RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Snowbirds: no Can/US border opening for a long time

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Snowbirds

Open Roads Forum  >  Snowbirds

 > no Can/US border opening for a long time

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
Tequila

Canada - Summer, Mexico - Winter

Senior Member

Joined: 12/01/2012

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/15/20 04:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/ne........order-not-reopening-covid-19/3661758001/

Lwiddis

Camping near Pearsonville, CA

Senior Member

Joined: 08/12/2016

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 10/15/20 04:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I understand Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s position. It’s our border together but either partner can close it for the protection of its citizens.


Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)


corvettekent

Marysville, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 09/21/2014

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 10/15/20 05:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We will miss our Canadian friends in Arizona this winter.


2007.5 GMC Dually EC/LB, LMM. Banks IQ, Speed Brake, Six Gun. B&W Turnover Ball, Companion Hitch, Amp power steps. Hadley Air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT and four 6 volt batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.


rlw999

Washington State

New Member

Joined: 08/19/2020

View Profile



Posted: 10/16/20 12:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I understand Canada's policy, but I don't understand the USA's -- why does the USA allow Canadians to fly to the USA, but not drive across the border?

JaxDad

Greater Toronto Area

Senior Member

Joined: 08/02/2011

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 10/16/20 05:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rlw999 wrote:

I understand Canada's policy, but I don't understand the USA's -- why does the USA allow Canadians to fly to the USA, but not drive across the border?


Simple, they have lots of time to vet a person for temperature etc, while they are still in Canada at an airport. They can also better track where they are in order to enforce quarantine. Crossing by land makes quarantine very difficult to follow.

Dick_B

Palos Heights, IL USA

Senior Member

Joined: 07/10/2002

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 10/16/20 07:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No only do Canadians bring lots of germs to the US they also send us their cold weather[emoticon]


Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

valhalla360

No paticular place.

Senior Member

Joined: 08/19/2009

View Profile



Posted: 10/16/20 07:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JaxDad wrote:

rlw999 wrote:

I understand Canada's policy, but I don't understand the USA's -- why does the USA allow Canadians to fly to the USA, but not drive across the border?


Simple, they have lots of time to vet a person for temperature etc, while they are still in Canada at an airport. They can also better track where they are in order to enforce quarantine. Crossing by land makes quarantine very difficult to follow.


More likely a tit for a tat reaction to subtly put pressure on Canada to back down. They can't really complain about us stopping their citizens crossing if they are stopping ours.

At best they take your temp at the airport and ask you if you have symptoms...they can do the same thing at a land crossing.

There are generally no quarantines actually being enforced anyway and it's not hard to move about the country once you are in by land or air, so not hard to leave the more strict states.


Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er


Tequila

Canada - Summer, Mexico - Winter

Senior Member

Joined: 12/01/2012

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/16/20 08:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yesterday Wisconsin had 7700 new Covid cases. BC had 147. The population of both is between 5 & 6 million. I dont think the US/Canada border will be opening any time soon. As far as flying is concerned, I suspect they will be rapid testing by year end. IF they can do a 15 min test in the departure lounge it would make flying much safer. That along with an N95 mask (which I have), I may, just may, get on a plane. I do have to try and get to Puerto Vallarta for about 3 days to handle soem immigration paperwork before eteh end of Feb. If possible.

[image]

valhalla360

No paticular place.

Senior Member

Joined: 08/19/2009

View Profile



Posted: 10/16/20 08:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tequila wrote:

As far as flying is concerned, I suspect they will be rapid testing by year end. IF they can do a 15 min test in the departure lounge it would make flying much safer. That along with an N95 mask (which I have), I may, just may, get on a plane.


They can administer a 15 min test just as easily at a land border and masks are pointless if you are in a private car.

BarbaraOK

On The Road

Senior Member

Joined: 10/27/2003

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/16/20 09:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

JaxDad wrote:

rlw999 wrote:

I understand Canada's policy, but I don't understand the USA's -- why does the USA allow Canadians to fly to the USA, but not drive across the border?


Simple, they have lots of time to vet a person for temperature etc, while they are still in Canada at an airport. They can also better track where they are in order to enforce quarantine. Crossing by land makes quarantine very difficult to follow.


More likely a tit for a tat reaction to subtly put pressure on Canada to back down. They can't really complain about us stopping their citizens crossing if they are stopping ours.

At best they take your temp at the airport and ask you if you have symptoms...they can do the same thing at a land crossing.

There are generally no quarantines actually being enforced anyway and it's not hard to move about the country once you are in by land or air, so not hard to leave the more strict states.


Flying you leave point A and get to point B. If you are infected, then the spread is limited to point B, and once symptoms begin hopefully you stay quarantined until you recover.

Driving, it is A to B to C to D, etc., leaving a trail of virus behind. Like the spread after Sturgis - - people going all over the country. And if you get ill along the way, chances are you will keep going to get to where you can isolate and care for yourself.


Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006
Figment II (2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) ">
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761
Our Blog


Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Snowbirds

 > no Can/US border opening for a long time
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Snowbirds


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.