|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Jump starters

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Chum lee

Albuquerque, NM

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/20 12:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BobsYourUncle wrote:

Do those things actually work?

My truck passed out in a customers driveway a couple years ago. I was due for a pair of batteries.
Customer hooked up his little jump box thing and it did nothing, just made a little clicking noise and whined a bit....

I have a portable jumper battery (lead/acid) which I bought from Costco several years ago for about $70. A neighbor in a BLM campground drained both 12 volt starting batteries on his older Ford diesel pickup with a V-8 engine. I figured, . . . why not try it? I hooked it up and let it charge for about 5 minutes. He cranked the engine. It hemmed and hawed for a few seconds, then to both of our surprise, it started. To date, it has saved at least 6 people, including myself, several times. I won't leave home without it. There are as many different types as there are batteries.

Chum lee

BobsYourUncle

Calgary Alberta Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/20 02:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Interesting, thanks.

2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ
Dmax/Allison

2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS - 32'

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/13/20 04:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We used ours the other day. It's lithium ion. Last time it was used was over a year ago. It was down two bars out of five on charge. I don't remember, if after using it back then we recharged it or not.

Wife says we did.

Yeti plus

S.W. Ontario

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/13/20 06:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BobsYourUncle wrote:

Do those things actually work?

My truck passed out in a customers driveway a couple years ago. I was due for a pair of batteries.
Customer hooked up his little jump box thing and it did nothing, just made a little clicking noise and whined a bit....

With the diesel you need 2. My old 06 GMC died when my wife had it. I was tied up on a breakdown at work so she called CAA. I fixed the work problem and arrived just after the CAA booster truck. His battery pack wouldn't start it so I put my booster pack on the second battery, and the truck fired right up. She took the car and I took the truck and bought 2 new batteries after work.
I now carry 2 of the lithium packs in the truck. Haven't used it on my vehicles, but a couple of people were very happy that I had them when they needed a boost!

2014 Chevrolet 3500 CC 4X4 Duramax, Tork Lift Tiedowns, TorkLift Fastguns, Superhitch and supertruss
2009 Jayco 213
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

BobsYourUncle

Calgary Alberta Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/13/20 07:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Interesting about the booster packs.
Perhaps I should look into them.
Being old school, and a guy who has been turning wrenches since I was a teenager, I have a hard time wrapping my head around something tiny having enough oooomph to start a vehicle.

CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

View Profile

Posted: 10/13/20 07:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BobsYourUncle wrote:

Being old school, and a guy who has been turning wrenches since I was a teenager, I have a hard time wrapping my head around something tiny having enough oooomph to start a vehicle.

Me too.

I think they will spin the motor over about 3-5 times and the die quickly. That's if,,, the battery in the vehicle was only partly dead. If it is dead, dead, as in not enough power to light a single 12 volt tail light bulb, then I don't think the Jumper Pack (as they are called around here) will do much.

Also, if the vehicle ran the battery down trying to get it started in the first place, then the jumper pack is going to fix what ever the original problem was.

I used to get kick out of people back in the day that would set there crank , and crank, and crank, and crank, on the engine until the battery was dead and then ask for a jump start. Why not try and figure out why it didn't start in the first place ??? no use running your battery all the way down to that last partial crank. It's not going to magically start then. Fix the problem before you run the battery down.

I still wonder about people like that.

P.S. I am not talking about people who's battery got old and tired, left their lights on, or stuff like that. I am talking about people with good batteries that run it down cranking the motor over and over for no reason.

Jack Spratt

Maine

View Profile

Posted: 10/14/20 06:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think they will spin the motor over about 3-5 times and the die quickly. That's if,,, the battery in the vehicle was only partly dead. If it is dead, dead, as in not enough power to light a single 12 volt tail light bulb, then I don't think the Jumper Pack (as they are called around here) will do much.

Quite a strong opinion for no experience with them,
but this is the internet...
They would surprise you with how many jumps you get out of
a single charge, even with diesels.

Leprechaun 260 DSF
2017 Big Horn FL3750

'10 Yellow Lab to keep us on our toes.

JimBollman

Lost State of Franklin

View Profile

Posted: 10/14/20 06:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not sure why you wouldn't recharge at the first opportunity after using your jumper battery. I have both a wet cell older unit that I have replaced the battery a few times over the years and a new style lithium. I have started many cars with the old one over the years and a few with the new one. The new one has started everything from our Honda CRV to a small block Chevy with no problem. I recharge after use and usually top it off once a year. There was still charge left after starting the small block and would have probably started another one. I carry the lithium in my truck, the other one stays in my shop for when I needed it.

garmp

St Louis, MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/15/20 02:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So... which is the best bang for the buck? Hoping that you won't use it.

Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

sgfrye

north carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/16/20 10:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BobsYourUncle wrote:

i have no experience trying to jump start a diesel engine, but i can tell you from experience managing a van fleet and personal use, i have used them to jump start large ford v8s, mid size engines, small 12 volts like riding mowers. the different jump boxes i used were normally in the 60 to 80 dollar range. yes they work well unless the battery is way past dead.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Jump starters
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.