|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> crank up antenna won't crank up

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
poorboy

newark,de. usa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/16/20 02:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

stayed at a campground this past week that had no cable, so I tried to use the crank up antenna. It was not cranking and not going up. What I would really like to know is, has anybody changed there's from a crank up to a fixed antenna like the ones you see on airstreams. Not interested in dishes or very expensive satellite systems (nothing that good on TV to spend that kind of money). Thanks in advance.

2013 Chevy 2500 CC LTZ D'Max 4x4
2014 Jayco Eagle 298RLDS
2013 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited
2017 peterbilt.
Truckin 38 yrs. Car Hauler 25 yrs. Camping my whole life

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal 90713

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/16/20 03:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I helped my Son In Law to do just that, he put on the Jack Antenna and to cover the hole left from the crank up antenna you will need This mounting Plate

Worked out nicely. If you scroll down to the pictures you will see what it looks like mounted. It gets great reception.

2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental

Buying A Rental Class C

Chevrolet Based Class C

wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/16/20 04:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’d try to find out why the crank up wouldn’t crank. If it’s a Winegard it’s the absolute best of a mediocre bunch. Have you lubed it lately? There is an annual maintenance procedure that should be followed.

Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

MarkTwain

Northern, Ca. , USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/16/20 04:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

poorboy wrote:

stayed at a campground this past week that had no cable, so I tried to use the crank up antenna. It was not cranking and not going up. What I would really like to know is, has anybody changed there's from a crank up to a fixed antenna like the ones you see on airstreams. Not interested in dishes or very expensive satellite systems (nothing that good on TV to spend that kind of money). Thanks in advance.

Throw away the crank up antenna. Replace it with an antenna that has a little dome receiver that covers the old hole. It is only about 3 inches high. it will automatically search and find TV stations.

mchero

Henniker, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/16/20 06:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wildtoad wrote:

I’d try to find out why the crank up wouldn’t crank. If it’s a Winegard it’s the absolute best of a mediocre bunch. Have you lubed it lately? There is an annual maintenance procedure that should be followed.

Absolutely correct! Apparently it's not properly maintained. Those crank up's are the best as long as the head is good and the transformer is sending power to the head.

Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
07 Fleetwood Discovery 39V
1K Solar dieselrvowners.com
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Prior:1993 Pace Arrow 37' Diesel

ferndaleflyer

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 10/16/20 06:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I got a new Wineguard for $122.

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/17/20 10:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mchero wrote:

wildtoad wrote:

Absolutely correct! Apparently it's not properly maintained. Those crank up's are the best as long as the head is good and the transformer is sending power to the head.
If you look at the top plate there is a small hole that you can put some lube in. I just use WD-40 and stick the red tube in the hole and spray. It is the cheapest solution especially when there is not much worth watching on TV.

bob213

Fresno, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/17/20 10:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Be careful of what you spray around your roof. Silicone is probably the safest thing.
Here's a video that might help and as others have said...You have the best antenna out there. Fix it or replace it with the same. A Batwing addition helps a lot.
mantainence

You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality – Ayn Rand

poorboy

newark,de. usa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/18/20 06:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks to all with great info, it is a great help, with the weather being good, I will tackle this with alot more knowledge, thanks.

D.E.Bishop

Eagle Rock, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/18/20 06:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't know why anyone would call a Winegard Batwing mediocre. I can pull in more with that sitting in front of my home and get more than 80 stations. I can now with the sensor pro get more than with the house rooftop antenna.

The batwing is the best of all RV antennas.

There used to be a member on here that test all of the antennas he could get to test and the best was a Winegard Batwing. By the way his handle was Santa Clarita Jeff, a very nice person.

"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
Back to a 2006 Suzi GV
Roadmaster 5000
Roadmaster Invisibrake

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> crank up antenna won't crank up
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.