|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Cover or not to cover

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
spoon059

Just north of D.C.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/16/20 04:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bukhrn wrote:

Now I know we don't all have the same options, but if you have the option, I'd build, (or have built) a metal car port, (or RV Port if you wish), mine is 20x40, no longer worry about sun, rain, or snow, best investment I've ever made for the RV.

Same, metal Carolina Carport that I just back the trailer underneath. Keeps the roof and sides dry, sun and leaves off the roof. Slide is out all the time, hooked up to 15amps all the time to stay charged. Camper stays much cleaner and looks newer longer, which should increase resale value.

No hassle of covering/uncovering. Easier to pack/unpack in inclement weather. If it snows before our February Florida trip, doesn't affect the trailer. $2400 delivered and assembled. It will work out to less than $200 a year when we sell the house. Who knows, the next owner may see the carport as an added bonus too!

2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

MitchF150

Puyallup, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/16/20 06:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yep, I'd want my trailer to have all this stuff on it after a winter in the NW and parked under trees.. [emoticon]

[image]

I cover mine.. [emoticon]

Good luck! Mitch
[image]

2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

Super_Dave

Harrisville, UT

View Profile

Posted: 10/16/20 06:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For those that build, what did you figure the break even point of building versus paying for covered storage was? After getting some bids on a RV port style cover with 1/3 sides, it was a 9 year break even.

Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

OLEJOE

N. Louisiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/16/20 08:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kellem wrote:

Covered for years without issue until we had extremely damp winter and spent many hours cleaning up mildew on roof and interior.

Fast forward.....we now leave trailer uncovered, plugged up, slides out, furnace set at 40* and rub 303 on roof and exterior every 2 months.

Trailer stays fully stocked so we can take off anytime, much much better.

We’re kinda impulsive about our travels too. ????

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/16/20 08:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They make covers for RVs? Who knew? [emoticon]

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

mr_andyj

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/20 09:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

COVER COVER COVER COVER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I cant stress this enough, cover it.
RV are build so cheaply. Water damage is for sure.
I have seen so many RVs ruined due to just a little water damage.
Water damage is expensive.

UV rays also destroy.
UV rays get inside the window, ruin fabric, or ruin the closed curtains. Ruin carpet...

spoon059

Just north of D.C.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/18/20 08:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Super_Dave wrote:

For those that build, what did you figure the break even point of building versus paying for covered storage was? After getting some bids on a RV port style cover with 1/3 sides, it was a 9 year break even.

I paid $2400 for mine and we anticipate staying in the house for 12 years from the time it was purchased. That makes it $200 a year for covered storage. I have no clue what it would cost to get covered storage, but I know that outside storage in my area is about $225 A MONTH for a 35' camper. That place is 17.6 miles away in a sketchy neighborhood. It would take less than 11 months to recoup my costs vs UNCOVERED storage in my area. That doesn't include the increased resale value on my camper because its cleaner, less sun damaged, doesn't have any water leaks, doesn't have moisture issues because I can keep windows open year round to equalize moisture, etc.

For $17 a month I park it under cover in my side yard. Peace of mind is worth it. In 6 years when we sell the house, if the carport isn't wanted by the new owner its pretty easy to disassemble and scrap, or I can offer it for free to someone to come and move it if they want it. Recycled asphalt millings can easily be scraped up and transported away. It'll be like it never existed.

Reader1

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/20 04:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had a 5th wheel for 10 years. We covered it for 8 years before having a garage big enough to put it in. DH was careful to add padding to stress places so there was no rubbing in the wind. Our cover allowed him to check his "trap lines" for mice.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Cover or not to cover
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.