RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: On the road breakdown stories..

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> On the road breakdown stories..

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Super_Dave

Harrisville, UT

View Profile

Posted: 10/16/20 05:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some buddies and I did a day trip to the lake to do some fishing and on our way home we followed a travel trailer that was driving erratically. Several miles down the highway the trailer blew a tire and the driver never knew it. It took us a bit to catch up to him but finally waved him over. That trailer was all over the road. I don't know if that lead to the tire blowing or the bad tire led to the trailer wondering all over the place.

Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

ken56

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/16/20 05:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We were on our way to Florida on 441 in Georgia and just north of Douglas we blew a wheel bearing. I limped into a Walmart to park and try and find a repair shop but it was early evening so we had to overnight in the parking lot. Turns out a guy driving by saw we had a problem and tried to help but he had no access to any parts so he gave me a number to call for a shop just a mile up the road.

I called them in the morning after an interesting night in the parking lot and they sent a guy out to look at the problem. Had to drive it to the shop slowly after we tied up the axle after removing the wheel. Well driving on the scunned up bearing ruined the spindle so I needed a new axle...and yes, they let me see the damage. The shop went above and beyond getting me a replacement axle having had to go to the next county over to get it and worked all day on getting it in place. The people at Amerson tire were the best. We got into Florida and our destination later that same night.

azdryheat

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/16/20 07:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry but I've got no experiences to share. Knocking on wood.

2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2016 RZR 900

8ntw8tn

Southeast Iowa & Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Posted: 10/16/20 09:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1. On a trip to Oregon we had 2 incidents. The first was after we had arrived at our destination and were doing some sightseeing when the transmission failed. I was able to find a private transmission repair shop and the owner did an excellent job of building the transmission to a greater towing capability at a very reasonable price. On the way home with a newly built transmission the truck suddenly lost power. We were in a rather remote area of eastern Oregon but made contact with Coachnet and they had us towed to a campgrounds and took the truck on to a diesel repair shop. It turned out to be a minor short and an easy, inexpensive repair.

Several years later, south of OKC, the truck lost partial power. Again Coachnet towed the trailer to a nearby campground and the truck to a dealership. It was after hours so I called the dealership the next morning regarding the repair and was told they probably wouldn't get to it for a week,which was much different than they had told Coachnet the previous day. So I had the truck towed to a recommended private shop. The owner told me I would probably be on the road the next day. Late the next day he called to say that I needed a new harness because this one was shorting out. He knew this because he could see where it had been shorting out. I tried to describe the previous problem a few years back but he wasn't having any of it and insisted that a new harness was needed. He installed the new harness and...that didn't fix it. When I asked what the next step was he said he wasn't sure and would just have to keep checking to see where the short was. Never one to sit on my laurels, I had been making contingency plans. I made arrangements with friends near where we winter in Texas to have two trucks and a trailer brought to our location. We trailered my truck down to Texas and towed our trailer with the remaining truck. Once there I took my truck to a reputable shop I was familiar with. They called that afternoon to tell me the problem was an injector coil that would fail when the motor got warm. Once that injector failed the computer would shut down the other 2 injectors in that bank. Once that injector was replaced all was well. Live and learn!

'08 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax;
'10 Carriage Cameo F35FWS
Det 1 56th SOWg

Nv Guy

Reno NV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/16/20 10:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Years ago heading south pulling our toy hauler. We were about 40 min out when both the DW and I heard something- so I stopped. found the RT RE tire blown, no other damage. Switched the tire, continued on to the next big town, bought a replacement tire, headed out. About 3 hours later the people in a car passing us were gesturing and pointing- yep another tire. This time Left FT, installed spare, found a used tire from a literal side of the road tire shop- continued on. When we got to our destination, I found a tire store and replaced all 4.
Since then, I replace trailer tires when they are 3 years old. Haven't had a series of tire failures like that since.

steveh27

Grosse Pointe Woods, MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/17/20 07:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 1997 Xplorer 230XL, one of the best Class B's of it's time! I bought it in 2000 with 18,000 miles on it and now have 193,000.

