RV.Net Open Roads Forum: The price of new trucks is beyond comprehension!

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> The price of new trucks is beyond comprehension!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 26  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
monkey44

Cape Cod, MA and Central Fla

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/21 06:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Would be interesting to see 2019 >>> 2020 >>> 2021 ... especially pickup trucks.

Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

Timmo!

Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/09/21 10:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

monkey44 wrote:

Would be interesting to see 2019 >>> 2020 >>> 2021 ... especially pickup trucks.

Yep, but I did stumble on this graph by Autopadre.com---

[image]

Let's Go Brandon!!!!
Tim & Sue
Hershey (Sheltie)
2005 F150 4x4 Lariat 5.4L 3.73 Please buy a Hybrid...I need your gas for my 35.7 gallon tank!
2000 Nash 19B...comfortably pimped with a real Queen Size Bed

RV Jim

Palmyra, Pa.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/15/21 07:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ktosv wrote:

I have often thought the OEM’s should offer a version of their vehicles that don’t contain all of the advancements and safety features of the last 40 years.

They probably could sell them at a much reduced price for those that don’t like car prices of today. Of course the consumer would need to sign a waiver stating they won’t sue when they are injured or more likely killed when in an accident.

If you park a 35-40 year vehicle next to a new vehicle the differences are astounding.

Yes, but you could work on that 35-40 year old truck with room to spare.
I worked at a Ford dealer in 1978 and that was the first year trucks hit the $10,000 mark.

burningman

Seattle, WA USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/26/21 10:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’ve got no intention of ever selling my1986 GMC 4x4 crew cab dually.
I might put a Cummins diesel in it, although it’s actually lots cheaper to put gas in it than to do the diesel swap or buy a new or late-model truck.
It’s cheap and relatively easy to work on and extremely reliable. There just aren’t nearly as many things to go wrong on it.
And.... it’s so much better looking! The new ones are SO UGLY!

2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/26/21 11:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RV Jim wrote:

ktosv wrote:

I have often thought the OEM’s should offer a version of their vehicles that don’t contain all of the advancements and safety features of the last 40 years.

They probably could sell them at a much reduced price for those that don’t like car prices of today. Of course the consumer would need to sign a waiver stating they won’t sue when they are injured or more likely killed when in an accident.

If you park a 35-40 year vehicle next to a new vehicle the differences are astounding.

Yes, but you could work on that 35-40 year old truck with room to spare.
I worked at a Ford dealer in 1978 and that was the first year trucks hit the $10,000 mark.

Have you even opened the hood on any newer rear wheel drive gasser vehicle? Or are you just stuck reminiscing about the “good old days?”
That question is rhetorical, as it’s a given you’re just complaining about “new” stuff.
Sure newer diesel emissions have mucked up under hood access, but you can’t compare the performance to whatever 40-50 year old pooch your referring to as having “room to spare.”

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/26/21 11:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

burningman wrote:

I’ve got no intention of ever selling my1986 GMC 4x4 crew cab dually.
I might put a Cummins diesel in it, although it’s actually lots cheaper to put gas in it than to do the diesel swap or buy a new or late-model truck.
It’s cheap and relatively easy to work on and extremely reliable. There just aren’t nearly as many things to go wrong on it.
And.... it’s so much better looking! The new ones are SO UGLY!

While I can’t fault your love for a 86 GMC (just bought one last year, currently restoring), the rest of your argument is as dumb as chit flavored chocolates….
I got a nice unmolested truck that everything worked on it and I can tell you I’ve fixed at least a couple dozen things that I haven’t touched in 30 years on newer vehicles. Is it because 80s GM iron is no good? Little of that but mostly, IT’S OLD. And just like you, cars don’t work as well and need repair when they’re OLD.
And let’s not even compare performance.
My truck has a healthy 454 in it and it’s fun. It also s ucks donkey dong for towing performance and comfort compared to newer trucks. Just how it is. Even if it’s fun to reminisce…

Bottom line, anyone making these types of statements is either defending/hiding their financial inability to have a new truck or simply being obtuse for the sake of arguing. (And resistant to change)

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/26/21 11:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

@burningman, your sig says it all.
Don’t see you hauling the TC on the GMC and your “newer” diesel has, wait, what?
Tuned, injectors (guaranteed, or at least it should), built trans to overcome that weak chit, gear vendors? Lol, thought 86 was the pinnacle of trucks and you added more gears to your ‘99 and exhaust brake.
So in all, you’ve added an easy 10grand givertake just in parts to get your truck closer to performing like a newer diesel does right off the car lot….and you do your own work.
Someone who doesn’t could put a 30% down payment on a new diesel just with parts and labor for your “mods.” And would still have a old floppy, ill handling truck with little brakes, drums in back, loud and with a VP pump. The CP4 of the 90s, lol!
Just sayin…..

To be fair, I understand cars, I like trucks and modding both. But I don’t get lost in the past!

ksss

Eastern Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 09/27/21 10:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

@burningman, your sig says it all.
Don’t see you hauling the TC on the GMC and your “newer” diesel has, wait, what?
Tuned, injectors (guaranteed, or at least it should), built trans to overcome that weak chit, gear vendors? Lol, thought 86 was the pinnacle of trucks and you added more gears to your ‘99 and exhaust brake.
So in all, you’ve added an easy 10grand givertake just in parts to get your truck closer to performing like a newer diesel does right off the car lot….and you do your own work.
Someone who doesn’t could put a 30% down payment on a new diesel just with parts and labor for your “mods.” And would still have a old floppy, ill handling truck with little brakes, drums in back, loud and with a VP pump. The CP4 of the 90s, lol!
Just sayin…..

To be fair, I understand cars, I like trucks and modding both. But I don’t get lost in the past!

I will add this little story about "getting lost in the past". I bought an 84 K30 4X4 SRW with a 6.2L used with 43K on it in 1989 when I was about a year from getting out of the Corps (Ironically from my Sgt Major). Injector pump was out, typical issue at the time. I paid one of the USMC Hummer mechanics a case of beer and he swapped it out for me. Kept that truck until 1998 or so. I sold it with 225K on it. I loved that truck. I had contemplated for years about finding another and putting a Duramax in it. About 8 years ago, the Chevy dealer called and said they had an '85 K-30 4X4 SRW with a 454 they brought in on trade. Would sell it to me for $2500. It was in exceptional shape, Silverado, power windows and locks, everything I wanted. Drove it about 30 miles and brought it back and walked away. I felt like I was driving a grain truck from my childhood days. That 30 mile test drive was all I needed to save myself tens of thousands of dollars. My memories of the truck were much better than reality. New paint is expensive, but you are getting a lot more truck as well.

2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/27/21 11:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^Totally. Makes sense. But new truck convo aside, $2500 for a good shape Big block K30 4x4 square?? O M G
You’d have an easy 50% per year returning that thing now!
I mean, I love bombing around in my old CJ5. To the store or on a trail or across town maybe.
My 86 GMC, also fun to drive. Loud, lifted, big block, cooool! Don’t mind even driving that to seattle. 3000rpms at 70 mph is a bit muc though. In fairness an original truck with taller gears would be more user friendly and comfortable.
Both would make it to Colorado and back. And the truck would tow a camper
But unless out of necessity, I wouldn’t consider it with either, not in the least. I’d at a minimum have a GMT 400 if I was doing road trips in an older truck.

ksss

Eastern Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/21 07:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yea in hindsight, if I would have just bought it and left it alone it would be worth a lot of money right now. It was a great deal. There are precious few of the K-30 4X4 SRW's running around, especially loaded like this one was.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 26  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> The price of new trucks is beyond comprehension!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.