|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Thor Axis 24.1

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/15/20 07:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

carringb wrote:

Gjac wrote:

From what I see most of these smaller C's get about 10 mpgs with the V-10's don't know if 45 more HP in the newer eng will do better but should be much better performance on hills.

The Thor/Axis have the lowest coeffecient of drag of any motorhome. That's what allows them to use a Class 3 (E350) chassis, which has a stricter carbon-emissions limit than the Class 4 chassis. Ford and Thor went through a lot to optimize that sloped front windshield.

Also, the extra power of the new 7.3L is more than the 45 hp on paper might suggest, because the V10 was only chassis certified, and the new engine is dyo certified. For claims both methods are tuned the same, and only the test method differs. The same motor in the F-series is rated at 430 hp using the chassis method. The simplest way to describe the test methods is chassis dyno certified = best load case (no EGR, fan off, A/C off, minimal alternator load etc) and the dyno certified is worst case (will EGR, engine fan maximum engagements, max load of all front-end accessories).

But.... as others have mentioned... Thor's QA program leaves a lot to be desired. Do a very thorough inspection before you buy. You might find some build-quality differences between the same units on the same lot.
I did not know the difference between the two certifications which is an important distinction. If I understand you post completely I think what you are saying is when both use the chassis certified method the real difference in HP is 125 HP. That is a significant difference, especially if it gets the same or better MPG. Do you know if they went with taller gears in the rear end to increase the mpg?

carringb

Corvallis, OR

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/20 09:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gjac wrote:

If I understand you post completely I think what you are saying is when both use the chassis certified method the real difference in HP is 125 HP. That is a significant difference, especially if it gets the same or better MPG. Do you know if they went with taller gears in the rear end to increase the mpg?

The Axis/Vegas 24.1 and 24.3 are built on the E350 for 2021, which comes with 4.10 rear end gears. The larger models are still built on the E450, which comes with 4.56 gears. So yes, the shorter ones should use less fuel, but also have a lower tow rating (18,500 combined vs 22,000 combined).

Bryan

2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

A1ARealtorRick

Gulf Shores, AL

View Profile

Posted: 10/16/20 07:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"......but also have a lower tow rating (18,500 combined vs 22,000 combined)"

But unless you have a Sherman tank as a toad, for most the difference in tow rating is probably a non-issue [emoticon]

. . . never confuse education with intelligence

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 10/16/20 08:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A1ARealtorRick wrote:

But unless you have a Sherman tank as a toad, for most the difference in tow rating is probably a non-issue [emoticon]

I was surprised at the 2020 specs for capacity on such a small coach. Depending on the model there is between 6-7.5k lbs of actual towing capacity. Impressive for such a small coach - or maybe it's because it's a small coach. There are a LOT of larger gassers with almost no capacity left.

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Ridge Silverback 29rw

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 10/16/20 09:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A1ARealtorRick wrote:

I'm not going to look up the weights, or GVWR of the vehicles but at most I bet the ratings allow for a bump of tow ratings of going from 6000 to 10000 lbs. Hardly "Sherman Tank" range.

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 10/16/20 10:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

A1ARealtorRick wrote:

I'm not going to look up the weights, or GVWR of the vehicles but at most I bet the ratings allow for a bump of tow ratings of going from 6000 to 10000 lbs. Hardly "Sherman Tank" range.

Well thanks for that clarification! There goes me wanting to bring my tank along. Just got it set up to flat tow too...

A1ARealtorRick

Gulf Shores, AL

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/20 05:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

A1ARealtorRick wrote:

So what kind of toad DO you plan to tow in the "6000-10,000 pound" range? That's still pretty heavy.

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/20 06:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

way2roll wrote:

JRscooby wrote:

A1ARealtorRick wrote:

Well thanks for that clarification! There goes me wanting to bring my tank along. Just got it set up to flat tow too...

A1ARealtorRick wrote:

JRscooby wrote:

A1ARealtorRick wrote:

So what kind of toad DO you plan to tow in the "6000-10,000 pound" range? That's still pretty heavy.

My point is that a 3500 lb change in GCVWR means less than the same change in GVWR. And any time a rating increases some of it is used up in extra weight of the vehicle,

A1ARealtorRick

Gulf Shores, AL

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/20 07:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

way2roll wrote:

JRscooby wrote:

A1ARealtorRick wrote:

A1ARealtorRick wrote:

JRscooby wrote:

A1ARealtorRick wrote:

My point is that a 3500 lb change in GCVWR means less than the same change in GVWR. And any time a rating increases some of it is used up in extra weight of the vehicle,

And my whole point was the Axis can tow pretty much any typical toad whether it be the lower or higher rating, in that even something like a Honda Pilot or Jeep Wrangler Unlimited don't weigh more than 4500 pounds. And, the Axis being pretty much a 2-person unit, the toad would most likely be a smaller, lighter vehicle yet.

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/17/20 09:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

way2roll wrote:

A1ARealtorRick wrote:

I was surprised at the 2020 specs for capacity on such a small coach. Depending on the model there is between 6-7.5k lbs of actual towing capacity. Impressive for such a small coach - or maybe it's because it's a small coach. There are a LOT of larger gassers with almost no capacity left.
You are right my current 33 ft Class A can't tow that much. When I compare specs against other Class A's or space against small Class C's. HP/wt ratio, WB/L ratio all look impressive. The only concern is the quality of Thor products. That is why I asked if any on here actually own one, but not one owner has responded yet.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Thor Axis 24.1
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.