|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> tire pressure class c

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/20 07:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is always the tried and true "chalk mark" method. Get some chalk, and draw a line across the tread of the tires. Drive for 100 yards or so. If the chalk mark is gone on the edges, but not in the middle, the tire is under inflated. Add air.
If the chalk mark is gone in the middle, but not on the edges, the tire is over inflated. Decrease the pressure.
If the chalk is gone clear across the tread, the tire is properly inflated for the current load.
If the chalk is gone on one side of the tire, there is an alignment problem that needs to be fixed ASAP!

Under inflated or over inflated results in a small contact patch, which results in poor grip on the highway. We need all the rubber on the road we can get!

CM1, USN (RET)
2002 Fleetwood Southwind 32V, Ford V10
Daily Driver: '06 PT Cruiser Turbo
Toad: '05 Wrangler Unlimited
Toy: 1999 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, Auto, 4X4
Other toys: 2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/20 10:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Btw, the “tried n true “ chalk mark test is about the worst way to figure it out unless one can’t envision what gross over or under inflation looks like.
Either go hit a truck scale or do a little math based on Uvw, anticipated axle loads and a good guesstimate of how much ccc you’re using. And what your tire load capacities are.
Not rocket surgery and not that difficult.
You’ll find 65 is probably right for little tires under a big van steer axle.
The right rear pressure could be all over the board. But higher than necessary is safer than lower than necessary.

But you have to do your own math. We can’t invent the math without the numbers

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/20 10:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wa8yxm wrote:

Till you scale it go with the maker's mark (No not the booze) The manfacturer's recommendation.

Then get it weighed and use the Tire Maker's inflation chart.

I say that because there are a few inflation pressures all but guaranteed to be wrong

1: The number on the sidewall (Actually it's right but you need to read the full sentence: Maximum load of xxxxx pounds at maximum pressure of yy PSI)

2: the pressure on the sticker (They do not know know much STUFF you have)

3: The pressure the tire dealer puts in.

On my rig.. turns out the sidewall is correct as loaded.

I agree but I will add by saying to add 10 psi to the front chart spec and 5psi to the rears.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal 90713

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/20 12:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

I agree but I will add by saying to add 10 psi to the front chart spec and 5psi to the rears.

That is ludicrous the very reason of the spec chart is to give you the BEST INFORMATION why use it at all if you choose to ignore it...[emoticon]

2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental

Buying A Rental Class C

Chevrolet Based Class C

dedmiston

The West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/20 12:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Moved from General RVing.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/20 01:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

For most class C's, adding 5 psi to the rear tires over the chassis manufacturer's recommendations (i.e. the door sticker) will put the tires exactly 5 psi over their maximum inflation pressure. The rear axle weight rating is the maximum for the standard tires at their maximum pressure of 80 psi. It's fairly likely the wheels are also rated for a maximum of 80 psi.

Would 5 psi higher than the rating be dangerous in practice? Probably not...but still it's hardly a good idea.

Jack Spratt

Maine

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/20 03:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a 2019 260DSF
Front 70# Rear 75#
Airbags at 50#
These #’s work great for us. Gusty 35 + blowing the semi’s around
and we had a steady ride.
I might try 75# on the front tires on our next trip, but think the handling
and ride quality might suffer.
The door sticker calls for 75 and 80.

Leprechaun 260 DSF
2017 Big Horn FL3750

'10 Yellow Lab to keep us on our toes.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/20 03:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IAMICHABOD wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

That is ludicrous the very reason of the spec chart is to give you the BEST INFORMATION why use it at all if you choose to ignore it...[emoticon]

Gee thanks

Have you ever gotten over 100k on LT tires on a 4x4 2500 RAM diesel? I have and more.

Also thanks for the name calling.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/20 03:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DrewE wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

For most class C's, adding 5 psi to the rear tires over the chassis manufacturer's recommendations (i.e. the door sticker) will put the tires exactly 5 psi over their maximum inflation pressure. The rear axle weight rating is the maximum for the standard tires at their maximum pressure of 80 psi. It's fairly likely the wheels are also rated for a maximum of 80 psi.

Would 5 psi higher than the rating be dangerous in practice? Probably not...but still it's hardly a good idea.

Don’t most have dual rear wheels with “E” tires???

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/20 03:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DrewE wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Please show me a class C rear tire inflation of 80psi. Do you understand that will add up to at least 11,000#.

Like I said weigh your rig LOADED. Use chart, it ain’t gonna be 80psi front or rear.

I run full rear axle rating of 9,750#. Ram says 65psi rear.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> tire pressure class c
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.