|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Ford 6L diesel in the news again

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next
Sponsored By:
BenK

SF BayArea

View Profile

Posted: 10/14/20 07:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Appeals court: Ford committed fraud by selling defective Super Duty trucks

Why I've never liked class action...let's the OEM dodge the bigger bullet

-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

ShinerBock

SATX

View Profile

Posted: 10/14/20 07:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I guess my father-in-law got lucky with his 2003 6.0L in his old F350. He sold it with over 300k on it, and never had emissions issues. He tuned it around 120k and started having fuel pump/injector issues around 250k, but other than that no issues with the engine. He had to replace the transmission twice within 175k miles due to burning up the O/D clutches, but I that was his fault because he never take O/D off when towing or use tow/haul. After his seconds trans, he took my advice to use tow/haul and take off O/D and he had no problems with the trans lasting.

smarty

new mexico

View Profile

Posted: 10/14/20 08:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My son's truck was a total loss when the fuel pump failed and sent metal shards through his engine. Ford knew of this issue but did nothing about it. Ford SHOULD have replaced the fuel pumps on these trucks. The next model year they changed out the fuel pump to a different type...

I will never own a Ford...

ShinerBock

SATX

View Profile

Posted: 10/14/20 08:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

smarty wrote:

My son's truck was a total loss when the fuel pump failed and sent metal shards through his engine. Ford knew of this issue but did nothing about it. Ford SHOULD have replaced the fuel pumps on these trucks. The next model year they changed out the fuel pump to a different type...

On the 6.0? Are you sure you are not mistaking it for the 6.7L? The 6.0L had the same HEUI pump that the 7.3L had, and was not known to grenade like that. If fact, I have never heard of one grenade like that. They just generally loose pressure when they fail.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/14/20 10:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^ Ya Shiner, but “your” story isn’t near as dramatic and flashy.....
I love just listening to people talk who don’t know a muffler bearing from blinker fluid!

Just last night at sons hockey practice, one of the dads is braggin up his new 38’ TT that he bought last week.
Basically he got one upped by another dad who bought a peenis enlarging 5ver and towed it to the last tourney and “saved money” by not staying in the hotel (for one night, 700 mile round trip...lol). But I digress...
Dad with the new TT, he and the other dude are “camping” this weekends tournament in Boise, cause a $48 RV spot is cheaper than the hotel.... He11 I ran the numbers and it was break even driving the TC over there compared to 3 nights hotel and taking the SRT. Plus with the car I can get to Boise in about 2 hours quicker.
Asked him how it tows (his tow rig is a tundra with about a 8” lift and brodozer wheels, biguns like 37 15.50s or something). He said “great, towed like a dream, still got 15 mpg too.”
I’d love to follow him up Vantage hill and see what he considers a dream!
He’s a dumb arse btw. Nice guy but...wears bedazzled Western jeans and he’s a city slicker.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/14/20 10:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BTW my digression is about as pertinanet as any 6.0no Ford news ....

Bionic Man

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 10/14/20 10:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm no fan of the 6.0, but stuff like this is one of the reasons that new trucks are so expensive. The original award was over 10 times the truck's value.

2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 10/14/20 10:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

smarty wrote:

Both the 6.0L and 6.4L "base engine" were designed by Navistar. It was a very "messy" divorce.

* This post was edited 10/14/20 03:55pm by theoldwizard1 *

fx2tom

CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/14/20 11:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

theoldwizard1 wrote:

smarty wrote:

Both the 6.0L and 6.7L "base engine" were designed by Navistar. It was a very "messy" divorce.

6.4 not 6.7. 6.7 Ford went it on their own

2002 Ford F250 Lariat 7.3l 4x4 CCSB
2007 Forest River Sierra Sport M-26FBSP
SOLD - 2016 Nissan Titan XD SL 4x4 Cummins
SOLD - 2014 Forest River Surveyor 32BHTS

ShinerBock

SATX

View Profile

Posted: 10/14/20 11:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fx2tom wrote:

6.4 not 6.7. 6.7 Ford went it on their own

Yep!

The 6.9L, 7.3L, 6.0L, and 6.4L were all Navistar engines. The 6.7L was mostly designed and built by Ford.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Ford 6L diesel in the news again
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.