|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Truck Camper Weight...I know, I know

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Lexx

California

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/20 10:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I understand. But we're not talking about some schmoe hauling a 6k lbs camper with a F150. We're talking about a F450 carrying a 6500 lb Host Mammoth and the like, which are technically over the payload of any F450 and most F350's even. Heck even a Lance 1172 would probably be at least a few hundred pounds over my payload if I add up all the options and install a bank of lithium batteries and solar panels.

Bert the Welder wrote:

Lexx wrote:

I've not read of any issues or accidents involving F450 pickups carrying these mega heavy truck campers, and the owners all seem to report that their truck handles the weight just fine.

Unfortunately, that info would rely on 'people'. 'People' that dropped just shy of $200k on something and don't want to admit problems. 'People' that say their stock 1/2 ton carries their 5000lb camper just fine.

2017 Ruby Red Platinum F450 - my kids call her "Big Red"
2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Lexx

California

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/21 10:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FYI, on another forum a member posted that he recently got caught up in an operation by CHP where they were pulling all RV's over and checking weights and driver's license classes. Regarding weights, they had a scale that measured the load on the rear axle. They looked at the load rating of the rear tires to determine if someone was overweight. They did NOT look at the yellow payload sticker.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/21 11:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lexx wrote:

FYI, on another forum a member posted that he recently got caught up in an operation by CHP where they were pulling all RV's over and checking weights and driver's license classes. Regarding weights, they had a scale that measured the load on the rear axle. They looked at the load rating of the rear tires to determine if someone was overweight. They did NOT look at the yellow payload sticker.

Sounds like California government found another revenue source in shrinking economy.
Better check your bicycle license.
But between truckers - Washington has the worse reputation for harassing drivers.

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 01/04/21 07:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lexx wrote:

What forum, what member?

I hope you don't mind but as written it's just another one of those "sister's boyfriend's cousin's former best friend from 2nd grade" type stories. It would be nice to be able to at least see the thread and see how first hand the story really is.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 01/04/21 07:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mkirsch wrote:

I hope you don't mind but as written it's just another one of those "sister's boyfriend's cousin's former best friend from 2nd grade" type stories. It would be nice to be able to at least see the thread and see how first hand the story really is.

I agree. Besides, they’d also have to check the tire pressures since load is highly dependent on that. Also, just checking the tires would mean just putting higher rated tires on while exceeding the axle rating would be ok.

There’s been “stories” like this for years, but nobody is ever able to give the details first hand.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 01/04/21 09:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jimh425 wrote:

There’s been “stories” like this for years, but nobody is ever able to give the details first hand.

I recall 1 report given 1st hand by our BC member.
But that was 1 in all those years forum exist.

Lexx

California

View Profile

Posted: 01/04/21 03:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here you go. Read starting with post #41: https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/showthre........ight-Questions/page5?p=339404#post339404

jimh425 wrote:

mkirsch wrote:

I agree. Besides, they’d also have to check the tire pressures since load is highly dependent on that. Also, just checking the tires would mean just putting higher rated tires on while exceeding the axle rating would be ok.

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 01/04/21 04:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I saw that somebody spoke to someone who got a ticket. That’s still second hand or did I miss it? Or, counting you or I, third hand.

Lexx

California

View Profile

Posted: 01/04/21 04:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The person who responded to the thread was himself stopped and had his truck/trailer weighed. He posted that what the CHP officer did was to weigh his rear axle and look at the load ratings of his rear tires to determine if he was overweight. It's as simple as that.

jimh425 wrote:

I saw that somebody spoke to someone who got a ticket. That’s still second hand or did I miss it? Or, counting you or I, third hand.

mbloof

Beaverton, OR

View Profile

Posted: 01/04/21 05:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Historically these arguments follow four general themes:

First one is that the numbers on the door sticker are legally binding. Sub arguments on this theme follow ether the payload or GVWR and delve into DOT, State or local level rules (laws?) that have law enforcement writing tickets for non-compliance. Some go so far as ether having roadblocks with portable weigh stations or LEO's carrying scales with them.

Since just about every car+truck has to have the sticker, there has to be some reason for it right?

Second one is in the case of a accident anyone that is over ether GVWR or payload numbers is more at fault or instantly at fault making the person with the 'over weight' rig liable for everything. Added bonus is that the LEO's carry scales with them (or simply haul them) to accident scenes (or repair shops) and anyone "over weight" is at fault.

Third is that you better check the fine print of your insurance documentation as your insurance company is going to deny coverage if you are "over weight". Again here if the first two don't get you, your insurance company (or the OTHER company(s) will) have someone weigh your rig and if your "over weight" your screwed.

Last but not least forth theme is that you will get sued and loose everything because you are "over weight" of the values on the door sticker. (and were involved in a accident)

I've seen and heard of all of the above arguments over the years and recently in other forums. Over the years I've seen many in this forum.

At last I checked, nobody has ever passed on first hand knowledge and experience with any of them actually happening to them.

- Mark0.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Truck Camper Weight...I know, I know
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.