|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Henry Tropi-Cool VS EPDM Roof Coatings

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
TenOC

On the road -- Full time

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/14/20 05:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

EPDM Liquid RV Roof VS Henry Tropi-Cool

I need to recoat my 7-year-old 5th wheels roof. About 5 years ago I used EPDM RV liquid roof coating on a travel trailer. But after a number of years it started peeling up. I am thinking about using Henry's silicon roof coat this time.

I am looking for some real-life experience on the 2 products. Other product suggestions are welcome.

Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

Lwiddis

Camping near Pearsonville, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/14/20 05:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

“But after a number of years it started peeling up.”

That is normal, expected. Sounds like good service. One of the reasons I re-coat every year with Heng’s, a thin coating.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 10/14/20 06:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good question. When we bought the sig Class C it had been splashed crudely all over the roof (and here and there on roof things) with some kind of white (ish) stuff. It started to peel off the first winter rains. Big pieces of rubbery skin, exposing the old rubber roof (in bad shape)

RV guy says that is from poor application. They do it right indoors with controlled high temps and are fussy about it all.

So it may not be the different products at issue, but how they are applied. Still, I am hoping to learn more about this too. I have used Eternabond a lot to fight the small leaks here and there as they have showed up in the three years since. Hasn't been that bad, but annoying when it happens.

It looks like one of those cartoons where a guy cut himself lots of places shaving and stuck bits of Kleenex on each cut! [emoticon] The RV guy said he would not bother with an overall coating doing it myself or the same peeling thing would happen, even doing it in the summer when it is warm and dry for enough days in a row. So I just keep buying more Eternabond. [emoticon]

Still, I would like to cover it all so it looks nice and stays waterproof for a few years. Getting those roof guys in to do it costs more than I paid for the whole MH it seems like. Phooey on that

1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

beemerphile1

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 10/14/20 08:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wonder why you need to coat an EPDM roof membrane. They last 30+ years on a building without doing anything to them.

The RV EPDM membrane itself is typically warrantied against failure for 12 years. What would be the effect on the warranty if you slather on some other product?

Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 10/14/20 08:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IMHO, you are quickly approaching the time to peel it off an recover. Forget EPDM. Maximum life of about 10 years. PVC or TPO, commercial grade.

cavie

Port Charlotte Fl/ Hindsdale MA

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/20 05:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why did you recoat a 2 year old roof???????? warrantied for 12 years????? it peeled because of improper preparation. No new coating is gonna stay down without removing all the old first. I recoated 2 roofs. First was 16 years old. 2nd was 9.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

TurnThePage

North ID

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/20 06:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

beemerphile1 wrote:

I wonder why you need to coat an EPDM roof membrane. They last 30+ years on a building without doing anything to them.

The RV EPDM membrane itself is typically warrantied against failure for 12 years. What would be the effect on the warranty if you slather on some other product?
One really good reason is that even if the EPDM roof is still in reasonable condition, after a few years it's mostly black and gets super hot in the sun. When I recoated mine, the entire RV stayed much cooler.

2015 Ram 1500
2004 Pioneer 18T6

TenOC

On the road -- Full time

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/15/20 06:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TurnThePage wrote:

One really good reason is that even if the EPDM roof is still in reasonable condition, after a few years it's mostly black and gets super hot in the sun. When I recoated mine, the entire RV stayed much cooler.

TurnThePage what did you use? Are you happy?

TurnThePage

North ID

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/20 06:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TenOC wrote:

TurnThePage what did you use? Are you happy?

I used the Hengs product. It's only been a little over 2 years so I can't make any grand claims, but so far I'm very happy with it.

My roof is only about 18' long. It took about a gallon and a half to get three coats on it. Application was simple. It was a hot day when I did it, so it was almost drying too fast, and was starting to skin over in the tray. Two partial days to clean and prep, and one day to apply the three coats.

Robert Clark

United State

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/20 06:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I purchased Rubberseal to recoat the roof of my trailer as it's the best economical option. I've had good luck with hengs on EPDM roofs with great success. Be sure to prep your roof correctly and apply as directed and you should have good results. I've ordered 2 different times from this supplier. Both times I had it in my hands within 3 days even though the expected delivery date was 5-10 days.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Henry Tropi-Cool VS EPDM Roof Coatings
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.