RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: NEVER TO OLD TO LEARN (new tricks)

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> NEVER TO OLD TO LEARN (new tricks)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
GPG52!

BURLINGTON, ON

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/12/20 09:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a couple of RV winterizing questions:
QUESTIONS:
.. - What is the optimum PSI used when blowing out your RV water lines? (Newer trailers using PEX piping)
..- Do you disconnect your LP gas tanks before winter storage? After you securely close your LP tank valves, do you disconnect the tanks to relieve pressure in your RV's gas lines.
CURIOUSITY:
..- More of a preference on my part... Do you remove your spare tire cover and store it indoors vs. leaving it out to the elements for the winter months...con's leaves the spare tire open to elements and possible premature weather damage.

GPG ">
2014 Ford F250, 6.2L, 4.30 Ratio, 6 speed
2014 Cougar (by Keystone) 327 RES

BurbMan

Islip, Long Island

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/12/20 09:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

- What is the optimum PSI used when blowing out your RV water lines? (Newer trailers using PEX piping)

I would stay around 40-45 psi, that's where a regulator keeps you when connected to city water. Don't forget to open the low point drains and relieve the pressure on the check valve.

- Do you disconnect your LP gas tanks before winter storage? After you securely close your LP tank valves, do you disconnect the tanks to relieve pressure in your RV's gas lines.

I leave my propane connected and on year-round. I am usually in the RV during the off-season making mods of some kind and sometimes it's nice to have heat on.

- More of a preference on my part... Do you remove your spare tire cover and store it indoors vs. leaving it out to the elements for the winter months...con's leaves the spare tire open to elements and possible premature weather damage.

The cover protects the tire primarily from UV damage which is just as bad in the winter as summer. If you're parked in such a way that the spare stays out of the sun all day, then it wouldn't hurt to bring the cover inside. If your spare gets any sun at all, I would leave the cover on it.

Also remember to prop open the fridge doors when it's turned off to prevent mold and mildew.

2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab Long Box, Cummins diesel
2002 Lance 811 Slide-In Camper

Lance 811 Renovation Story!
Project Complete!
Maiden Voyage!

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/20 09:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BurbMan wrote:

- What is the optimum PSI used when blowing out your RV water lines? (Newer trailers using PEX piping)

I would stay around 40-45 psi, that's where a regulator keeps you when connected to city water. Don't forget to open the low point drains and relieve the pressure on the check valve.

- Do you disconnect your LP gas tanks before winter storage? After you securely close your LP tank valves, do you disconnect the tanks to relieve pressure in your RV's gas lines.

I leave my propane connected and on year-round. I am usually in the RV during the off-season making mods of some kind and sometimes it's nice to have heat on.

- More of a preference on my part... Do you remove your spare tire cover and store it indoors vs. leaving it out to the elements for the winter months...con's leaves the spare tire open to elements and possible premature weather damage.

The cover protects the tire primarily from UV damage which is just as bad in the winter as summer. If you're parked in such a way that the spare stays out of the sun all day, then it wouldn't hurt to bring the cover inside. If your spare gets any sun at all, I would leave the cover on it.

Also remember to prop open the fridge doors when it's turned off to prevent mold and mildew.

I remove my spare tire and lay it inside the camper. It's clean, and hurts nothing. Ain't heavy either.

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/20 10:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you set the air pressure about the same as the city water pressure regulator, it shouldn't hurt anything.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

GPG52!

BURLINGTON, ON

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/12/20 10:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you to all..
BurbMan, when you say "relieve the pressure on the check valve" are you referring to the Hot Water Tank check valve?

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/20 07:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GPG52! wrote:

Thank you to all..
BurbMan, when you say "relieve the pressure on the check valve" are you referring to the Hot Water Tank check valve?
just open a valve / faucet any where. It will let the pressure off the system

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/12/20 08:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LP - Turn off the main valve at the cylinder only.

Tire Cover - Blew off en route a decade ago and never replaced.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/13/20 04:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IMO I wouldn’t use compressed air , unless you have filtration system on your compressor. There is no way I want what I see draining out of mine going into those water lines .

Limit4

Festus Missouri USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/15/20 07:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just on the tire cover, being a 5 or 6 times a year camper and usually for 2 weeks or less, I remove my cover before I leave and put it on when I return home. I have lost 2 when traveling.

Dave H M

IL

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/20 08:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Excellent point there cummins [emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> NEVER TO OLD TO LEARN (new tricks)
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.