RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Beginning RVing: Gas station air/water station water safe?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Gas station air/water station water safe?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
Jwpup

SoCal

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/20 12:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I live in Southern California and all of the gas stations have air/water stations . The gas station attendant said the water should be potable because it’s just straight from the city water, but I think the black retractable water hose is suspect. I think it’s meant to fill up radiator water and not intended as drinking water. Does anyone know if it’s safe to put in your RV and use as drinking water? Does it taste terrible? Does it take any longer to fill? The spout is smaller than that of a hose bib.

ksg5000

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/20 12:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I grew up it was common to drink from our garden hose - that has become unfashionable now - go figure.

Kevin

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/20 12:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Given the potential toxic environment of a gas station I don't use them. Especially a hose used to fill radiators or whatever, think about what on/in the nozzle area.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/20 12:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ksg5000 wrote:

When I grew up it was common to drink from our garden hose - that has become unfashionable now - go figure.
I'll use my home hose to fill the tank - but fill only and not to remain under pressure.

Lwiddis

Camping near Pearsonville, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/17/20 12:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

“The gas station attendant said the water should be potable...” Should be?

I don’t use the water at gas stations unless they have separate RV dump and fill facilities.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

mich800

Pontiac, MI

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/20 12:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jwpup wrote:

I live in Southern California and all of the gas stations have air/water stations . The gas station attendant said the water should be potable because it’s just straight from the city water, but I think the black retractable water hose is suspect. I think it’s meant to fill up radiator water and not intended as drinking water. Does anyone know if it’s safe to put in your RV and use as drinking water? Does it taste terrible? Does it take any longer to fill? The spout is smaller than that of a hose bib.

I cannot think of a water hose that did not come from a potable source. It is the proximity to a source that can cross contaminate the water that differentiates the use. So unless it states potable I would assume it does not comply with that jurisdictions requirements to qualify.

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/17/20 01:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jwpup wrote:

It seems that according to California Proposition 65 everything can cause cancer, or so it seems. I would likely drink it.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/20 01:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you eat gas station Sushi you will have no problems drinking from their water hose. [emoticon]

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/20 01:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gbopp wrote:

If you eat gas station Sushi you will have no problems drinking from their water hose. [emoticon]

100% greater chance getting the chits from the Yesterday’s sushi than the water.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

bikendan

Camano Island, Wash.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/17/20 02:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would never believe a gas station attendant, as to the water quality.
Having worked in gas stations, I personally would not use their for for drinking purposes. And I'm not a water snob.
Home water, Yes. Gas station water, NO. Unless they have a water source that's identified as potable. Like at large truck stops.

Dan- Firefighter, Retired">, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur">, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP">), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Gas station air/water station water safe?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.