night? He is becoming more dependent on you with his eyesight failing and perhaps he gets insecure or afraid when you are not near. The water drinking to go potty may be to get your attention, so he knows where you are. Just a thought as all of our furry ones have always slept in the same room - not in our bed, but in their own bed in our room.

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/07/20 04:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ignore-operator error!

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/07/20 04:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

doxiemom11 wrote:

Have you considered moving his crate near you at night? He is becoming more dependent on you with his eyesight failing and perhaps he gets insecure or afraid when you are not near. The water drinking to go potty may be to get your attention, so he knows where you are. Just a thought as all of our furry ones have always slept in the same room - not in our bed, but in their own bed in our room.

We are thinking about that but we have to keep him in his crate at this point because we don't trust him not to go in the house-we have had some issues with that. If we move him up then we have to move Jake as well and I'm not sure we can fit two crates in our room. Plus Jake snores horribly! Listening to hubby can be bad enough but to double it might defeat the whole purpose LOL!

agteacher

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/20 07:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As a diabetic, I can say that water is desirable at night because I get dehydrated. That being said, I am controlling my diabetes with diet, not insulin now. Have you looked at the food? A meat based food is going to do more to control diabetes than a grain based. I find that if I eat grains in the evening, I am much more thirsty at night and my sugar level fluctuates more. I would look for a food with chicken, beef, or other meat and very little rice or corn. Supplement with green beans, broccoli, or other vegetables if he will eat them. Just some suggestions

camping buddies - my husband,">
American Eskimo - Baby
07 Lance 915
2015 Ram 3500 Lonestar Edition
01 International 4700 - SOLD
99 Dodge 3500 Quad Long Bed,Cummins,Rhino Liner
06 WW SLC 3505 - SOLD
48 Ford 8N was a rustbucket
52 Ford 8N w/ Sherman 54B HydroHoe

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/08/20 07:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

agteacher wrote:

As a diabetic, I can say that water is desirable at night because I get dehydrated. That being said, I am controlling my diabetes with diet, not insulin now. Have you looked at the food? A meat based food is going to do more to control diabetes than a grain based. I find that if I eat grains in the evening, I am much more thirsty at night and my sugar level fluctuates more. I would look for a food with chicken, beef, or other meat and very little rice or corn. Supplement with green beans, broccoli, or other vegetables if he will eat them. Just some suggestions

I am a diabetic as well but just had to go on meds because I have Symogi effect. I fully understand the need for water during the night. Jesse is on a prescription diet called Glycobalance which helps a lot. Last night he was up 4 times (every 2 hrs or so) which I can tolerate because I need to get up that often myself most nights. I think at this point it might just be a roller-coaster of ups and downs. He loves the colder weather and is much more active with lower temps which helps him sleep better. I'm hoping that helps some.

Bert the Welder

Van. Island

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/20 09:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

agteacher wrote:

Good thinking. Food is a pretty good thing to look at with dogs. And don't by into the stuff they sell at the vets. It's just a point of purchase profit maker for the office. No better then Dog Chow or other grocery store junk. Reading labels is a good start. At a RAW diet does wonders for some dogs. It's a PITA though if you travel due to freezer space requirements.

And good for you for squaring up your diet to control your DB and avoiding the needle. I'm not here to preach about it, but have you thought of giving eating Ketogenic a try? It seems like there's a lot of folks with DB that are kicking most if not all of their meds eating Keto. Dropping weight like a bad habit helps immensely too. I'm at 2+ yrs Keto and am down 65lbs. And that's without counting measuring or any of that and I still "over eat" calorie-wise.
Just wanted to throw that out to you as I know a couple people personally that have both stopped all their meds and are doing incredible.

"> 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.

agteacher

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/20 11:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My doctor does not want me to do keto as I had initial kidney failure when I went into the hospital in January and was diagnosed. I eat more of a paleo natural diet but limit carbs to natural low sugars. I am down 50 pounds and making/ responding to my own insulin again with no kidney problems.

Bert the Welder

Van. Island

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/20 10:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

agteacher wrote:

My doctor does not want me to do keto as I had initial kidney failure when I went into the hospital in January and was diagnosed. I eat more of a paleo natural diet but limit carbs to natural low sugars. I am down 50 pounds and making/ responding to my own insulin again with no kidney problems.

That's fantastic! I think Paleo and Keto share the concept of getting rid of those processed, useless carbs. Ditching the cheap simple carbs seems to be the big factor. Scary how much sugar is in fruit. Just not worth the fiber as you can get plenty from veg sources and nuts.

Eating keto, my gut has straightened out too. Couldn't eat dairy/lactose before without taking lactose pills. Now I'm good to go on all of it. Seemed to clear up a skin nerve disorder I had as well, that made my skin burn and itch like mad. Big relief that's subsided!!!
Glad you've had success!!!

Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/20 03:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Crowe, I don't have any advice - just my sympathy. This is almost the same path I walked with my Jimmy (mini Aussie-poo) - the biggest problem I had was his perpetual "puppy state of mind" - he would play like he was a kid again (despite being blind), and kept hurting himself. And then being diabetic, the injuries didn't heal unless he was on antibiotics. He too was getting clingy at times; or would get "lost" at night (he slept with us, wearing a male diaper at night) And he too was losing weight, in spite of eating a large meal twice a day.... I have no idea how many times he had me in tears for him....

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Dogs

> At my wit's end with Jesse
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.