|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Mexico and South Amer...

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Mexico and South America

> Turned back at border

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/10/20 07:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

Ed_Gee wrote:

The border has been closed for many months. Where has this couple been - hiding in some cave? I have little sympathy for this situation.

Stupidity all around.
- They waited until 2 weeks before they had to renew the residency in person.
- They didn't confirm with the US boarder that they would be let in (did they check with the Mexican border?)
- Sounds like the US Border is in retribution mode over Canada's approach to border control.
- Canada Border just comes across as power mad.

I think Canada has been pretty fair. They allow Alaskans to transverse Canada to get home and possibly back to the lower 48 if necessary.
As I understand they are given a specific route to travel and a tight time line to exit at a specific border crossing typically Blaine Peace Arch crossing.
There is a related story of a US couple that stopped in Vancouver for a little vacation time, in the news story..

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Lwiddis

Lone Pine, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/10/20 07:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

X2, Ed Gee!

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

moisheh

North America

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/10/20 07:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There were many Americans that abused Canada's kindness. They went to Banff and other tourist areas. One couple paid a big fine.

Talleyho69

Playa la Ropa, Zihuatanejo, Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/20 08:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They can fly down if it's important to them.

Tequila

Canada - Summer, Mexico - Winter

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/20 08:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

moisheh wrote:

There were many Americans that abused Canada's kindness. They went to Banff and other tourist areas. One couple paid a big fine.

A couple from Kentucky were fined $750,000. I think they did it twice
https://globalnews.ca/news/7289586/kentu........n-750000-fine-canadian-quarantine-rules/

* This post was edited 10/10/20 08:27am by Tequila *

qtla9111

Monterrey, Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/20 10:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

People will try anything to avoid the rules or just to try and get away with it. Stay home this year, we have enough problems of our own here in Mexico.

If you're residents and have homes here or whatever and it falls under the guidelines, fine.

Just let it go. This is history in the making and we are all part of it. Read up on what happened in 1918, same thing then as now, nobody wants to be told what to do, how to do it or when to do it. It's called being human and sometimes that's not saying much.

2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

Tequila

Canada - Summer, Mexico - Winter

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/20 10:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

qtla9111 wrote:

People will try anything to avoid the rules or just to try and get away with it. Stay home this year, we have enough problems of our own here in Mexico.

If you're residents and have homes here or whatever and it falls under the guidelines, fine.

Just let it go. This is history in the making and we are all part of it. Read up on what happened in 1918, same thing then as now, nobody wants to be told what to do, how to do it or when to do it. It's called being human and sometimes that's not saying much.

Even though I am a Mexican resident, I am staying the winter in Canada. First of all my parents are in their 90's, the virus is not as bad here and Russian roulette is not my game. I am still hoping for a vaccine by Feb and maybe be able to come down in late spring.

BTW there are some Quebecers planning to ship their RV's across the border and then fly into the US to retrieve them. It's no wonder Quebec has the worst problem in Canada with that attitude.

Galvanizd

Puerto Penasco Mexico.... For a bit.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/10/20 10:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've read about fairness, rules, guidlines and kindness here with regard to countries. The law, is what governs entry into the United States , Canada, Mexico. We may not like it but until we get it changed, each country will dictate what their entry/exit requirements are.... by law.

I agree , stay home if you are terrified by the current situation. If you choose to travel to a foreign country, by all means, follow the laws of that country or face the consequences.

We travel to Puerto Penasco every February, we'll follow the current law at that time and if we choose not to, then we just won't go.

We have Canadian friends that own homes in Arizona, that we travel to Mexico with. We're trying to help by checking on their homes for them , as they may not make it south this year.

azdryheat

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/10/20 12:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What goes around, comes around.

2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2016 RZR 900

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/10/20 01:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That was not a Border Control agency decision! That was made by the Border Guard, IMO.
They should complain to their Government in Canada.
It would have likely done no good to complain to that Guard's decision to his Superior, IMO. They have latitude in what they do on who gets to cross, who gets inspected etc. to upset or disrupt patterns at the border...then some are just AHs. Don't take what I say as final word it is just my opinon from observation.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Mexico and South America

> Turned back at border
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Mexico and South Amer...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.