As an avid spring turkey hunter I spent many years with it driving to OK, WY an Sd to hunt in early April. On one trip I was 20 miles east of Indianapolis just after dark when it just quit. I was barely able to steer it to the side just past an overpass. I called AAA and they said they'ld have someone out in an hour. The semi's flying by me swayed the rv quite a bit and scared me. I called AAA several more times to explain the nature of my position. Finally a flatbed tow arrived and got me up and on it, the first time on a flatbed. That made me nervous. As I only had free towing for a few miles, I was going to have him drop me off at a service station at the next exit, but the driver said he had to drive back to the city anyway and towed me to the eastside where a Dodge dealer was located. He dropped me off in front of the closed service bay doors and I spent the night there. They got to it right away and they had to drop the fuel tank to replace the fuel pump.

The next time was driving east on 90 across SD. I stopped at a rest area 44 miles west of Chamberlin. When I came back to my RV I saw fluid pouring out under the engine. It was coolant. I called AAA again and a flatbed came from Chamberlin and dropped the RV off at a Dodge dealer just as they were closing. They let me plug into their electric for overnight. They fixed it the next day with quite a bit of needed work. The one good thing was their labor rates were quite a bit less than my local shops outside of Detroit. I had to play an extra $140 or so for the long tow. That had me upgrade to AAA's RV Plus coverage for 100 free miles of towing which I have not needed since.

The last time was snowbirding in FL. I was driving back to the campground when the RV temp gauge shot all the way up. I pulled into a parking lot and checked it out. I had lost all my coolant. I added a gallon of water after it cooled and it came right out as well. As it was late in the day I got towed back to my campsite. The next morning they came and towed me to their small shop. One of the radiator extension lines to the water heater had burst. They ended up disconnecting them and I was good to go without the water heater exchange. I replaced those lines when I got home.

mr_andyj

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/20 09:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

stories:

Trailer got a flat on the drivers side on the interstate far from an exit.
I pulled over to the left side/missle of the interstate area. It was in the desert. I wanted to not be changing the tire while standing in the road. People do not slow down or move over for breakdowns.
I got a ticket for being on the left of the interstate. Apparently this is not legal, even if you have a breakdown. If you have a crash, move to the right or you will get a ticket.

Other story:
I had a utility trailer lose a wheel, or the axle broke. I drug it 11 miles down interstate before I even knew it. I was in the middle of no where of course. The trailer was so perfect, and custom built, but small and not worth a lot value-wise. I could have rented a flatbed trailer and towed my broken trailer home, one-way rental, but decided that would be costly and the closest u-haul was a long way away. I unloaded the trailer, took off the gas lifts, license plate, tongue mechanism and anything else of any value and abandon the trailer. Sad day.

Other story.
In middle of nowhere again, got flat and ran spare but it developed a bubble (belt broke). Truck camper setup with trailer. I lowered air pressure and drive a max of 35mph for 2 hours, wobbling all the way, to get to the nearest town where I barely made it before closing time to get the tire replaced. All there was was a used tire shop. I got a tire that was close enough to the same size...
Foutunately no police passed me with tickets in hand.

Other story:
Water temps rose, steam filled the hood. I was 2 miles from an exit, so pulled into a gas station and parked out of the way. It was late at night, so I asked attendant if I could stay and explained...
I added water but temps still went up, determined it was water pump, so with cold engine I was able to drive a mile or two downhill to Autoparts store. Got a water pump for about $25 and changed it in the parking lot. Fortunately, on this truck it was super easy and required minimal tools and took about 20 mins. Filled up water and got back on the road.

Always carry a lot of tools, and know what tools you need for your vehicle that might be odd tools.

Last story:
Ram trans went out.
I was 20 miles from a trans shop. I had towing coverage for "rv". They said it did not cover a cargo trailer, and that was specifically why I had the RV coverage, and had even been towed before with the cargo trailer. They kept sending 3/4 ton tow trucks that were not able to tow a 7,500 lb truck with a truck camper on it. I spent two nights camping in a small town in a noisy parking lot, spending days calling, then waiting hours for the insurance co to call back with news that towing is on the way. I had to get a relative to drive up 2 hours to actually tow the trailer, and eventually they sent a flatbed tow truck that could tow my truck. They guy drove through low branches and almost ripped everything off the roof. The camper was ten feet off the ground when on the ground and probably 14-15 feet off the ground on that flatbed. I had his phone number and had to ask him to not drive through branches. That was my worst trip, but at least I was close enough to home that I could get rescued and wait at home for the trans fix.
I sold the truck immediately after I got it back home.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> On the road breakdown stories..
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.