|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> California DL towing an Exactly 10,000 lb GVWR trailer

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/13/20 06:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Actually they don’t.
Go back and read. It’s 10k on a class C license

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

azdryheat

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/13/20 06:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How are the authorities going to find out how much your trailer weighs? You're exempt from the scales. I doubt anyone is going to messing with you. I did hear that the CHP are pulling over triple axle toy haulers to see if the driver has his non-commercial Class A since those trailers are all over 15,000 pounds GVWR and easy to spot.

2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2011 Harley Ultra Limited
2016 RZR 900

jthrv

Los Angeles

View Profile

Posted: 10/14/20 03:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

azdryheat wrote:

How are the authorities going to find out how much your trailer weighs? You're exempt from the scales. I doubt anyone is going to messing with you. I did hear that the CHP are pulling over triple axle toy haulers to see if the driver has his non-commercial Class A since those trailers are all over 15,000 pounds GVWR and easy to spot.

The gross vehicle weight Rating is on a sticker on the outside of trailer, it is the maximum weight, not the actual weight.

I keep on thinking I must be missing something. The trailer I would like to buy is manufactured by a California company, they must know about the DMV handbook. And DMV must know about the statute.

There are any number of people who could stand in my way and they could point to what the DMV handbook says. The Forest Service, the Park Service, BLM, Army Corps of Engineers, State Parks, County Parks, campground hosts, tow truck drivers, storage yards, repair shops, DMV employees all could say that I have to hire someone to move the trailer and pay to store it until I got a special license. I could be hundreds or even thousands of miles from home. But that is minor compared to the potential legal liability.

There has got to be a good reason for this.

* This post was last edited 10/14/20 06:00am by jthrv *   View edit history

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 10/14/20 08:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Employees of parks, storage yards, repair shops, etc. have no reason to see your driver's license and know what type of license you have. They are not in the business of enforcing driver's licensing laws, and might only get involved to interfere if you're trying to do something patently unsafe.

The DMV (at some level) presumably does know about and know the statute. The DMV handbook, however, is not infallible, and was written or edited by someone who didn't read the particular statute carefully, or who was slightly careless with their use of language. It doesn't take too much imagination to see how "not exceeding x" could become "under x" without someone noticing that they aren't precisely the same thing mathematically speaking.

I honestly believe you're overthinking this, and worrying excessively. Any possible legal liability, beyond any fines and fees for lacking the proper class of license which would not apply as you'd be properly licensed, would be covered by your liability insurance; that's basically why you have insurance.

LLeopold

Windsor, CO USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/15/20 11:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A few years ago, I went through adding a restriction (yes, I said restriction) upgrade in California for my RV endorsement. Read on.

For California, one can tow a fifth-wheel 10,000 lbs or less with a Class C (standard) license.

10,001 to 15,000 lbs. requires an RV endorsement, but the key words to ask the DMV is "Restriction 41", which is the endorsement. This endorsement requires a non-commercial Class A written test, but not the road test, nor the medical form. The DMV workers do not know what the RV endorsement is, but they do know what Restriction 41 is, so if you go for this, make sure that you use these words, otherwise you'll be there for 2-3 hours like I was while they look it up and argue with you that there is no such thing (even though I showed them the manual from the web site).

15,001 and over requires a non-commercial Class A license, which includes the written test, a road test with trailer (and I found there might be a parallel parking portion with trailer - a former moderator DianneOK had this happen to her a few years ago, and a medical form submittal every two years.

Finally, if you want to double tow (tow vehicle, fifth-wheel, boat trailer), you must get a Commercial Class A with the double towing endorsement. There is no non-commercial license for this type of towing in California.

The precise wording on the back of my Class C CA drivers license read as follows:

CLASS C - Veh w/GVWR <= 26000. NO M/C
ENDORSEMENTS: None
RESTRICTIONS: 41-ClassA restricted to operating fifth-wheel travel trailer between 10,001 and 15,000 GVWR

There was no cost to add the endorsement and it was renewed automatically when my CA license expired.

So, if you're at that "edge" of 10,000 and 10,001, go for the endorsement and sleep well at night.

PS: Now that I'm living in Colorado and awaiting my DMV appointment (December was the earliest appointment I could get), I'm checking into CO RV endorsements along the same line.

Lou Leopold
Between RVs at this point
but I continue to tent camp!

jthrv

Los Angeles

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/20 02:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LLeopold, "Restriction 41" is very interesting, thanks for the explanation.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> California DL towing an Exactly 10,000 lb GVWR trailer
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.