|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Handling freezing temperatures

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
OldGrouch53

View Profile

Posted: 10/14/20 07:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am a first time RVer and need some advice on staying in my RV when the temperature gets below freezing with regards to frozen pipes – I am going to Bryce Canyon in Utah later this month. I have a class B van conversion.
I have instructions for winterizing my RV but am hoping some simpler steps apply since I will be in the RV with the heater on.
Regards,
Frank

corvettekent

Marysville, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/14/20 07:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have been down as low as 23 degrees with no frozen pipes but we were not hooked up to power or water.

If you are planning to be in a RV park with hook ups you will need to disconnect your water hose.

2007.5 GMC Dually EC/LB, LMM. Banks IQ, Speed Brake, Six Gun. B&W Turnover Ball, Companion Hitch, Amp power steps. Hadley Air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT and four 6 volt batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

Lwiddis

near Jawbone Canyon, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/14/20 08:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Simpler steps are less effective. Are your tanks insulated? Heated? Any exposed water lines underneath? Outside shower? Can you run the propane heater all night with your batteries? How will you recharge?

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

smarty

new mexico

View Profile

Posted: 10/14/20 10:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Assuming your rig is fully enclosed since it is a van? Would therefore assume your heater will keep all pipes internal to the van from freezing? Disconnect water supply before going to bed and you should be good to go? If the water supply is a "short run" you could also use a heat tape on the water line and be okay depending on how cold it gets. Could also easily wrap the line/heat tape with some type of foam pipe wrap.

SteveAE

Bend, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 10/14/20 10:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It really depends.
- How cold it gets (a couple hours of slightly below freezing isn't likely to be a problem)
- How long it stays below freezing
- How well your rig is insulated
- How warm you keep it inside
- How lucky you are!!!!!!!!!!!

That said, Brice will probably be in the lower 20's at night and below freezing for five, or more, hours. So, unless your pipes are insulated (or inside the heated envelope of your rig), you could have problems. Most likely though, the problem won't be a broken pipe (hopefully), just ice in the lines so maybe no water until it thaws out. Me, I would just keep the heat on and see what happens..... But, of course, you are risking possible damage. Another option would be winterizing the rig and just keep jugs of water inside for your use (don't worry about the black and grey tanks).

Do keep in mind that RV furnaces draw quite a bit of power. So, unless you have hook-ups (or solar), you might want to have a generator along to recharge your battery.

Beautiful time of year to be in Brice. Have fun.

Lwiddis

near Jawbone Canyon, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/14/20 11:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wish I was going to Bryce!

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/14/20 11:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Noone except someone with your particular RV and experience in those conditions can say with certainty.
However "generally" below freezing at night and above freezing during the day (not 0 at night and 38deg at 4pm, more reasonable temps) is of no concern.

Since I'm sure you looked at the forecast which is - not surprisingly - clear n sunny, with temps in the 50s/60s daytime and 20s for lows, I wouldn't even hesitate or give it a second thought.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Handling freezing temperatures
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.