|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Dogs

> At my wit's end with Jesse

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/09/20 06:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Deb and Ed M wrote:

Crowe, I don't have any advice - just my sympathy. This is almost the same path I walked with my Jimmy (mini Aussie-poo) - the biggest problem I had was his perpetual "puppy state of mind" - he would play like he was a kid again (despite being blind), and kept hurting himself. And then being diabetic, the injuries didn't heal unless he was on antibiotics. He too was getting clingy at times; or would get "lost" at night (he slept with us, wearing a male diaper at night) And he too was losing weight, in spite of eating a large meal twice a day.... I have no idea how many times he had me in tears for him....

Thanks for the kind thoughts. That sounds so familiar. When I think of how he was up until about 6 months ago it just breaks my heart. He's still happy to walk when it's light out and if we put a flashlight beam in front of him he will walk at night. He loves the cooler weather and that's giving him incentive to walk. If we take him outside with us when we are working in the yard he is so happy but won't stay outside in the kennel like he used to at our other house, even if Jake is with him. Thankfully Jake is still Jake-a big ole dopey dog. He responded very well almost immediately to the insulin. His eyesight is starting to fail a bit but no where near as bad Jesse. It's tough having two diabetic dogs in the house but it is what it is.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be Douglas Adams

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/14/20 02:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are now having good nights and not so good nights. Last Saturday he only got up once at 3:30 a.m. Most nights now it's every 2-3 hours which is tolerable but not great. And we still have the "every hour on the hour" nights. No rhyme nor reason as far as we can tell except the calmer he is when he goes to bed the better he does. Trouble is we can't figure out what's setting him off. Not sure it's us doing anything but it's now "it is what it is".

Pawz4me

North Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 10/14/20 05:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Crowe, we've been dealing with a somewhat similar sleep issue with one of our dogs. I haven't listed her in my signature line yet (need to do that), but she's been with us since late March. We "failed" at fostering her and formally adopted her in May. She's probably a Lhasa Apso or a mix, and is estimated to be 8 years old. She had always been a calm, somewhat independent dog, and an excellent sleeper until the very early morning hours of 9/22. She seemed to wake up from a sound sleep in a full blown panic or pain attack--shaking, panting, pawing at us, wouldn't settle down at all. This went on for hours and hours, well into the next day. She didn't sleep at all for almost 24 hours.

On 9/23 I dropped her off at the vet for a thorough exam and blood work. Everything checked out fine. The vet suggested trying some Gabapentin at night to see if that would help her. It didn't do a thing. We were up with her anywhere from a couple of hours to all night. Every night. We tried melatonin for several nights but that did nothing. We had to strategize every evening about what we would try for her, whose night it was to get up with her (or stay up with her if she wouldn't settle at all), etc. She continued to have the panic/pain attacks, and to have very prolonged periods of not sleeping at all. The longest we timed was 25,5 hours without sleeping.

I took her back to the vet Monday, this time for a urinalysis and xrays to see if there were any masses, spinal or joint issues that might be causing pain, or anything else that jumped out. Her xrays and urinalysis looked fine, but the vet (different one than the first time) diagnosed her with infections in both ears, and one of them was particularly bad.

The vet who saw her the first time noted some wax in her ears, but nothing else remarkable. But her ear pigment is very dark and it's very hard to see in them. Anyway, we don't know if the ear infections were percolating all this time and are the root cause of her sleeping issues or if they're recent/coincidental and unrelated. The vet treated them and gave me some Trazadone to help her (and us!) get some rest. The first night it didn't do anything, but last night she slept through the night for the first time in three weeks. It was glorious!

It's going to take a little while to see if the ear infections were the actual cause of her lack of sleeping or if it's something else. We've got Trazadone for eight more nights, so we're hopeful that all of us can get rested up, and then when that's gone--and by then her ears should be feeling much better--we'll see if she'll go back to her normal good sleeper self. If not then I'm hoping the vet will give us an ongoing script for Trazadone (assuming it continues to help her). Not getting enough sleep was really wearing on all of us after just three weeks.

Anyway, I don't know if there's anything there that's helpful to you. I mainly wanted to let you know you're not alone in dealing with a dog with sleep issues. Good luck!

Me, DH and Yogi (Shih Tzu)
2017 Winnebago Travato 59K

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/15/20 07:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks, Pawz! Jake (our other springer) had been miserable for a while-not eating, really mopey, etc., and it turned out to be a double ear infection. The vet put in some sort of drop that lasts two weeks and he's been fine. Jesse's ears have been checked and there's no sign of infection and he's showing no signs they are bothering him. Gabapentin did nothing as well. Fortunately I am not working right now. I get up and get the dogs settled while my husband gets ready for work (it's such a long commute to the basement LOL!) but then go back to bed. I can handle getting up a couple of times a night-I finally had to go on diabetes meds so I'm up a few times myself. I just wish we could get him to settle in for his own well-being.

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/18/20 07:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jesse slept both Friday and Saturday nights for 6 hour stretches, then went back to bed. I don't understand LOL!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Dogs

> At my wit's end with Jesse
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.