|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> motorized awnings

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
bobndot

USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/20 01:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Solera awnings
I have to unscrew a holding screw then use a cordless drill or ratchet to roll it back in. I would need to stand on a picnic table or carry a folding ladder to reach the deployed awning motor for access.

GDS-3950BH

DC

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/20 01:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bobndot wrote:

Solera awnings
I have to unscrew a holding screw then use a cordless drill or ratchet to roll it back in. I would need to stand on a picnic table or carry a folding ladder to reach the deployed awning motor for access.

Solara = Lippert = Overpriced Garbage. Even more so than Dometic or C of C, and thats saying something.

bobndot

USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/20 04:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[emoticon] This kind of rv quality makes us thankful for shady trees.

Someone here once took a sawsall to his broken awning during a camping trip. [emoticon]
I have had a few malfunctions on the manual C of C models. The scissor models that pull straight out like a shade , have even more problems.

I always carry tarps and an e z up awning. And my go to tool , a SAWSALL.

Lumpty

Greater Gotham City

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/20 03:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a power awning. Wish it was a basic manual one like I had on my 1995 Gulfstream Class C. My particular electric one is somewhat basic, with manually adjustable arms, and will not roll itself up when it gets windy.

There is also an interlock that I found out about the hard way a couple of years ago, where it turns out the switch for it will not operate if the chassis engine is on. It was a putrid hot day in south central Virginia dry camping, and had started the engine to run the dash A/C while I finished up with packing a few last things. It would not roll up. Ended up taking it apart and manually rolling it up with some help, which required taking the motorized end off the arm, then reattaching the arm and holding it all to the side sort of where it was supposed to be via bungies and light duty tie-down straps (always carry at least 4 for surprises like this!). Troubleshooting it a couple of weeks later, I figured out the issue was operator error. Of course, no documentation from Forest River or Dometic that the lockout of the switch was a thing.

While it's a novelty to open and close it from that rocker switch by the door, IMHO its an unnecessary complication on a 24' Class C.

Rob

Too Many Toys.
- '11 E450 Sunseeker 2300
- '16 F150 Supercrew 5.0/FX4
- '09 C6 Z51
- '15 VW Golf Sportwagen daily driver
- '86 Civic and '87 CRX race cars

slider45

GA

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/20 08:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's a little steep price for motorized awning replacement imo.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> motorized awnings
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.