|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Snowbirds

Open Roads Forum  >  Snowbirds

> Winter in Vancouver Island

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
happycamper1942

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/20 06:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So I just read in my local paper that just about every RV park on Vancouver Island is booked solid right through the winter until April. This is Canadians from colder parts of Canada who normally go south for the winter but can't because of the border closing taking advantage of the relative mild winters on Vancouver Island and the coast of BC in general. In a normal year the parks would only be about 30-40% full, so a great boost for the local economy.

2008 Ford F350 crew cab short box PSD, 2005 28 foot Gulfstream Innsbruck 5th wheel.

Lwiddis

Camping near Pearsonville, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/20 06:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It’s going to be an interesting Winter! TY for the information.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

BobsYourUncle

Calgary Alberta Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/20 08:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ahh, it's not so bad!

I've worked out of my TT many years on the Island.
Mostly mild, but rain rain rain! Temperatures hovering close to freezing and a bit of wind makes it feel very cold. But winters aren't always like that, there are better weather times too.

I did one 2 week stint in Campbell River in December where it dropped well below freezing for about a week. That was interesting trying to drain the tanks.

But yeah, why not?
Leave the frozen north and stay on the Island? It's beautiful there, all the way from Victoria to Port Hardy. Just have to dress accordingly.

2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ
Dmax/Allison

2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS - 32'

duramaxdelight

everywhere

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/12/20 10:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some friends called a RV park, I believe in southern BC, they were told they

are 155 on waiting list. Wow!

Duramax 2011
2011 Cameo"> 37resls">

"To be just as enthusiastic about the success of others as you are about your own"">

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/20 11:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wonder if boondocking is viable on Vancouver Island.

Are there Provincial Parks open?

Thanks to an Id ten T person in Saskatoon (he was asked to move along, and did so--after pulling his black tank valve) none of the Walmarts in Saskatchewan allow over night parking.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/20 02:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Even in the Okanagan Valley most deep service campgrounds/RV parks are booked up. We have pretty mild winters here but can get the odd cold snap that will make you run for your long undies. We are setting up our Christmas tree in our townhouse for the first time in 17 years.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the US opens its border come the new year. Just a guess.

unbob

Hood River, OR

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/20 04:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A bit OT - but what about summers on Vancouver Island? We live in Tucson and this summer was the hottest and driest ever in recorded history - absolutely brutal! Any ideas or suggestions welcomed! Or should I start a new thread?

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/20 04:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

unbob wrote:

A bit OT - but what about summers on Vancouver Island? We live in Tucson and this summer was the hottest and driest ever in recorded history - absolutely brutal! Any ideas or suggestions welcomed! Or should I start a new thread?

Lots of American spend summer on the island or mainland coast or both. It can get busy with tourists though. Tons of Germans, French, Swiss etc etc. Best to scout it out first year and see what you like. Victoria area is a very nice spot to spend a month or two.

Or for a completely different more European experience head for Quebec City in the province of Quebec. Beautiful historic area and one of my favourite parts of the country. Totally French speaking area but they are a great bunch and they’ll treat you well. We love the culture and the history. Hope to get back there in a couple summers and pass the entire summer in the old city. And no it’s not as hot as Arizona. [emoticon].

Cheers.

Tequila

Canada - Summer, Mexico - Winter

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/20 04:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reisender wrote:

unbob wrote:

Lots of American spend summer on the island or mainland coast or both. It can get busy with tourists though. Tons of Germans, French, Swiss etc etc. Best to scout it out first year and see what you like. Victoria area is a very nice spot to spend a month or two.

Or for a completely different more European experience head for Quebec City in the province of Quebec. Beautiful historic area and one of my favourite parts of the country. Totally French speaking area but they are a great bunch and they’ll treat you well. We love the culture and the history. Hope to get back there in a couple summers and pass the entire summer in the old city. And no it’s not as hot as Arizona. [emoticon].

Cheers.

The okanagan valley of BC can be almost as hot as arizona

JaxDad

Greater Toronto Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/15/20 05:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BobsYourUncle wrote:

Ahh, it's not so bad!

Mostly mild, but rain rain rain! Temperatures hovering close to freezing and a bit of wind makes it feel very cold.

There’s a HUGE variance in the weather depending on where on the island you are. Campbell River, BC gets on average 14089 mm (55.5 in) of rainfall per year, the Victoria BC area gets 583 mm (23 inches) of rain a year, almost 1/3rd and it’s only about 240 km (150 miles) south. Victoria gets on average 308 sunny days a year.

Our place just west of Victoria gets far sunnier & drier weather than our place in Toronto.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Snowbirds

> Winter in Vancouver Island
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Snowbirds

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.