RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Winterizing TT for 1st time and have a ??? about the toilet.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Winterizing TT for 1st time and have a ??? about the toilet.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
bacabunch

Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/09/20 05:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Howdy,

We just purchased a Springdale TT with toilet cleaning system. I flushed the line several times and still see some residue down in the line. I plan on blowing out the supply lines. Is it common to have about an inch of water down in the toilet drain?

"White Knuckles" Ben ">
2020 Springdale 282BH Travel Trailer pulled by a 2015 Chevy 2500HD Silverado LB.

Ben">Marisela">Natalie">Maria">Emily">Matthew">Abby>JoeJoe: Bogey(Westie)"> Gracie(Shih Tzu) "> Daisy (Yorkie)

Lwiddis

Death Valley NP

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/09/20 05:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

An inch is excessive IMO. Should just cover opening valve.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

AJR

Close to Madison Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/20 06:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Never did air only to winterize. The toilet has to have some RV antifreeze in the bowl.

2014 Leprechaun 290QB
Chevy 2400 6.0
2015 GMC Terrain AWD

kellem

Shenandoah valley,VA

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/20 07:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Owned 4 trailers and have not heard of toilet cleaning system.
Make sure everything is pink with RV antifreeze and should be good.

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/20 09:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bacabunch wrote:

Howdy,

We just purchased a Springdale TT with toilet cleaning system. I flushed the line several times and still see some residue down in the line. I plan on blowing out the supply lines. Is it common to have about an inch of water down in the toilet drain?

Define toilet drain? Mine just has a straight drop to the black tank. , and yes there will be water in there. If you mean inside the bowl. Open the flapper and let it out, then put some pink in it to keep the seal from drying out

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

bacabunch

Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/10/20 08:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The cleaning system, hook a hose to the outside hookup and it sprays out the black tank. The water left is in the bottom of the black tank not the bowl. Does the water ever completely drain from the black tank? Im sure im over thinking this but im sure rv antifreeze will just mix with any water residue.....

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/20 08:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ah, you're referring to the black tank flush system. Since I don't have to winterize I can't say what I would do. But if you can see the fresh water hose up to the sprayer on the tank I would make sure there's no residual water in it.

As far as the toilet and black and gray tanks. I think based on reading here for many years that most people put a little antifreeze into the waste tanks so that it can flow down to the drain valves and protect them. As far as the tanks as a whole just drain them for winter. The residual liquid in the tanks will freeze. But since the tank is drained there won't be enough ice expansion to damage anything.

In the toilet itself most people pour a little antifreeze to cover the blade seal. Though I've also read about people using mineral oil to cover the blade seal because the pink stuff can stain the plastic bowl.

Bypass and drain the water heater. But do not put antifreeze into it.

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

kellem

Shenandoah valley,VA

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/20 12:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Accidentally left black tank half full one winter, no issues simply because there was room for expansion.

A little residual water left in any of the tanks will present no issues.

GrandpaKip

Flat Rock

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/20 08:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To winterize the black tank flush, I attach a hose from the outside shower to the inlet. When the system is pressurized, open the shower valve and the pink stuff goes in.
If using air, just switch from city water inlet to the flush inlet.

Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/20 09:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bacabunch wrote:

The cleaning system, hook a hose to the outside hookup and it sprays out the black tank. The water left is in the bottom of the black tank not the bowl. Does the water ever completely drain from the black tank? Im sure im over thinking this but im sure rv antifreeze will just mix with any water residue.....

Honestly. NEVER leave the black tank completely empty, always leave a couple gallons of water in it to keep it from drying out, and causing a septic smell. I leave about 4 gal in mine with tankchem in there.

and there is no need to put antifreeze in there. Freeze damage only occurs when there is no room for the water to expand, once it starts to freeze. If you have 5 gal in a 30 gal tank. There is plenty of room for expansion.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Winterizing TT for 1st time and have a ??? about the toilet.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.