RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Help why is my battery terminal corroded and sparking?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Help why is my battery terminal corroded and sparking?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Etstorm

Frankston,TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/13/20 09:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I will ask the obvious

Is the connection tight?

rvshrinker

Beautiful Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/14/20 10:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's possible the connection was not very tight. I cleaned everything up and tightened it and there was a tiny spark, which as some have mentioned might be normal. Obviously it's right next to my propane so I don't want to take any chances. I have to unhook my connections every time we get home and take off because I have an electric dolly to move my trailer into its carport, and the dolly requires the trailer batteries for power.

I will add some vaseline as well.

The batteries are original 3 yo 6v deep cycle. The trailer stays plugged in at all times we are not camping. I never use the tiny solar panel and it's under a carport anyway.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/14/20 11:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rvshrinker wrote:

I have to unhook my connections every time we get home and take off because I have an electric dolly to move my trailer into its carport, and the dolly requires the trailer batteries for power.

The batteries are original 3 yo 6v deep cycle. The trailer stays plugged in at all times we are not camping. I never use the tiny solar panel and it's under a carport anyway.

^ That sounds like a pain in the ___, unless it's only couple times a year. Wire up a simple winch plug or similar and plug the dolly in when needed.
But you didn't address the most important question. Are you slow cooking your batteries or not?

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Ava

Vancouver Island. BC Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/14/20 02:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Getting a spark when hooking up to a battery terminal means there is a draw on the system that is waiting for power. You need to know what is operating directly from the battery.

BarabooBob

Baraboo, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/14/20 07:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Unless you have a battery disconnect switch that is turned off or have the battery fuse in the converter removed, you almost always have a circuit wanting power. On my TT, things that are always drawing power are the CO detector and the radio (even when turned off) When you attach the battery cable, there will be a spark as the circuit is completed for these items.

Bob & Dawn Married 32 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/15/20 09:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you have a multimeter set it to 10 amps and check the amp draw. If you see several amps something is left on. If less than 1 amp it is it is normal parasitic draw. My is about .4amps and will spark when I connect my neg cable to post. Don't overfill cells with water, clean connections every so often, and clean the top of your batteries also to minimize self discharge.

Diamond c

West ky

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/20 06:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A small spark when conecting battery cables is normal. You can buy battery carosion remover and preventer at autozone. Works very good.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Help why is my battery terminal corroded and sparking?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.